• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unemployment "boosts" the economy

VF500

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
That's what congressman Jim McDermott of Washington and other Democrats say.
In the words of John McEnro, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS." Well, if that's true, why don't we put everyone on unemployment and really get the economy going again?

Why do the brains of Democrats sell for thousands of dollars per pound? Because it takes so many Democrats to get a whole pound. :lamo

In the words of John McEnro, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS." Well, if that's true, why don't we put everyone on unemployment and really get the economy going again?

Why do the brains of Democrats sell for thousands of dollars per pound? Because it takes so many Democrats to get a whole pound. :lamo

Can you please provide a source?

You really do like making over the top suggestions that have nothing to do with reality.

Believe Pelosi is on record with a couple of quotes to that subject. Pushing the concept that Unemployment Benefits are the most efficient way to inject cash into the economy. Which in itself may actually be true, but it is sort of clumsy path to follow for getting us out of a recession and expanding an economy.

btw....the political joke was pretty funny. (And a friendly template for the opposition as well. Very flexible. ;) )

I would definitely like to see a source on this.

Is it akin to saying that lower taxes spur the economy so lets lower taxes to nothing?

Oh, sorry, I thought he was saying that Mr McDermott was saying that unemployment itself boosts the economy, not just unemployment insurance.

The thread title is sort of misleading.

Believe Pelosi is on record with a couple of quotes to that subject. Pushing the concept that Unemployment Benefits are the most efficient way to inject cash into the economy. Which in itself may actually be true, but it is sort of clumsy path to follow for getting us out of a recession and expanding an economy.

btw....the political joke was pretty funny. (And a friendly template for the opposition as well. Very flexible. ;) ).

The spending habits of those on unemployment do suggest it is true. The marginal propensity to spend via the poor, who have been some of the hardest hit in the recession are much higher then the rich as a percent of their income. Therefore, it would be logical to conclude that giving those with high marginal propensity to spend increased money would result in a higher amount of aggregate demand not to mention high money velocity.

Walmart's decent earnings with market saturation coupled with the recession suggest that the poor are spending disproportionate amounts of income compared to the rich.

Something tells me VF500 watches a bit too much Beck and not enough time spent reading things that require a brain.

Unemployment benefits increase demand for various goods which does stimulate the economy. Making remarks about putting everyone on unemployment, however, is just asinine. You can't just extrapolate anything that anyone says to extremes and assume it still represents their views. Here's an example:

Conservatives favor lower taxes.
Therefore, conservatives favor having no taxes at all.
Therefore, conservatives favor disbanding the United States as an entity entirely, as the government would not be able to operate at any level.
Therefore, conservatives want to eliminate America. Why do conservatives hate America?

Get it?

Last edited:
Unemployment benefits increase demand for various goods which does stimulate the economy. Making remarks about putting everyone on unemployment, however, is just asinine. You can't just extrapolate anything that anyone says to extremes and assume it still represents their views. Here's an example:

Conservatives favor lower taxes.
Therefore, conservatives favor having no taxes at all.
Therefore, conservatives favor disbanding the United States as an entity entirely, as the government would not be able to operate at any level.
Therefore, conservatives want to eliminate America. Why do conservatives hate America?

Get it?

Oh no. You poked the beast. You will now die.

Unemployment benefits work because those who are unemployed spend most of their income on the necessities of life, and save less. They also import less exotic items.

I would definitely like to see a source on this.

Turn on a news program with a Democrat talking about unemployment extentions. I can't believe you people are so uninformed but OK, I'll spoon feed you. Here:
Pelosi says food stamps and unemployment benefits help grow the economy
http://www.helium.com/knowledge/412...d-unemployment-benefits-help-grow-the-economy
So, as I stated, if unemployment is so great for the economy, let's get a whole bunch more on unemployment and get the economy off bottom dead center.

Of course Pelosi also said we'd have to pass the health care bill to find out what's in it too so you'll have to decide for yourself how much sense she makes.

Last edited:
Turn on a news program with a Democrat talking about unemployment extentions. I can't believe you people are so uninformed but OK, I'll spoon feed you. Here:
Pelosi says food stamps and unemployment benefits help grow the economy
Pelosi says food stamps and unemployment benefits help grow the economy - Democratic Leaders - Helium
So, as I stated, if unemployment is so great for the economy, let's get a whole bunch more on unemployment and get the economy off bottom dead center.

Of course Pelosi also said we'd have to pass the health care bill to find out what's in it too so you'll have to decide for yourself how much sense she makes.

We thought you were saying McDermott was saying that unemployment in itself boosts the economy, not the extension of unemployment benefits.

It's true... unemployment can boost the economy.

It depends who is unemployed. If it is a whole bunch of Dem Senators and Congressmen like Pelosi, Reid, Schumer, Turbin, Harkin... then yes... unemployment boosts the economy.

Unemployment boosts the economy.

Just read that three times.

Does that not explain the Democratic Party about as concisely as anything you ever read?

We thought you were saying McDermott was saying that unemployment in itself boosts the economy, not the extension of unemployment benefits.

Yes, McDermott said that unemployment, in itself, boosts the economy. He was parroting the same party line as Pelosi, and every other insane Democrat, when they're trying to justify increasing the length of time people receive unemployment. How exactly did you expect me to post a link to something I watched in a television interview? I gave you the guy's name and congressional district. Did you think I was making it up? It was on FoxNews where anyone who's interested in the truth should go to get their news instead from a joker like Jon Stewart or the clowns who get tingles up their legs like Chris Mathews on the All Obama Network, aka MSNBC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom