• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Underwater video uncovers mass kill from Matson molasses spill

TacticalEvilDan

Shankmasta Killa
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
(HawaiiNewsNow) - The molasses fish kill is even worse than expected, according to the state Health Department and marine biologists.

"This is the worst environmental damage to sea life that I have come across, and its fair to say this is a biggie, if not the biggest that we've had to confront in the state of Hawaii," said Gary Gill, deputy director for the Environmental Health Division of the Health Department.

[...]

With 233,000 gallons of thick molasses sinking to the bottom like a rock, we asked Roger White of Cool Blue Scuba to dive in with his camera and document the damage.
He surfaced with a bombshell: "There's nothing alive down there at all. Everything down there is dead."

Underwater video uncovers mass kill from Matson molasses spill - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

They're saying this is worse than even an oil spill -- oil spills float on top, this stuff dispersed, descended, and captured or consumed the oxygen the local wildlife needed to survive. Everything that died down there suffocated.

Weird story. Nature will recover though in time.

Underwater video uncovers mass kill from Matson molasses spill - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

They're saying this is worse than even an oil spill -- oil spills float on top, this stuff dispersed, descended, and captured or consumed the oxygen the local wildlife needed to survive. Everything that died down there suffocated.
As bad as this sounds and looks, it might be best to reserve judgment.
They have dumped a large amount of an organic compound into the bay.
It is bad, but people who are close and passionate about the bay, may exaggerate
the damage.

So sad.

I've worked with molasses before and it is yucky stuff, but this is amazing. I wonder how it spilled, and how much?

So sad.

I've worked with molasses before and it is yucky stuff, but this is amazing. I wonder how it spilled, and how much?

Pipe connect to the ship broke.

Apparently this also happened in the streets of Boston back in 1919, suffocating 21.

What a catastrophe. Thousands upon thousands of fish, miles away from the spill, everything dead. Heart-wrenching. :(

We need to stop Big Syrup from poisoning our wildlife and thinking they can get away with it.

I'm sure the breakfast lobby in Congress is in overdrive to sweeten deals with congress members. Tell your rep not to waffle!

Not only are the fish dead, but somewhere there's a child who's going without molasses today as a result. Quick, check the party affiliation of the perps - especially the pipe manufacturer. I already suspect Halliburton, Cheney, and the Koch brothers.

Dammit, do you know how many bottles of homemade barbecue sauce I could've made with that?

There are only two reasons for men to have sticky fingers...and my BBQ is the other.

Will we be seeing a molasses moratorium placed into effect?

Only if the President has friends in the rum business. Such a declaration would skyrocket prices.
Now, now. Molasses is used in more than rum. The current administration has used cold molasses to grease the wheels of the government with regard to Benghazi, the IRS, the NSA, Fast and Furious, and a host of other issues just to speed things along. Hillary routinely treats her nether regions with near freezing molasses, which has caused an impeachment - because as Bill knows, cold sweets don't spread.

Now, now. Molasses is used in more than rum. The current administration has used cold molasses to grease the wheels of the government with regard to Benghazi, the IRS, the NSA, Fast and Furious, and a host of other issues just to speed things along. Hillary routinely treats her nether regions with near freezing molasses, which has caused an impeachment - because as Bill knows, cold sweets don't spread.

You stay classy, San Diego.

This is why you do not hire employees who are slower than molasses.

Page 2 and i get the pun points.

Wow. I guess I'm the only one who looks at this as a real ecological tragedy. :(

The fish are dying from a lack of O2 likely being caused by the decomposition of the molasses with the algae bloom it caused. Fortunately, its not infinite and eventually will neutralize and return to normal.

So in other words, you set the bar at the lowest common denominator and reckon yourself a stand-up guy?
I didn't set the bar. Those who put forth the candidates and elect them set the bar, and those who promote them while in office maintain the standard. I suppose you believe you're a stand-up guy when you take exception to those who question that standard or those who may allude to something a bit more demanding than popular notions.

Back
Top Bottom