• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unemployment Benefits Extension

Should benefits be extended?

• Total voters
Phfft. Please. Everybody likes me. You're not special. ;)

<deep, cleansing breaths> The barn door is open, the horses are gone. BE THAT AS IT MAY: We are where we are. Spilt milk, blah-blah. For many people, yes: catastrophic = DINK (double-income, no kids) both losing their jobs. Or even worse, with kids. Or one loses job and whole house of cards collapse. It's just far too easy (apparently) to Monday Morning Quarterback "Well, they shoulda!!" Yeah. They should have. And now what.

It has nothing to do with catastrophic unplanned events.
Most of the people have not had this happen to them at the same time as losing their job.

The problem stems from the fact that practically no one in the U.S. saves for that emergency and even if they do it's a paltry amount.
People are more likely to over extend their lifestyle with debt, than to save for that rainy day.

<deep, cleansing breaths> The barn door is open, the horses are gone. BE THAT AS IT MAY: We are where we are. Spilt milk, blah-blah. For many people, yes: catastrophic = DINK (double-income, no kids) both losing their jobs. Or even worse, with kids. Or one loses job and whole house of cards collapse. It's just far too easy (apparently) to Monday Morning Quarterback "Well, they shoulda!!" Yeah. They should have. And now what.

Don't know, that sounds really crappy.
I don't think unemployment is gonna fix it though.

Sometimes you have to fall, before you can rise.
I've had to do it. :shrug:

But not everyone is like you. Some people have a much harder time getting a job. The problem isn't that people aren't willing to take low enough pay, but there aren't any jobs because there isn't enough demand and therefore not enough hiring. Hence some people will end up unemployed before the confidence in the economy improves and people start hiring again.

Also, they will want a job, because a job pays better than unemployment insurance. Also a job is more secure, because as we have seen. It's very easy to lose the unemployment insurance, and it will certinally be removed when it is easy to get a job again.

I do not want to get rid of unemployment benefits. I just don't see how people can't find a way to support themselves after nearly two years of being unemployed. At first, yes, they were in a bad situation. Now they're in a situation that they've created! I'm done paying for them. They had more than enough time to get a job. We're not pulling back on the extended benefits, it's just that we're not giving MORE benefits to people who have been unemployed for nearly two years. This debate seems to have gone off track from 'should we extend' to 'should we have extended'. Yes, we should have extended. But no. We definately shouldn't hit that 2 year mark. We have to draw the line somewhere. I think we're already late.

It has nothing to do with catastrophic unplanned events.
Most of the people have not had this happen to them at the same time as losing their job.

The problem stems from the fact that practically no one in the U.S. saves for that emergency and even if they do it's a paltry amount.
People are more likely to over extend their lifestyle with debt, than to save for that rainy day.

Some people go golfing in the rain and get struck by lightning.

Entitlement society. Why work for something when you can get it for free?

In my world, this was 9 months late.

ads1981 said:
While you're asking all those questions, the bottom is falling out of peoples' lives.
So, only the unemployed suffer? How about the taxpayer being sucked dry by more taxes?
My neighbor John loses his job so now I must support him and support myself and my family?
This is insane. So, let’s ask the questions and find a better solution for both parties.
The current system is a black hole.

Wow. Seriously? Just wow. Maybe look outside America, see what everybody else is paying in taxes.

What I have noticed, at least in New York, is that when the government is having a hard time coming up with money, doesn't want to be accused of raising taxes, and doesn't want to cut services, it raises the unemployment insurance rate.

I have a better idea. Let's change the entire unemployment system.

Instead of treating it like a tax, treat it like a forced savings -- X% of your paycheck goes into a fund just for you, and is used to buy a 12-month CD. After a year, that money becomes available for use should you lose your job. The rate of return gets reinvested with your subsequent contributions.

Ta-da! Now there's money for you in case you lose your job, and the government can't touch it to pay its own bills!

Back
Top Bottom