• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unemployment Rate Improves Again: 4.7%

Common sense also tells me that people keeping more of what they earn need less govt. spending and services
Except the lower income people who need the spending and services barely pay taxes at all as a result cutting taxes for them does them little or no good. It primarily benefits the wealth who do not need those cuts at all which is why most millionaires and billionaires agree that the should be paying higher tax rates.

1st of all either a president has a lot to do with the economy, or he doesn't. The RW haters got to make up their minds. When it was good under Bush it was all his doing, now that it's good under Obama he has nothing to do with it. That argument doesn't fly. You guys can't have it both ways.

2nd your facts are cherry picking. The economy was hemorrhaging jobs by the 100,000's per month. To expect any 'plan' by anyone to turn the economy around in 2-3 years is unrealistic and partisan nonsense.

What's the amount of people employed and the unemployment rate NOW?

Again, you want to focus on the last three months of Bush and not the entirety of his term plus the fact is you want to ignore that Obama's job performance during his first term was much worse than anything Bush did and Obama did it by signing a stimulus for shovel ready jobs. Had Obama not signed and implemented the stimulus you would have been right but when you are losing 1.3 million in discouraged workers that is a lot more than the 700,000 jobs Bush lost per month.

Except the lower income people who need the spending and services barely pay taxes at all as a result cutting taxes for them does them little or no good. It primarily benefits the wealth who do not need those cuts at all which is why most millionaires and billionaires agree that the should be paying higher tax rates.

So your idea is to give them more welfare? You cannot cut taxes on people who don't pay taxes and yet you ignore state and local responsibility for the poor all because you think with your heart

And Tens of thousands more have found jobs in other fields because low oil prices have freed up money to be spend else where.

Alright since you're apparently joining this thread late I'll explain this again. The U6 employment rate which conservatives have been shifting the goal posts to for the last few years is actually down again to 9.3% which is lower than it was in 2001-2003 under Bush, and lower than it was in the early part of the 90's before Clinton's policies started taking effect.

You do realize that I posted the actual BLS chart showing 9.7% U-6? Apparently you know better

FFS, when there is a strong economy, you don't need a lot of new social spending.....hurr durr. The point is that when you have a huge increase in UE, yer gonna need to spend on social support, aka counter-cyclical spending, which does incur debt.....and that is okay.

These concepts are not that tough, why do you make them so?

You said it yourself, easy concepts. So turbo charge the economy, get everyone working, reduce safety net spending, and pay down the debt.

So why are we adding ever more costs to business and then satisfied with a measly 1% - 2% GDP increase?

It would seem to make much more sense to specifically NOT burden business with additional costs so as to encourage growth, investment, and hiring, and thereby encourage demand in the economy.

And Tens of thousands more have found jobs in other fields because low oil prices have freed up money to be spend else where.

Alright since you're apparently joining this thread late I'll explain this again. The U6 employment rate which conservatives have been shifting the goal posts to for the last few years is actually down again to 9.3% which is lower than it was in 2001-2003 under Bush, and lower than it was in the early part of the 90's before Clinton's policies started taking effect.

The Big Lie: 5.6% Unemployment

U.S. job creation weak, even as unemployment rate falls to 4.7% - Jun. 3, 2016

Thank god we're almost rid of that son of a bitch Obama and his terrible economic policies that took us from one of the worst recessions in U.S. History all the way back to essentially full employment.

Maybe if we hadn't passed that job killing Obamacare bill, or those Job Killing tax hikes on the job creating wealthy we'd have even more fuller employment. </sarcasm>

Gee, without the worst job creation in 5 years, it might have been a sketchy report. :roll:

Again, you want to focus on the last three months of Bush and not the entirety of his term plus the fact is you want to ignore that Obama's job performance during his first term was much worse than anything Bush did and Obama did it by signing a stimulus for shovel ready jobs. Had Obama not signed and implemented the stimulus you would have been right but when you are losing 1.3 million in discouraged workers that is a lot more than the 700,000 jobs Bush lost per month.

I'm not focusing on Bush's last 3 months. But simply because of politics you can't ignore them either. It was the biggest economic mess since the 1930's. In another thread someone said the Unemployment rate under Bush never went over 6.3. Which is cherry picking and false and exactly what you are doing. Sorry, those last 3 months were on Bush's watch. Can't dismiss them and pin it all on Obama.

No one, NO ONE could have turned the economy around quickly. It was a disaster and spiraling down the toilet. And no, Obama's 1st term wasn't anywhere near as bad as the mess Bush left with the economy..Can't ignore what Bush did and the mess he left, it's unfair, and unreasonable and partisan to the nth degree.

