• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unemployment Rate Improves Again: 4.7%

MrWonka

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
U.S. job creation weak, even as unemployment rate falls to 4.7% - Jun. 3, 2016

Satya Panday said:
We're very close to full employment, we will keep on improving this year but we have made huge gains.

Thank god we're almost rid of that son of a bitch Obama and his terrible economic policies that took us from one of the worst recessions in U.S. History all the way back to essentially full employment.

Maybe if we hadn't passed that job killing Obamacare bill, or those Job Killing tax hikes on the job creating wealthy we'd have even more fuller employment. </sarcasm>

Thank god we're almost rid of that son of a bitch Obama and his terrible economic policies that took us from one of the worst recessions in U.S. History all the way back to essentially full employment.

Maybe if we hadn't passed that job killing Obamacare bill, or those Job Killing tax hikes on the job creating wealthy we'd have even more fuller employment. </sarcasm>

Well, I see you've finally come to your senses.

Amazing how many people are leaving the workforce, discouraged, and no longer looking for work, nor collecting any unemployment.

Be cautious of what the number really represents.

Amazing how many people are leaving the workforce, discouraged, and no longer looking for work, nor collecting any unemployment.

We call that U6, look it up sometime.

It is because of the millions of ebola deaths Obama caused.

Well, I see you've finally come to your senses.

Well either you don't know what a </sarcasm> tag means of you haven't really been paying attention to me.

No issue with that. It is the U6 number.

However, the generally referred to 'unemployment number' or rate is misleading.
I guess a more accurate label might be 'unemployment recipients' or something. :shrug:

No issue with that. It is the U6 number.

Yeah, let's look that up so we're being "cautious." LOL!!!!

U6 Unemployment Rate | MacroTrends

Current U-6 Unemployment Rate

Well would you look at that. As it turns out the U6 rate is falling too. It's now down to 9.3% which puts it lower than it was in 2003 and 1994. In fact the U6 rate today is currently better than it was on average for the entire Bush Administration. He only managed to get it lower for a couple years before the recession exploded it out of control again, but it's been falling significantly pretty much ever since Obama took office.

Last edited:
Well either you don't know what a </sarcasm> tag means of you haven't really been paying attention to me.

That, or MaggieD was responding in kind but forgot the <sarcasm> tag.

Well would you look at that. As it turns out the U6 rate is falling too. It's now down to 9.7% which puts it lower than it was in 2003 and 1994. In fact the U6 rate today is currently better than it was on average for the entire Bush Administration. He only managed to get it lower for a couple years before the recession exploded it out of control again, but it's been falling significantly pretty much ever since Obama took office.

How much again does the president control the economy? I seem to recall it was more towards 'little'.

Can do amazing spending by doubling the federal debt from $10T to $20T. Also have to take the rather tepid GDP growth, 1% - 2%, into account as well.

Well would you look at that. As it turns out the U6 rate is falling too. It's now down to 9.7% which puts it lower than it was in 2003 and 1994. In fact the U6 rate today is currently better than it was on average for the entire Bush Administration. He only managed to get it lower for a couple years before the recession exploded it out of control again, but it's been falling significantly pretty much ever since Obama took office.
Well, yes and no, the problem right now is that both U3 and U6 have bottomed, are inflecting, which is troubling, which is why I REALLY hate to see the FED talk about any increases in rates. Inflation from wages is not an issue, inflation has just barely started to budge.

How much again does the president control the economy? I seem to recall it was more towards 'little'.
Who said they do? Non-sequitur.

Can do amazing spending by doubling the federal debt from $10T to $20T. Also have to take the rather tepid GDP growth, 1% - 2%, into account as well.
Annual GDP growth exceeds those numbers, if you want less debt, tax those that have gained from the growth.

Wow!!!!!! Look at those goalposts run!!! I bet Usain Bolt couldn't keep up with them. So let's see the unemployment rate matters until it looks really good, then we have to focus on the U6 rate, but then that starts looking good so now the President doesn't really have much effect on the Economy, even though we're still trying to blame him for the next set of numbers you pulled out of your ass that aren't amazing yet. Might want to start looking for some more numbers right now just in case GDP growth doesn't make your point for you....oh wait...

US GDP Growth Rate by Year

Oh ****!!!! Look at that.

Turns out Obama was handed -.92% GDP growth and quickly turned it into 4.56% growth in just his second year in office before Republicans got back enough power in congress to filibuster everything he tried to do to improve the economy. Since then we've been hovering between 3 and 4%. Not great, but not bad either. Just imagine if the size of the government wasn't growing at the slowest rate since Ike. I bet if President Obama were allowed to hire government workers at even half the historical rate our economy would be killing it even better than it is today.

You know the federal debt wasnt increased from spending, right?

