• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unemployment Benefits Extension

Should benefits be extended?

• Total voters
I voted "other" At this time I would be ok with extending the jobless benefits if it was off set with spending cuts in other areas of govt. spending. I also would want a provision where the unemployed spent at least 20 hours a week looking for work and at least 20 hours doing community service. This would espcially be for the ones that have run up against what normally would be paid out. Without the off-set, we have dug such a deep hole with the spending on the wars and social programs I feel we are on the brink. It also boils down to just way too many people for our country or economy to support. But I also feel the whole world is over populated since the world economy is almost in the tank.

(Side note, I say this with having a daughter who's unemployment just ran out)

I would LOVE it if those who are unemployed and receiving benefits had to do community service hours. I think it's only fair, and there's a lot of good they could do while taking money from the government.

I would LOVE it if those who are unemployed and receiving benefits had to do community service hours. I think it's only fair, and there's a lot of good they could do while taking money from the government.

Bloody hell .. it's insurance that is paid for off their dam paychecks.

I have totally agree with the idea of some form of community service for the un employed.

I have totally agree with the idea of some form of community service for the un employed.

it worked for FDR in the (notso) great depression
wonder why it is taking Obama so long to figure it out

it worked for FDR in the (notso) great depression
wonder why it is taking Obama so long to figure it out

Different era maybe? It seems people veiw the notion of community service in a different light these days as if it some form of punishment or something.

According to them the unemployment rate is dropping, they claim to have saved 3.8 Million jobs.

The above are so easy to say, almost impossible to prove.

Unemployment rate will drop as unemployed people come off being paid benefit, plus a number of folk simply give up trying to find work as their are no jobs to be found.
The exception being that Illegal immigrants can always find jobs, because if there were no jobs they would head back home in droves.

The unemployment rate has dropped slightly. That does not make it good times. The stimulus bill has, without any question, created some number of jobs. How many is impossible to say, but most experts agree that it is somewhere between 1.5 and 4 mil.

Basically, instead of talking about the topic, you just want to whine about Obama.

If you want a Hostile enviroment, continue endless benefits and watch your $ value, diminish to less than the value of the Zimbabwean $.

For it is an absolute fact that withought income, constant expenditure leads to Bankruptcy.

Yeah, I can see this with those historic high inflation rates...

Oh wait, inflation is not high at all, so you would be entirely wrong.

Basically the things people on benefit, are buying are made overseas.
Is that clear enough for you to understand or should I explain the eventual consequences of that to you as well?

No, basically the things people are buying with unemployment benefits are groceries(not overseas for the most part), and local services(local). Funny how you come up with these wild claims, and have exactly zero sourcing for any of them.

Possibly because they have priced themselves out of the jobs market.

Yes, that is it! The whole recession and meltdown of our economy was caused by greedy workers. How could I have missed that!

The unemployment rate has dropped slightly. That does not make it good times. The stimulus bill has, without any question, created some number of jobs. How many is impossible to say, but most experts agree that it is somewhere between 1.5 and 4 mil.

Basically, instead of talking about the topic, you just want to whine about Obama.

Government jobs? How will these stimulate the economy?

Yes, that is it! The whole recession and meltdown of our economy was caused by greedy workers. How could I have missed that!

The Recession and subsequent meltdown was caused by stupid people who could not afford mortgages falling for Fanny and Freddie lies about affordable mortgages, having signed on the dotted line they had the choice when teaser rates rates ran out, either up their payments or ditch their mortgages.

Yes it was Wall St. but it also requires peoples stupidity and greed.

Last edited:
Ummm...employed people have more money to spend. Duh...

Government JOBS mean (workers) get paid by government, how does government get money to pay workers?

In other words, are these jobs constructive ie: give value to US or are they simply jobs for the boys?
Probably jobs that are to oversee all the new regulations put into place by government.

Cannot actually see where I have as you put it ' whine about Obama'.

We're in recovery. Obama said so. Haven't you been watching the news?

Instead of extending bennies, with money we don't have, Obama should stop creating a hostile environment for businesses and let the private sector fix the economy by creating wealth and jobs, because the government can't do either of those.
you do understand the term 'recovery', correct? say you broke your arm, but the bone is in 'recovery', are you going to have full use of it right away? things are picking up, but we are not out of the woods yet.

Government JOBS mean (workers) get paid by government, how does government get money to pay workers?

In other words, are these jobs constructive ie: give value to US or are they simply jobs for the boys?
Probably jobs that are to oversee all the new regulations put into place by government.

So the roads, bridges and stuff being built with the stimulus money are not constructive? Are you even hearing how lame your complaints are?

The Recession and subsequent meltdown was caused by stupid people who could not afford mortgages falling for Fanny and Freddie lies about affordable mortgages, having signed on the dotted line they had the choice when teaser rates rates ran out, either up their payments or ditch their mortgages.

Which has exactly what to do with the majority of the people who are unemployed?

Yeah, I can see this with those historic high inflation rates...

Oh wait, inflation is not high at all, so you would be entirely wrong.

Just wait sunshine, just wait.
Governments cannot spend money they do not have unless they either borrow it or print it.
This administration is doing both.
Problem with borrowing money is that at some time it has to be repaid.

In the question of whether government work is value added (creates or adds value as a result of activity), than the answer is mixed. Some government work creates value (NOAA, FCC, FBI) and some does not (IRS).

The next question becomes "does government work add more value than corresponding private sector work?" And that is a question I do not know the answer to as I have never seen a study or really anything beyond anecdotal evidence such as the $300 hammer story.

Last edited:
Just wait sunshine, just wait.
Governments cannot spend money they do not have unless they either borrow it or print it.
This administration is doing both.
Problem with borrowing money is that at some time it has to be repaid.

And it has been done by every administration in my lifetime. Reagan was the king of deficit spending, but some how we survived.

Which has exactly what to do with the majority of the people who are unemployed?

Basically confidence, or in this instance a lack of confidence in USA inc to be able to sustain it's standard of living and pay down it's debts.
If Businesses cannot see profit in future they will not hire, if they can see profit they will hire, if cost of hiring in US is too high they will either close business or move business to more hospitable climes.

Well don't forget it was also caused by stupid people giving out mortgages with teaser rates to people who couldn't afford the house when the rates went up. Stupidity happened on both sides of that partnership.

And that is a question I do not know the answer to as I have never seen a study or really anything beyond anecdotal evidence such as the $300 hammer story.

Which by the way is just cross subsidization. The government did not pay $300 for the hammer. It pay $30 and used the rest to either fund a black ops or pay for overruns in other programs. The same way Airbus accused Boeing of taking government military contracts to finance parts of its civilian airline business, the government "overpays" on certain items to funnel money into other projects.

And it has been done by every administration in my lifetime. Reagan was the king of deficit spending, but some how we survived.

And yes ,we that is USA inc will survive this recession and this administration, BUT, we survive immeasurably weakened, the USA is no longer the Power House it once was, likely we shall never be so again.

Well don't forget it was also caused by stupid people giving out mortgages with teaser rates to people who couldn't afford the house when the rates went up. Stupidity happened on both sides of that partnership.

Precisely my point.
But the Stupid people lost out 2 ways.
1) they lost their house
2) they are still legally liable to repay the loan.

Back
Top Bottom