• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Undernourished and the Obese

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Interesting little factoid. According to worldometer we have twice as many overweight people (1.7 Billion) as those who are undernourished (850M), and roughly the same number of obese (750M).

I find that to be a very odd imbalance. But, it does suggest that well over half the people on the planet are fed just the right amount. So, we’ve kind of succeeded in solving global hunger..

Thoughts

Interesting little factoid. According to worldometer we have twice as many overweight people (1.7 Billion) as those who are undernourished (850M), and roughly the same number of obese (750M).

I find that to be a very odd imbalance. But, it does suggest that well over half the planet is fed just the right amount. So, we’ve kind of succeeded in solving global hunger..

Thoughts
It seems clear that the Obesity/Over nourished population is predominant in certain countries while starvation is in others based almost entirely on peaceful and stable government.

It seems clear that the Obesity/Over nourished population is predominant in certain countries while starvation is in others based almost entirely on peaceful and stable government.
Peaceful, stable governments making good use of available resources. Lots of these hungry countries sit on top of vast reserves of oil, jewels, and other valuable minerals. Myanmar and Venezuela immediately come to mind.

I find that to be a very odd imbalance. But, it does suggest that well over half the people on the planet are fed just the right amount. So, we’ve kind of succeeded in solving global hunger..

Thoughts

Vastly more people have access to enough food to be obese than are obese. Most people generally are not “fed“ in some passive sense. They make choices.

Thoughts

Obesity and undernourishment are strongly correlated in the Western world.

Obesity is driven more by what you eat rather than how much you eat. Fat (fast) food is much cheaper calorie for calorie than 'nutritious' food, and comes in prepared excessively generous portions.

Obesity is driven more by what you eat rather than how much you eat. Fat (fast) food is much cheaper calorie for calorie than 'nutritious' food, and comes in prepared excessively generous portions.
Nice chink of reality there, our society has all but set itself up for an unhealthy lifestyle by making it so freakin' easy to do so for everyone. I can go buy a Burger and fries 2 minutes away for $4 or make my own healthier meal for $5 in 20....if you are already lazy or not interested in exercise the choice is simple.

If you eat few enough calories you will lose weight. The portions is the big issue.

Nice chink of reality there, our society has all but set itself up for an unhealthy lifestyle by making it so freakin' easy to do so for everyone. I can go buy a Burger and fries 2 minutes away for $4 or make my own healthier meal for $5 in 20....if you are already lazy or not interested in exercise the choice is simple.

I can buy a can of soup for $2 and put it in the microwave for a few minutes. Easier than going to Burger King.

I can buy a can of soup for $2 and put it in the microwave for a few minutes. Easier than going to Burger King.
I put a can of soup in my microwave.

Followed by a visit to my local appliance dealer for a new microwave. Burger King would have been cheaper. 😉

Peaceful, stable governments making good use of available resources. Lots of these hungry countries sit on top of vast reserves of oil, jewels, and other valuable minerals. Myanmar and Venezuela immediately come to mind.
Nature and disasters play a roll in resources, being halted too.

In Somalia, droughts kill a lot of humans. Everything must work like clockwork, or famine spreads.

Often when I eat, I think about them, starving. I have more respect for humans who don’t have much......but the will to survive. And less respect for How we complain about the littlest of things.

I also donated to an organization in Mexico, $40 USD can feed, like 800 people.

Is the issue solved, finished, cured. No! Manageable with support, luck, generosity maybe like an addiction. An addict always craves.....I wonder if a staving person feels the same way? 🤔

Thank you for opening my mind up, to a parallel in the universe.

yes, lost a lot of weight that way
What about Jared from Subway?? Do we cancel his accomplishment? Because of a human failure.

Thoughts

Thoughts
When looking at an issue, that seems out of control, (a number counter) are we more apt to give up. Think our small gesture will not help?

Have we ever walked passed a penny on the ground? Waste of my time!!

Multiple that times a million people. That collective money could be used for things, that benefit others. Others you don’t like, care about. Why is that way of thinking wrong?

Thoughts
It is only odd if you are foolish enough to think anyone in the food industry cares one bit about feeding the world.
It is all about profit.
The only reason we still have famine in this world is because there is no profit to be made from feeding the poor.
The only reason we have obesity is because it is profitable to process food an add undesirable elements like sugar or salt.

It is only odd if you are foolish enough to think anyone in the food industry cares one bit about feeding the world.
It is all about profit.
The only reason we still have famine in this world is because there is no profit to be made from feeding the poor.
The only reason we have obesity is because it is profitable to process food an add undesirable elements like sugar or salt.
Hmmm! I found this on the ground! Next to a penny.....

I put a can of soup in my microwave.

Followed by a visit to my local appliance dealer for a new microwave. Burger King would have been cheaper. 😉

You should try not throwing the microwave away after each use. Definitely cheaper.

Do you throw your car in the trash every time you go to Burger King too?

I find a microwave lasts up to 10 years. It’s possible your issue is not money.

Last edited:

Thoughts
They both can be the product of bad choices. Always going for the burger, not the chicken. Skip the salad, have fries instead. Walking past the apple on the way to get more Doritos.

Like so much else in life, it's what you choose to do with the time and opportunities you're given.

(Edit: I'm speaking strictly within the US; world huger and nutrition issues are another matter.)

I don’t think you understand the meaning of this word “undesirable”.

You should try not throwing the microwave away after each use. Definitely cheaper.

I think the comment has to do with putting metal in the microwave.

I don’t think you understand the meaning of this word “undesirable”.
I don’t think you understand the ideology behind “Soylent Green”

Hmmm! I found this on the ground! Next to a penny.....

That is not really much of an example compared to the death of millions due to starvation and related diseases. He is not giving the food away he is gaining government subsidies and pricing his food accordingly.
In contrast.
https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/article/losing-25000-hunger-every-day

The problem is not with those who grow the food or those who feed people such as the restaurateur in your link. The problem is with those who profit from distributing food. An example of that is to ask anyone to rationalise the bendy banana law.
https://euobserver.com/news/149607
In truth, the European Union does have a banana law. Regulation 2257/94 decrees that bananas should meet minimum quality standards such as being 'free from malformation or abnormal curvature of the fingers'.

The law does not outright ban bendy bananas. Rather, it restricts their sale to certain trade categories.

According to the law, bananas of the "extra" category must have no defects, but Class 1 bananas may have "slight defects of shape" and Class 2 bananas may have additional "defects of shape".

This includes, presumably, defects such as "abnormal curvature"

I see you have no sense of humor. That being the case I didn't really put a can of soup in the microwave and neither did you despite your poorly worded anecdote.

Back
Top Bottom