I keep waiting for supporters of Obama to tell us what Obama has done to improve the employment and I get silence. Want me to tell you? 6.4 MILLION Americans are working part time now for economic reasons up 500,000 from last month and the labor participation rate is down again. yes, Obama has been great for the US economy. Why is it people like you look at the headlines and ignore the data within the headlines. U-6 rate is still 9.7%, African American unemployment still exceeds 8%, and debt went up 8.6 trillion to generate these numbers. This is a success to the left? Why such low expectations?

Last edited:
Wow!!!!!! Look at those goalposts run!!! I bet Usain Bolt couldn't keep up with them. So let's see the unemployment rate matters until it looks really good, then we have to focus on the U6 rate, but then that starts looking good so now the President doesn't really have much effect on the Economy, even though we're still trying to blame him for the next set of numbers you pulled out of your ass that aren't amazing yet. Might want to start looking for some more numbers right now just in case GDP growth doesn't make your point for you....oh wait...

US GDP Growth Rate by Year

Oh ****!!!! Look at that.

Turns out Obama was handed -.92% GDP growth and quickly turned it into 4.56% growth in just his second year in office before Republicans got back enough power in congress to filibuster everything he tried to do to improve the economy. Since then we've been hovering between 3 and 4%. Not great, but not bad either. Just imagine if the size of the government wasn't growing at the slowest rate since Ike. I bet if President Obama were allowed to hire government workers at even half the historical rate our economy would be killing it even better than it is today.

Wow, another economically challenged liberal! Do you realize that the 842 billion stimulus was mostly govt. spending which is a component of GDP? Any idea why the GDP growth was as you stated? Absolutely stunning how poorly informed the left is

I keep waiting for supporters of Obama to tell us what Obama has done to improve the employment and I get silence. Want me to tell you? 6.4 MILLION Americans are working part time now for economic reasons up 500,000 from last month and the labor participation rate is down again. yes, Obama has been great for the US economy. Why is it people like you look at the headlines and ignore the data within the headlines. U-6 rate is still 9.7%, African American unemployment still exceeds 8%, and debt went up 8.6 trillion to generate these numbers. This is a success to the left? Why such low expectations?

Now I know who you remind me of.....

koolaid.jpg

and...

01.jpg

If you had read beyond the headline post, you would see U6 discussed.

Got it, economic results don't matter and are trumped by headlines and perception in your world
What matters to me is that you can't read through 2 pages of posts to see that U6 was being discussed.

Do you realize that the 842 billion stimulus was mostly govt. spending which is a component of GDP?

And you point being what? If we would like to improve GDP growth we should stop cutting government spending? Are you trying to make my point for me or something? LOL!

What matters to me is that you can't read through 2 pages of posts to see that U6 was being discussed.

What matters to most people are actual data and results but not to the economically and fiscally challenged supporters of Obama. This U-6 rate of 9.7% takes into account those 6.4 million part time employees for economic reasons, the over 500,000 discouraged workers, and the over 7 million still unemployed. All this at a cost of 8.6 trillion added to the debt?

I keep waiting for supporters of Obama to tell us what Obama has done to improve the employment and I get silence.
No, you just don't actually listen. 6 months into President Obama's administration and 1 month after the first funds from the stimulus package started flowing into the economy the recession ended and we've been growing jobs ever since. The stimulus package has been estimated to have created or saved at least 4 million jobs and that's not counting jobs created as a result of getting the ball rolling in the right direction. The auto bailout by itself likely kept close to a million people working.

Then there is the investments in green energy, the regulations on fuel standards, and the Iran Nuclear deal which all contributed to the lowering of gas prices. He also cut the interest rates on subsidized student loans free up money and lowering payments for hundreds of thousands of former students.

I could keep going, but you're not going to listen to reason at all anyway.....

U-6 rate is still 9.7%,

Actually it's at 9.3% and falling which as stated puts it lower than it was on average during most of the Bush administration, and lower than it was in the Early 90's before Clinton took office. Tell us another one.

And you point being what? If we would like to improve GDP growth we should stop cutting government spending? Are you trying to make my point for me or something? LOL!

The point is, Govt. spending is a component of GDP and that is what drove up the GDP that you want to give Obama credit for. Govt. spending generates debt which is a cost to the taxpayers. There are four components of GDP, figure them out and get back to me. Anyone who touts GDP growth the first two years of Obama's term as a success ignores those components and what actually happened in this country to our economy

This U-6 rate of 9.7% takes into account those 6.4 million part time employees ......

Once again the rate is down to 9.3% which puts it lower than it was in 2001-2003 and lower than it was for most of the early 90's. You're going to have to go find something else if you want to keep moving the goal posts.

Back
Top Bottom