• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

"Unethical amnesia"

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
In their recently published article in the Proceedings of the National Association of Sciences, Harvard’s Maryam Kouchaki and Francesca Gino describe nine studies featuring more than 2,000 participants that conclude that we tend to forget cutting ethical corners, suggesting that “this convenient memory loss gives us license to engage in further unethical acts.” From a Pacific Standard article:

As the researchers note, the psychological reason for this is fairly obvious: Most of us think of ourselves as good people, and forgetting our transgressions allows us to maintain that sparkling self-image.

More problematically, it may also increase our likelihood of committing additional unethical actions.

https://psmag.com/memories-of-unethical-behavior-fade-over-time-29ba561ad873#.dxxmdtv1i

Maryam Kouchaki - Faculty - Kellogg School of Management

Biography — Francesca Gino

Here is the full-text article for those interested: Memories of unethical actions become obfuscated over time

Re: "Uneithical amnesia"

In their recently published article in the Proceedings of the National Association of Sciences, Harvard’s Maryam Kouchaki and Francesca Gino describe nine studies featuring more than 2,000 participants that conclude that we tend to forget cutting ethical corners, suggesting that “this convenient memory loss gives us license to engage in further unethical acts.” From a Pacific Standard article:

As the researchers note, the psychological reason for this is fairly obvious: Most of us think of ourselves as good people, and forgetting our transgressions allows us to maintain that sparkling self-image.

More problematically, it may also increase our likelihood of committing additional unethical actions.

https://psmag.com/memories-of-unethical-behavior-fade-over-time-29ba561ad873#.dxxmdtv1i

Here is the full-text article for those interested: Memories of unethical actions become obfuscated over time

That is why we tend to have a double bind fit, when some jerk demonstrates that we are not good people and did something like the thing we are just criticizing in someone else.

Sometimes the truth hurts very much, but facing it is essential if one desires to strengthen his character.

I've noticed that, in general, negative memories tend to fade -- the "fading affect bias" -- in favor of more positive memories. I would imagine this is linked to the phenomenon they're documenting.

Sometimes the truth hurts very much, but facing it is essential if one desires to strengthen his character.
One of the hardest things we cand and must do as human beings, is to examine ourselves with brutal honesty!

There's an old saying in business: "Never fall in love with a deal"

In concern with our current discussion, I'd add: "Never fall in love with yourself"

I think we absolutely should 'love our selves' - just not 'fall in love with ourselves'! If that makes sense?

I've noticed that, in general, negative memories tend to fade -- the "fading affect bias" -- in favor of more positive memories. I would imagine this is linked to the phenomenon they're documenting.
It may be self-preservation.

As the years and decades pile-on, if we freshly remembered all our mistakes and shortcomings we'd be guilt-wracked! :doh

One of the hardest things we cand and must do as human beings, is to examine ourselves with brutal honesty!

There's an old saying in business: "Never fall in love with a deal"

In concern with our current discussion, I'd add: "Never fall in love with yourself"

I think we absolutely should 'love our selves' - just not 'fall in love with ourselves'! If that makes sense?

Sure it does. Never believe your own publicity (the "Elvis Syndrome").

In other breaking news, scientists believe the sky may be blue, and there are strong indications that the world is round.

Thanks for a post that wasted your time and now mine.

Thanks for a post that wasted your time and now mine.

That's what I thought.

Scientists doing research and claiming to have discovered that people remember their good deeds and forget their bad, is just plagiarizing Christianity. It's utterly unoriginal.

I found this to be very evident in the real estate business. Shaving little bits from the truth is pretty routine, from the broker on down through the agents when dealing with buyers and sellers. As a field services technician, I was privy to many unethical practices relating to contracts, hidden damages, past termite invasions, appraisers, and political home inspectors.

I made a nice living with my side business from the agents who had a hard time getting listings to the closing table when some of their convenient memory losses were exposed by independent home inspectors. Most of the agents cherry picked home inspectors and pressured them on favorable reports. Most of it was piddly, but once in a while it was pretty serious.

I ended up quitting because I couldn't be around that particular broker and his agents any longer, and I ended up losing about 65% of my home repairs client base as a result. I drive a dump truck these days making about less than 1/2 of what I did the past 7-8 years, but I do it with a clean conscience. I will be starting up my business again in the near future with a few brokers who I trust as being up front honest with their buyers and sellers. But for now, I am having fun just driving my truck and not having my phone lit up all day long. My navy retirement gives me options that a lot of others do not have.

Money matters, but a clear conscience is priceless.

Back
Top Bottom