• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Understanding the Differences Between OT and NT Laws...

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
This devotion is important because there's a growing number of groups claiming Christians must obey Old Testament dietary and ceremonial laws. This study will help you understand the purpose and validity of Old Testament laws so you can answer questions and avoid false teachings.

The Old Testament contains sacrificial, dietary, ceremonial, civil, and permanent laws.

Christ fulfilled sacrificial laws that foreshadowed His death (Hebrews 10:1).

Dietary laws were fulfilled when Jesus said, "What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth" (Matthew 15:11).(1)

Ceremonial laws reminded Israel of their spiritual history. We can observe feasts and festivals, but these laws also were fulfilled by Christ. Christians have new reminders such as communion and baptism (Luke 22:19-20; Matthew 28:19).

Civil laws governed Israel for a specific time in history. Christians glean principles from these laws but don't obey them.(2)

Permanent, universal laws are confirmed in New Testament commands.

There are a number of groups today claiming that Christians must observe Old Testament ceremonial and dietary laws. This view contradicts Scripture.

Christ didn't delete Old Testament laws. He fulfilled them (Matthew 5:17).(3) Following dietary and ceremonial laws does not make anyone a better Christian (Romans 14:4-6; Colossians 2:16-17).

New Testament commands deal with moral choices, not food or holidays. We obey these commands because we love Jesus (John 14:21; Romans 8:1-17).

(1) Acts 10:9-29 confirms this truth. This passage is more fully explained in today's Bite Size Bible Study.

(2) For example, the community was commanded to stone to death adult children who cursed their parents (Leviticus 20:9). There is a principle involved that still applies to us today (honoring parents-Ephesians 6:2), but the punishment was specific to that point in Israel's history. ~ We shouldn't be surprised that not every command is applicable to us today. This happens in the New Testament as well. For example, Christ gave the seventy-two missionaries specific instructions when He sent them out. Their instructions are in the Word of God, but they are not permanent laws for all missionaries or evangelists (Luke 10:1-17).

(3) Note the context of this statement (Matthew 5:17-48). Christ follows these words by explaining that sin flows from the heart. It's not just about external actions but about thoughts and motives. Christ does not mention sacrificial, dietary, or ceremonial laws in this passage.
https://biblelovenotes.blogspot.com/2017/10/httpsbitesizebiblestudyblogspotcom20171.html

"All hail the capricious god who changes his rules for mankind.
Woe to those who still walk the earth the next time he changes his mind."

- MamboDervish 3-19-22
(8~)>
Woe to those...

4d7cad4ddc5af95794ffb18c41843ac2.jpg

Western religion is continuously modifying its tenets, position as opposed to Islam.

This is good thing, 2000 year old rules are often violent and male driven.

The NT is a good thing, the uncensored Koran is not.

Woe to those...

4d7cad4ddc5af95794ffb18c41843ac2.jpg
Aww . . . c'mon. You didn't like my poem? I wrote it just for you? 😞

I'm tempted to ask you how you can reconcile a timeless, constant, unchanging creator of the universe, with one who makes some rules for humanity to follow one day . . and then decides it's okay to follow different rules the next. I'm tempted to ask, but for the fact that you've convinced me that you won't share your own thoughts and feelings, but instead you will simply default to yet another biblical quote. As if you believed you can let the bible think for you - contradictions be damned. Which I guess brings me around to your quote from Proverbs. I plead guilty of being the fool who displays what I think. What I'm innocent of is allowing an ancient book, written by flawed men, to do my thinking for me. So . . . who's the greater fool?

I understand that this "god" of yours must not be so perfect if he had to change his laws.
You understand nothing...

Aww . . . c'mon. You didn't like my poem? I wrote it just for you? 😞

I'm tempted to ask you how you can reconcile a timeless, constant, unchanging creator of the universe, with one who makes some rules for humanity to follow one day . . and then decides it's okay to follow different rules the next. I'm tempted to ask, but for the fact that you've convinced me that you won't share your own thoughts and feelings, but instead you will simply default to yet another biblical quote. As if you believed you can let the bible think for you - contradictions be damned. Which I guess brings me around to your quote from Proverbs. I plead guilty of being the fool who displays what I think. What I'm innocent of is allowing an ancient book, written by flawed men, to do my thinking for me. So . . . who's the greater fool?

The self-defined knowers of God’s true (yet changing?) word who contributed to the (OT and NT) Bible’s text are little different than the (current) heads of various Bible based religions (and branches within them) - all claiming to be more correct (informed of God’s intent?) than the others.

Back
Top Bottom