So anyway again what is the unemployment rate NOW?

Wow, such wonderful news, right?

Weak U.S. employment report dims prospect of Fed rate hike | Reuters

Then there is this

A broad measure of unemployment that includes people who want to work but have given up searching and those working part-time because they cannot find full-time employment held steady at 9.7 percent in May.

The labor force participation rate, or the share of working-age Americans who are employed or at least looking for a job, fell 0.2 percentage point to 62.6 percent.

Let's see if you are mature enough to admit you are wrong?

I'm not focusing on Bush's last 3 months. But simply because of politics you can't ignore them either. It was the biggest economic mess since the 1930's. In another thread someone said the Unemployment rate under Bush never went over 6.3. Which is cherry picking and false and exactly what you are doing. Sorry, those last 3 months were on Bush's watch. Can't dismiss them and pin it all on Obama.

No one, NO ONE could have turned the economy around quickly. It was a disaster and spiraling down the toilet. And no, Obama's 1st term wasn't anywhere near as bad as the mess Bush left with the economy..Can't ignore what Bush did and the mess he left, it's unfair, and unreasonable and partisan to the nth degree.

So anyway again what is the unemployment rate NOW?

I keep hearing how bad this recession was and yet this recession unlike the 81-82 recession had zero affect on my family and MOST Americans. The term Great Recession and Saved Jobs are terms made up by the liberal leadership and marketed to the people who want to believe what they are told.

Reagan inherited a much worse economy than this one and turned it around much quicker than this one. Obama pumped 842 billion in spending into the economy and it is still stagnant. None of the Reagan stimulus was govt. spending

Your opinion is what you want to believe but defies actual data and economic policies.

What is the unemployment rate, 9.7%

I keep hearing how bad this recession was and yet this recession unlike the 81-82 recession had zero affect on my family and MOST Americans. The term Great Recession and Saved Jobs are terms made up by the liberal leadership and marketed to the people who want to believe what they are told.

Reagan inherited a much worse economy than this one and turned it around much quicker than this one. Obama pumped 842 billion in spending into the economy and it is still stagnant. None of the Reagan stimulus was govt. spending

Your opinion is what you want to believe but defies actual data and economic policies.

What is the unemployment rate, 9.7%

Setting aside the fact that your personal story is a really terrible method for evaluating the size of the recession (whereas the amount of value lost - after adjusting for inflation - which is the source for the claim that this recession was the worst since the Great Depression - is a pretty solid method for evaluating the recession).

I would note that the U6 unemployment rate was not measured in Reagan's time. So I can only tell you that the height of the 1982 recession had an unemployment rate of 10.8% whereas the peak for the current recession was 10.0. And that rate dropped from 10.8 to 5.7 by the time that Reagan left office. Obama's rate will have dropped from 10.0 to somewhere around 4.8 by the time that he leaves office.

The point is - if we are comparing the successes of Obama to Reagan in terms of their ability to improve the job market during their tenure, then Obama has already helped to solidify himself as one of the best Presidents of all time.

Setting aside the fact that your personal story is a really terrible method for evaluating the size of the recession (whereas the amount of value lost - after adjusting for inflation - which is the source for the claim that this recession was the worst since the Great Depression - is a pretty solid method for evaluating the recession).

I would note that the U6 unemployment rate was not measured in Reagan's time. So I can only tell you that the height of the 1982 recession had an unemployment rate of 10.8% whereas the peak for the current recession was 10.0. And that rate dropped from 10.8 to 5.7 by the time that Reagan left office. Obama's rate will have dropped from 10.0 to somewhere around 4.8 by the time that he leaves office.

The point is - if we are comparing the successes of Obama to Reagan in terms of their ability to improve the job market during their tenure, then Obama has already helped to solidify himself as one of the best Presidents of all time.

A lot of heads just exploded.

And it will go right back up after this month because of all the university graduates.

94 million people are not in the job force....
Most of those people are retired, in school, or choose to stay at home to raise kids or care for family. Those categories also saw most of the increases.

There was also some increase in the number of people who permanently gave up after the Great Recession, but that was mostly temporary. For several months, the U3 unemployment rate ticked up because those people decided to rejoin the job market.

I.e. it is deeply misleading to treat LFPR as though it's an unemployment rate.

By the way, LFPR started dropping in 2001, years before Obama took office.

Who's making the money - Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon. How are they helping you?
Apple makes products overseas and sells it here
Apple spends somewhere north of $15 billion on manufacturing... which is about 10-15% of their total cost of revenue. And not much of that is labor.

They also charge less for their products because they're made overseas. That's all pocket money consumers can keep, or spend elsewhere.

