• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Undernourished and the Obese

OK, well then I guess we all should thank you for sharing this pearl of knowledge with the world and move on.

Thank you for your contribution in the fight against obesity and hunger.
If you were smart you'd thank me and take note but I'm sure you'll just move on.

My contribution was to the fight against poor grammar.

LOL! My wife and I didn't qualify for the stimulus money. You realize you would have to have an adjusted gross income below $160,000 (married filing jointly) to qualify, right?

Is making less then that amount you stated, a terrible thing? I think making that amount with a significant other, is fabulous. How would money from the government help you? Eat? Shelter? Warmth? The basics......

I don't believe in giving anyone anything.

You gave us your opinions, beliefs. It tells me you are a giver......how did giving me your opinion feel? Great!!! Everyone likes to give.

We are only angry when lazy losers demand taking away what we earned. OUR money is OUR money. A natural right.

The founding fathers applied a little twist to John Lock's "life, liberty, and the pursuit of PROPERTY" when they substituted "happiness for property. Now some sadsack losers believe they are entitled to "happiness" on the backs of other people, which is not what those natural rights are about.
Interesting! How history changes in the eyes of the oppressed.

What would you do about it? Give your opinions? Thank you for giving, you are a kind individual. A life persuit, I presume?!?!?

Interesting! How history changes in the eyes of the oppressed.

What would you do about it? Give your opinions? Thank you for giving, you are a kind individual. A life persuit, I presume?!?!?

no-country-for-old-men-4.jpg

It seems clear that the Obesity/Over nourished population is predominant in certain countries while starvation is in others based almost entirely on peaceful and stable government.
Yep hunger is a political issue. There is no reason anyone should go hungry And wouldn't if the population demands proper government.

It is only odd if you are foolish enough to think anyone in the food industry cares one bit about feeding the world.
It is all about profit.
The only reason we still have famine in this world is because there is no profit to be made from feeding the poor.
The only reason we have obesity is because it is profitable to process food an add undesirable elements like sugar or salt.
. Profit is the reason there are so few poor. Without a profit incentive, food would not be produced efficiently and cost much more.

Obesity is driven more by what you eat rather than how much you eat. Fat (fast) food is much cheaper calorie for calorie than 'nutritious' food, and comes in prepared excessively generous portions.
Maybe y the calorie this is true, but eating nutritiously can be cheaper than fast food. Potatoes carrots cabbage celery brown rice chicken thighs whole wheat bread Whole corn are all very low cost healthy foods.

Nice chink of reality there, our society has all but set itself up for an unhealthy lifestyle by making it so freakin' easy to do so for everyone. I can go buy a Burger and fries 2 minutes away for $4 or make my own healthier meal for $5 in 20....if you are already lazy or not interested in exercise the choice is simple.
I disagree. You can cook a healthy meal for a buck if you are wise about it.

Time wise it is more I agree.

I disagree. You can cook a healthy meal for a buck if you are wise about it.

Time wise it is more I agree.
I don't know about "a buck," but you can certainly throw some rice on the stove, beans in a quick pot and steam up a little broccoli to end up with a good meal for under $5. Add some chicken and maybe it hits 5.

Just out of curiosity.
North Korea... for most Americans, this is a country-a joke, an enemy, a horror story, etc.
I think many of you are well aware that North Korea periodically experiences famine in the mass sense... thanks to the Western world, sanctions and the blockade.
Most of the people living there are no more than hostages of the situation, they did not choose such a life path and cannot change the current situation. Dissidents in Korea do not live long, by the way, their relatives do too.
Only now there is a dumb question-and for what is it to them? All this blockade and endless suffering? Is Kim malnourished by the blockade? No, a very plump face.
But at the same time, all Americans are happy to support the persecution of this people.

Just out of curiosity.
North Korea... for most Americans, this is a country-a joke, an enemy, a horror story, etc.
I think many of you are well aware that North Korea periodically experiences famine in the mass sense... thanks to the Western world, sanctions and the blockade.
Most of the people living there are no more than hostages of the situation, they did not choose such a life path and cannot change the current situation. Dissidents in Korea do not live long, by the way, their relatives do too.
Only now there is a dumb question-and for what is it to them? All this blockade and endless suffering? Is Kim malnourished by the blockade? No, a very plump face.
But at the same time, all Americans are happy to support the persecution of this people.
Any funds going into NK are not going to reach the people who "Live" there and likely you know this, as everyone else does.

Any funds going into NK are not going to reach the people who "Live" there and likely you know this, as everyone else does.
Yep. In fact, NK earns nearly a billion dollars farming out workers to countries all over the world--none of that money goes into the general coffers. However, the money did go into their nuclear program.

. Profit is the reason there are so few poor. Without a profit incentive, food would not be produced efficiently and cost much more.
Which misses the point entirely.

The problem is not with those who produce food or even with those who sell food. the problem is with the middle man who distributes the food. That is where profit is of the only concern and actually feeding people only a minor consideration.

Obesity is driven more by what you eat rather than how much you eat. Fat (fast) food is much cheaper calorie for calorie than 'nutritious' food, and comes in prepared excessively generous portions.

And how much time you spend eating every day. If you never give your body time to burn your excess fat, you're never going to get rid of it.

Which misses the point entirely.

The problem is not with those who produce food or even with those who sell food. the problem is with the middle man who distributes the food. That is where profit is of the only concern and actually feeding people only a minor consideration.
The same truth is there for the middle man. Without a profit incentive distributing food would be ineffecient.
And without a middle man there would be no competition among growers to capture the middle man.

