• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Undisputed World #1 booted by Australian Tennis Association

He knew the rules.
That appears to be subject to dispute. Others had been given exemptions. However, he ended up being pig headed after a bureaucrat overruled the top court in the country

That appears to be subject to dispute. Others had been given exemptions. However, he ended up being pig headed after a bureaucrat overruled the top court in the country

He had an exemption, but then he lied on his application. Are you defending him because he's an anti-vaxxer?

He had an exemption, but then he lied on his application. Are you defending him because he's an anti-vaxxer?
not at all. My one main issue is I oppose governments interfering with international sport.

you might be right. or the international governing body might pull support for majors from those countries.

It would be the end of that body if they did. The Open circuit doesn't need them, they need the Opens.

You raised the question of drugs. Suppose the US Open objected to Marijuana being on the prohibited list (as they honestly should). I think, being arguably the biggest of the Opens, they'd get their way and marijuana tests would be struck from all the Opens.

I'm a bit radical on drugs, as you may have noticed. No drug should be banned unless it's clearly performance-enhancing, or perhaps a masking drug to beat the tests. What we've got is "war on drugs" myth that nobody who uses recreational drugs out of competition should be allowed to "set a bad example". Cos it's not a bad example, it's a good example: very successful people do sometimes use recreational drugs and it doesn't wreck them.

Btw, I'm not saying athletes should be allowed to be stoned in contest. Safety issues there.

not at all. My one main issue is I oppose governments interfering with international sport.

So you're for Open Borders now? Didn't see that coming.

So you're for Open Borders now? Didn't see that coming.
nope-but if a country holds something like the Olympics or a major tennis event, I think that domestic rules need to be set aside. England and Japan's bans on handguns were set aside for Olympic shooters for example.

It would be the end of that body if they did. The Open circuit doesn't need them, they need the Opens.

You raised the question of drugs. Suppose the US Open objected to Marijuana being on the prohibited list (as they honestly should). I think, being arguably the biggest of the Opens, they'd get their way and marijuana tests would be struck from all the Opens.

I'm a bit radical on drugs, as you may have noticed. No drug should be banned unless it's clearly performance-enhancing, or perhaps a masking drug to beat the tests. What we've got is "war on drugs" myth that nobody who uses recreational drugs out of competition should be allowed to "set a bad example". Cos it's not a bad example, it's a good example: very successful people do sometimes use recreational drugs and it doesn't wreck them.

Btw, I'm not saying athletes should be allowed to be stoned in contest. Safety issues there.
I don't have any disagreement with that-if the drug doesn't help you win, or hide drugs that help you win, it shouldn't be banned for athletes.

That isn't really what happened here though. If anything, Djokovic initially received beneficial treatment because he is a high-profile athlete and that was only drawn back to exactly the same rules applying to him as anyone else travelling to the country.

I agree the government should specifically interfere with sport but nor should international sport receive a magic exemption any any rules or laws. In this context, I see no justification for professional athletes (or just rich and famous ones) getting any special exemption from general rules when people travelling for any other kind of work wouldn't (including the tennis officials travelling to help run the event).

I don't have any disagreement with that-if the drug doesn't help you win, or hide drugs that help you win, it shouldn't be banned for athletes.

Good. Drugs of either kind are bad for your health. There's a middle ground between promoting them (letting enhanced athletes win) and trying to use the sport to fight a social battle (banning recreational drugs.) The middle ground is not testing for recreational drugs.

The controversial phrase "don't ask, don't tell" might be my downfall here.

But I'd also like contracts with the players to stop them promoting any kind of drugs. I think we have to be very careful that NO kind of drugs (even organic medicines, vitamins, alternative medicines) are promoted by the celebrities of physical fitness.

But I'd also like contracts with the players to stop them promoting any kind of drugs. I think we have to be very careful that NO kind of drugs (even organic medicines, vitamins, alternative medicines) are promoted by the celebrities of physical fitness.
Too late, mate. Novak's got his COVID biz:

I don't think the law should exist. If you want to host a major event you have to make concessions. England bans its citizens from owning handguns-the Olympic shooters had them in London. Same with Tokyo last summer.
We get to guns in most every thread you participate in, I wonder why?

It's like the Olympics all over again!!11!!

*snicker*

was denied an ability to defend his title over COVID protocols
Made a juvenile choice to not follow their rules, and the rules were enforced on his chosen behavior.
Serves the moron right. -You should be applauding their follow-through.

“I’ll take my tennis ball and buy a bio-med company.”
That covid-19 virus does look like a tennis ball that's been left out on court over the winter.

Made a juvenile choice to not follow their rules, and the rules were enforced on his chosen behavior.
Serves the moron right. -You should be applauding their follow-through.
I think their rules are stupid but he was stupid not to follow them given what happened. Are we going to shut down borders every time there is a new version of this disease?

I think their rules are stupid but he was stupid not to follow them given what happened. Are we going to shut down borders every time there is a new version of this disease?
How’s that strategy work out in the courtroom. Counselor?

How’s that strategy work out in the courtroom. Counselor?
he won in the courtroom, your honor. a bureaucrat overruled the court. something that couldn't happen in our nation

All he had to do was get the vaccine....what a loser.

he won in the courtroom, your honor. a bureaucrat overruled the court. something that couldn't happen in our nation
Novax wasn’t “in our country,” and you didn’t answer the question.

Does “I think your rules are stupid,” work in the courtrooms you have been in?
If this was an actual courtroom, 99% of the posts on this board would have been shitcanned long ago. We are arguing about what happened, and ND won his case in front of the Australian Court. Do you buy the argument that if he was allowed to play, that would cause "resistance" to the Australian rules concerning this viral issue?

If this was an actual courtroom, 99% of the posts on this board would have been shitcanned long ago. We are arguing about what happened, and ND won his case in front of the Australian Court. Do you buy the argument that if he was allowed to play, that would cause "resistance" to the Australian rules concerning this viral issue?
“….the nearer your destination the more you slip slide away….”

Back
Top Bottom