I also suspect that if product was moved to the US, it'd be much more heavily automated than it is in China. So we are talking about thousands of jobs, but not enough to move the needle.

Google and Facebook aggregate your data and use it to sell targeted advertising.
Where's the beef? How many US hammer swingers work in these economic powerhouses?
Apple has around 47,000 workers in the US. Which is not too shabby.

Google has 57,000 employees, most in the US.

Facebook employs 12,000 people, most in the US. They are growing significantly.

Walmart, by the way, has 2.2 million employees, who barely make above minimum wage, and many are part-time. Not exactly a huge argument in favor of US employment. ;)

Obama had a choice to make. He could either work on the economy, or work on social justice. He chose social justice. The repairs to the economy were mostly in place when he took over, that freed his hand to create chaos in the USA and destroy our reputation in the rest of the world.
Huh?

He worked on TARP and monetary policy, he pushed through a stimulus package fairly quickly, he bailed out the auto industry early in his tenure, and so on. I'd say he pushed more economic policies in his first term than in his second.

I suppose if you work in hi tech or the government, or happen to have a great job like environmental lawyer, then yes, your little slice of the world is coming up roses. But the nation's job base has continued to disintegrate under Obama, family incomes are falling, and the invasion of illegal job seekers has become a tidal wave. As Confucius said, "A tidal wave swamps all boats".
Whatever

The nations "job base" -- by which I assume you mean manufacturing jobs -- started eroding in the 1970s, and was down to 10% of the labor market by 2009. This is due to the rise of automation, globalization, women joining the workforce -- and there is nothing any President can do to stop it. Women joined the workforce steadily from the 1970s to early 2000s, which increased the labor supply and depressed wages slightly. No one is going to roll back on women working, or ban automation. There is no policy that can change the fact that semi-skilled labor in China costs 1/10 as it does in the US. There are no tariffs we can establish to mitigate that advantage.

I.e. There is no way to turn back the clock to 1955.

There is no correlation between wages or unemployment, and rates of illegal immigration. Blaming illegal immigrants for broader structural issues with employment is weak tea.

What we can do is improve primary education, and make it easier for people to get secondary educations (college and vocational), so we have a better trained workforce that can perform higher-skilled jobs. Obama didn't do much about the latter, but I don't see Republicans lining up to boost secondary education. I see many of them blaming other people for their own problems, while proclaiming it's only the individual's fault. Go figure.

Only when you play loose with the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loss only occurs when you sell. I didn't therefore suffered no loss.

U-6 wasn't measured during Reagan but was included in the unemployment rate

You really have a biased, partisan and very poorly informed opinion of Obama. The results don't matter to you but perception does. You believe what he tells you in spite of bls.gov, bea.gov, and Treasury data. What is it about liberalism that creates this kind of loyalty? You have so much passion that it distorts reality.

Amazing how many people are leaving the workforce, discouraged, and no longer looking for work, nor collecting any unemployment.

Be cautious of what the number really represents.

Yes. The nerve of all those old people leaving the workforce so they can retire. How dare they. They should work till they drop.

Unemployment is down even more ?!?!?

Thanks Obama ! Your grace under pressure and reasoned economic leadership rescued our country from the catastrophic mistakes of the last administration.

0ee389d5e791fc73b958b63ecd9f0cd8.jpg

Yes. The nerve of all those old people leaving the workforce so they can retire. How dare they. They should work till they drop.

When Obama took office there were 312 million Americans and today there are 322 million and of course no one entered the work force to replace those retired. I know this isn't going to sink in but 500,000 more workers joined the roles of the part time for economic reasons and the U-6 rate is 9.7%

U.S. job creation weak, even as unemployment rate falls to 4.7% - Jun. 3, 2016

Thank god we're almost rid of that son of a bitch Obama and his terrible economic policies that took us from one of the worst recessions in U.S. History all the way back to essentially full employment.

Maybe if we hadn't passed that job killing Obamacare bill, or those Job Killing tax hikes on the job creating wealthy we'd have even more fuller employment. </sarcasm>

Hiring Really Is Slowing Down | FiveThirtyEight

The problem is no one is impressed. The U6 numbers are what matter. Since there is virtually no growth, the jobs he "created" must be jobs a McDonalds.

Hiring Really Is Slowing Down | FiveThirtyEight

The problem is no one is impressed. The U6 numbers are what matter. Since there is virtually no growth, the jobs he "created" must be jobs a McDonalds.

There was a 500,000 increase in part time employment for economic reasons in May. If you create enough part time jobs and get enough to drop out of the labor force and become discouraged you are going to get the unemployment rate to where it is today

Back
Top Bottom