• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unguarded border bridges could be route into US

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
hopefully they tear these things down.

Unguarded border bridges could be route into US - Yahoo! News

ACALA, Texas – On each side of a towering West Texas stretch of the $2.4 billion border fence designed to block people from illegally entering the country, there are two metal footbridges, clear paths into the United States from Mexico.

The footpaths that could easily guide illegal immigrants and smugglers across the Rio Grande without getting wet seem to be there because of what amounts to federal linguistics. While just about anyone would call them bridges, the U.S.-Mexico group that owns them calls them something else.

"Technically speaking it's not a bridge, it's a grade control structure," said Sally Spener, spokeswoman for the International Boundary and Water Commission, which maintains the integrity of the 1,200-mile river border between the U.S. and Mexico. The structures under the spans help prevent the river -- and therefore the international border -- from shifting.

Spener said the river was straightened years ago to stabilize and prevent a shift during high river flow. Without the structures, which also help slow the flow of water in the river, she said it could erode its banks, wash out the river bed and degrade natural habitats.

Whatever they're called, there are fresh sneaker tracks on the structures -- indicating they're being used as passages into the country.

After a private meeting with Rio Grande Valley police chiefs Thursday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said news of the unsecured footbridges did not surprise him.

"This is a long border," Perry said. "It's been discouraging that there's something as obvious (as the bridges) and the federal government hasn't addressed it."

Yeah the government should regulate everything in my opinion. Capital, trade, speech, movement of people . . . 911 changed everything and these liberals just sit back and watch.

We have one of the longest un-protected borders IN THE WORLD and you're worried about steel girders?

We have one of the longest un-protected borders IN THE WORLD and you're worried about steel girders?

I want any foot path, foot birdge, tunnle or anything else that makes easy for someone to sneak over here illegally either destroyed or adaquately secured.

That is a gross overstatement. Our border with Mexico is actually one of the most guarded and watched over in the world. Of course im not say its full proof, but most countries couldnt even afford the bill to pay for our border protection out of their entire budget.

That is a gross overstatement. Our border with Mexico is actually one of the most guarded and watched over in the world. Of course im not say its full proof, but most countries couldnt even afford the bill to pay for our border protection out of their entire budget.

yet there's a beach in California where people can just swim 'round the wall.

Borderbeachtj.jpg

Like I said its not full proof, but we do spend much more and have much more equipment and man-power on a border than most anywhere else in the world. Thats just a fact, regardless of your position on immigration.

Edit: I wouldn't even be surprised of the freakin Koreans spent less maintaining their DMZ.

yet there's a beach in California where people can just swim 'round the wall.

Borderbeachtj.jpg

This why there should be border guards stationed right there 24/7.

I want any foot path, foot birdge, tunnle or anything else that makes easy for someone to sneak over here illegally either destroyed or adaquately secured.
Then, again, you're looking in the wrong direction.

I'm talking about our northern border which is, for most of it's length, completely unsecured and non-existent.

I'm talking about our northern border which is, for most of it's length, completely unsecured and non-existent.
Which border are most of the illegals coming in from? Canada is not a dirt poor 3rd world country like Mexico is. So most of the illegals are going to be coming in from our southern border. If Canada was a 3rd world dirt poor country and Mexico was not then most of our illegals would be coming in from the north.

Which border are most of the illegals coming in from? Canada is not a dirt poor 3rd world country like Mexico is. So most of the illegals are going to be coming in from our southern border. If Canada was a 3rd world dirt poor country and Mexico was not then most of our illegals would be coming in from the north.
It still robs power from your argument when you start ranting about unsecured borders.

Also considering that basically half of all undocumented immigrants are visa overstays and many more come in on ships from Asia, ranting about how you want the southern border tighter than a dolphin's ass seems rather irrelevant. Even if by some miracle you did manage to lock the border down, you wont actually do very much to stop the flow of undocumented immigration.

It still robs power from your argument when you start ranting about unsecured borders.

Also considering that basically half of all undocumented immigrants are visa overstays and many more come in on ships from Asia, ranting about how you want the southern border tighter than a dolphin's ass seems rather irrelevant. Even if by some miracle you did manage to lock the border down, you wont actually do very much to stop the flow of undocumented immigration.

That's bull****, because what you're saying is that we shouldn't pursue a solution for a problem of people coming illegally over the border, because our visa policy has problems. That's a separate issue.

No it doesn't because most of the illegals and drug traffickers are coming from the southern border. You take care of the problem areas first and then worry about the smaller stuff second.

Also considering that basically half of all undocumented immigrants illegals are visa overstays and many more come in on ships from Asia, ranting about how you want the southern border tighter than a dolphin's ass seems rather irrelevant.
This is a separate issue that border security and this issue can merely be solved by cutting off countries we have the most visa overstays from until the problem is corrected.

Even if by some miracle you did manage to lock the border down, you wont actually do very much to stop the flow of undocumented illegal immigration.

So your argument is since the faucet leaks we should let it run at full blast? Do you know how idiotic your argument is?

That's bull****, because what you're saying is that we shouldn't pursue a solution for a problem of people coming illegally over the border, because our visa policy has problems. That's a separate issue.
Im saying we should pursue a DIFFERENT method of controlling undocumented immigration.

No it doesn't because most of the illegals and drug traffickers are coming from the southern border.
Except they arent. I do agree that many are, but of the tons of drugs that make it into the US every year, I have a hard time buying that ALL of that, or even a majority of it, is carried by hand across the border.

This is a separate issue that border security and this issue can merely be solved by cutting off countries we have the most visa overstays from until the problem is corrected.
It's not their responsibility to solve our immigration problems. Visa overstays are the US' problem.

So your argument is since the faucet leaks we should let it run at full blast? Do you know how idiotic your argument is?
I agree, that's idiotic....if that was what I was actually saying. Im saying there is a BETTER way to control undocumented immigration rather than locking down every border.

WTF is up with the soft speech? "undocumented immigration". Give me a break. It's illegal immigration.

Making dysfunctional statements makes one wonder if the person has a real grasp on the situation, and if not, does the person have a grasp on any situation. Does the simple concept that the squeaky wheel gets most of the grease make any sense to you? Millions of uneducated, poor, can't speak English, uninvited unwanted future democratic voter mexican illegals breaking in at the southern border, vs, a few thousand educated English speaking Canadians who assimilate seamlessly breaking in at the northers border? Is there any comparison?

Back
Top Bottom