• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ungratefully received.

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My partner showed me this email yesterday from her mother's forum. A poster had gifted a newlywed couple £100 and received in response an email concluding with the words below..

"we were surprised that your contribution didn't seem to match the warmth of your good wishes on our big day. In view of your own position, if you wanted to send any adjustment it would be thankfully received" Link.

We laughed about it, Sarah's advice was to just ignore but I probably would have gone further and said something I would later regret. Things like this are also a reason I avoid wedding invites. One couple I knew sent out a wishlist from an expensive dept store saying they would only accept gifts from the attached list. Didn't go to that wedding either...

What would you do if you got an ungrateful response from a wedding gift?

My partner showed me this email yesterday from her mother's forum. A poster had gifted a newlywed couple £100 and received in response an email concluding with the words below..

We laughed about it, Sarah's advice was to just ignore but I probably would have gone further and said something I would later regret. Things like this are also a reason I avoid wedding invites. One couple I knew sent out a wishlist from an expensive dept store saying they would only accept gifts from the attached list. Didn't go to that wedding either...

Well, I'd say, as long as the happy couple aren't friends, but just a "colleague", then I'd say there's nothing to worry about. A friend wouldn't send a note like that anyway... I'd just for get about it.

Shrug and remember the unexpected behavior.

I would withdraw the contribution. Ungrateful sods.

”In response to your e-mail I have indeed reconsidered the value of my gift in relation to the warmth of my wishes for your future happiness. Therefore, please find enclosed an invoice for a £99 rebate.” :lol:

I would withdraw the contribution. Ungrateful sods.

If I remember correctly, there is a charge to withdraw or cancel a cheque in the UK. I agree the sentiment though.

I would say, if you're unhappy with it, feel free to send it back.

Consider the source has no class and understand that they probably are not actually a friend.

I can hardly believe someone really did this. I can believe someone would make up a story like this to stir the ****, but an individual actually doing this, no.

I can hardly believe someone really did this. I can believe someone would make up a story like this to stir the ****, but an individual actually doing this, no.

Sadly I think it really is true. Think yourself lucky you haven't me people like this which is why you don't believe it would happen. Unfortunately, I have met people like this - even this year. Some people just want more when they get a free gift sometimes.

So someone reads the Miss Manners column (besides me) and posts the letters written to a message board?

That one didn't come in an email.

My response to that? Yes, I'd like to make an adjustment. Please return the money I gave you since it clearly isn't appreciated.

That would pretty much be my response to anyone who made an ungrateful comment about a gift I gave them.

I'd sit down and have a little chat with the people and explain to them that this was a GIFT. I was under NO obligation to give it - it was a GIFT. I would explain to them that when someone gives you a gift, you smile and warmly thank them for the gift and if you really don't like it or want it, you give to a local charity to sell in their thrift store. I would then proceed to talk to them about behaving like adults, since they are now old enough to get married, they no longer have any excuses for acting like petulant 7-year-olds. It's time to grow up and start acting like an adult, whether you like it or not.

Back
Top Bottom