A lot more would starve without profit seeking middlemen. The commies already tried it and killed millions.

I don't know about "a buck," but you can certainly throw some rice on the stove, beans in a quick pot and steam up a little broccoli to end up with a good meal for under $5. Add some chicken and maybe it hits 5.
Dry Beens and bulk rice cann fill you up for less than a buck and it's healthy

Dry Beens and bulk rice cann fill you up for less than a buck and it's healthy
Leave out the broccoli and go cabbage much cheaper
I can get chicken thighs for 99 centsall day.

The same truth is there for the middle man. Without a profit incentive distributing food would be ineffecient.
And without a middle man there would be no competition among growers to capture the middle man.

A lot more would starve without profit seeking middlemen. The commies already tried it and killed millions.
No, a lot more a starving because there are middle men whose only concern is the profit and no concern for feeding people. Again, the only reason we have famine in todays world is because there is no profit to be made feeding the poor.

You are mistaking capitalism for laissez faire capitalism under which most of our food is captured by large corporations whose concern is profit rather than feeding people. Had we a system where capitalism was the philosophy of the middle men then they would have a concern about feeding people because that is how capitalism works by meeting the needs of the consumer. Where as laissez faire only concern is to the profit line.

Leave out the broccoli and go cabbage much cheaper
I can get chicken thighs for 99 centsall day.
Although they are related, cabbage is less nutritious than broccoli. But, I like both, brussels sprouts too.

Cabbage nutrients per serving (100gms)

Calories- 21

Protein -1.3

Carbohydrate-3.2

Fat 0.5

Fibre-1.9

Broccoli nutrients per serving (100gms)

Calories-31

Protein-3.7

Carbohydrate-2.1

Fat-0.8

Fibre-2.4

No, a lot more a starving because there are middle men whose only concern is the profit and no concern for feeding people. Again, the only reason we have famine in todays world is because there is no profit to be made feeding the poor.

You are mistaking capitalism for laissez faire capitalism under which most of our food is captured by large corporations whose concern is profit rather than feeding people. Had we a system where capitalism was the philosophy of the middle men then they would have a concern about feeding people because that is how capitalism works by meeting the needs of the consumer. Where as laissez faire only concern is to the profit line.
Interesting stat is that 6% of all US corn is consumed by making only sweeteners, corn syrup. That's a lot. And, it goes into other high-margin, low-nutrition products like cookies and soda.

It would not surprise me to see that well over 25% of all food stuff grown is consumed by producing junk foods.

Obesity is a disease of malnourishment. High calorie, nutrient poor food leads to obesity. People getting all their macros (carbs, fat, protein) but none of their micros (minerals, cofactors, vitamins) leads to obesity. The obese then eat more an more nutrient poor food to scavenge micros that aren't there, leading to massive weight gain and comorbid diseases.

There are other countries with comparable caloric intake to the USA, like France and Britain, but their obesity level is less because they get all their micronutrients.

People need to stop associating obesity with just "eating too much". Most obese people are actually starving because of the severe lack of micros in their body. They are just not starving in the traditional sense that people associate with that word.

When people get all their micros plus regular exercise, they don't get obese.

Obesity is a disease of malnourishment. High calorie, nutrient poor food leads to obesity. People getting all their macros (carbs, fat, protein) but none of their micros (minerals, cofactors, vitamins) leads to obesity. The obese then eat more an more nutrient poor food to scavenge micros that aren't there, leading to massive weight gain and comorbid diseases.

There are other countries with comparable caloric intake to the USA, like France and Britain, but their obesity level is less because they get all their micronutrients.

People need to stop associating obesity with just "eating too much". Most obese people are actually starving because of the severe lack of micros in their body. They are just not starving in the traditional sense that people associate with that word.

When people get all their micros plus regular exercise, they don't get obese.
Yes, obesity is a symptom of the American Junk Food Addiction. However, you may be wrong about his disease not affecting other countries. China, Japan and all of the Northern European countries now face the same issues.

Hello soylentgreen, I liked your comments. Could I add to them?

There are other reasons for famine, natural disasters like drought, political reasons like North Korean sanctions, and logisticals of getting food to those in need. Mental health issues with homelessness and poverty.

It seems as if this subject keeps growing faster with problems, then solutions. There are good humans working on it. Could we do more to help those trying to tackle these enormous issues with famine and distribution of healthy food to those in need? I hope so......

Thanks for letting me butt into your conversation.

Solving global hunger should be quite a bit less than almost a billion people. Especially when we have govt's spending trillions, corporations worth trillions and individuals worth 100+ billion.

Ever seen what just $1 billion in 100 dollar bills looks like? That would go a ways towards feeding the hungry. Though the global economy cannot support everyone without means. Teaching people ways to sustain themselves, creating opportunities and resolving conflicts is a better investment than trying to supply everyone with the necessities.

1a9cffe0aca8edc1c0221e18c05f665b.jpg

Solving global hunger should be quite a bit less than almost a billion people. Especially when we have govt's spending trillions, corporations worth trillions and individuals worth 100+ billion.

Ever seen what just $1 billion in 100 dollar bills looks like? That would go a ways towards feeding the hungry. Though the global economy cannot support everyone without means. Teaching people ways to sustain themselves, creating opportunities and resolving conflicts is a better investment than trying to supply everyone with the necessities.

1a9cffe0aca8edc1c0221e18c05f665b.jpg
You are absolutely correct. I wonder if they will want to do anything about it?

Those solutions you presented take time and money to achieve. I will wait patiently and give my support to all of it. As I see fit!!

Thanks for your refreshing comments on a monumental issue.

Back
Top Bottom