• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Understanding the American political approval mindset

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Poll of how people feel they are doing: 85% are positive

Poll of how people feel about the country being on the right track: 17% are positive

That shows a big problem. One explanation: propaganda has people convinced of something they aren't seeing.

It's like when propaganda had the country HATING the Affordable Care Act by name, while they really like the provisions if asked about them.

And it's pretty dangerous, because whoever can influence public opinion like that can get people supporting lies.

what poll?

There's definitely a large disconnect right now between (1) macro economic indicators and people's own rating of their financial situation on the one hand, and (2) perceptions of the economy on the other.

Poll of how people feel they are doing: 85% are positive

Poll of how people feel about the country being on the right track: 17% are positive

That shows a big problem. One explanation: propaganda has people convinced of something they aren't seeing.

It's like when propaganda had the country HATING the Affordable Care Act by name, while they really like the provisions if asked about them.

And it's pretty dangerous, because whoever can influence public opinion like that can get people supporting lies.
THe problem with polls is two fold. The first is who you pick to partake in the poll. You can usually get the poll numbers you want by who you choose. The second problem is how you phase the question. If you can not get the poll numbers you want, phrase the questions in a manner that will get you there.

THe problem with polls is two fold. The first is who you pick to partake in the poll. You can usually get the poll numbers you want by who you choose. The second problem is how you phase the question. If you can not get the poll numbers you want, phrase the questions in a manner that will get you there.
You really misunderstand reputable polls. There are no sampling biases or 'agenda questions' in these figures.

There's definitely a large disconnect right now between (1) macro economic indicators and people's own rating of their financial situation on the one hand, and (2) perceptions of the economy on the other.
I think that is because people can see how their lives are going up front and personal. How the country is doing is more reflective of their party affiliation and how their party tells them the country is doing. Most Americans are what you could call sheep when it comes to anything beyond their personal lives.

You really misunderstand reputable polls. There are no sampling biases or 'agenda questions' in these figures.
Every poll has its own idea of what reflects the nation as a whole. So every poll has its own biases and agenda questions. When I took my first course, on a way to getting an economics degree, it was statistics. The first book the Prof had us read was titled, " How to Lie with Statistics". A good read.

Yes, I've heard the same. I expect an OP to include the poll it is referencing.

Without a historical trend, any discussion is meaningless. An amateur psychologist might think people, in general, have a positive outlook on their personal lives regardless of their opinions on the economy.

Right now, all people see is inflation. There are even ads that inject inflation humorously. Young people don't remember 1982. I do. Inflation was at today's level, nobody panicked, and we all came out smelling like roses.

Every poll has its own idea of what reflects the nation as a whole. So every poll has its own biases and agenda questions. When I took my first course, on a way to getting an economics degree, it was statistics. The first book the Prof had us read was titled, " How to Lie with Statistics". A good read.
I'm well aware of 'how to lie with statistics', and it doesn't change my comment to you that you badly don't understand reputable polling.

Reputable polling minimizes such issues where sample bias is nearly eliminated and question bias is very little.

That's the issue you need to deal with - but I will also post a video that does great showing the idea of BAD polling.

We had an attempted coup a year ago. Why anyone would think the country is "on track" is a question I would like answered.

Other notable failures;

Healthcare
Eliminating Poverty
Education System

I think we could agree that we have it a lot better than most of the world. But I don't think we should ever be satisfied, even if we do become the world leader in the above;

“You will never be entirely comfortable. This is the truth behind the champion - he is always fighting something. To do otherwise is to settle.”

Back
Top Bottom