• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Under the Dome

Van Basten

Black Is Smart
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Synopsis:

Set in the near future, Under the Dome tells the story of the residents of the small town of Chester's Mill, who suddenly find themselves cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable barrier that surrounds the town. As the town begins to tear itself apart through panic, a small group of people attempt to maintain peace and order while also trying to uncover the truth behind the barrier and how to escape from it.

CBS' TV adaption of Stephen King's novel of the same name.

Anyone else watch the pilot episode? It was alright, I'll stick with it for now and see in a few episodes if I still care.

Synopsis:

Set in the near future, Under the Dome tells the story of the residents of the small town of Chester's Mill, who suddenly find themselves cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable barrier that surrounds the town. As the town begins to tear itself apart through panic, a small group of people attempt to maintain peace and order while also trying to uncover the truth behind the barrier and how to escape from it.

CBS' TV adaption of Stephen King's novel of the same name.

Anyone else watch the pilot episode? It was alright, I'll stick with it for now and see in a few episodes if I still care.

just finished the pilot. i bought the book the day it came out; i really got into his work as a teenager, and it has stuck through adulthood. this novel was pretty decent, but there are other SK books i like better.

as for TV adaptations of SK, most are fairly horrible. it's mostly because his novels are largely internal dialogue, and that's hard to put on film. Shawshank is probably the best movie adaptation of his work, and that's at least partially because of the narration.

anyway, i thought the pilot was ok enough to watch again tonight.

I often find I'm disappointed when my imagination while reading a book is far more dynamic than the movie or tv depiction of the same thing. I love Stephen King books and I'm almost always disappointed with adaptations of his work - the only exception I can think of is Stand By Me

I often find I'm disappointed when my imagination while reading a book is far more dynamic than the movie or tv depiction of the same thing. I love Stephen King books and I'm almost always disappointed with adaptations of his work - the only exception I can think of is Stand By Me

that one was awesome; i also liked Green Mile. honorable mention for the Shining; the fact that the 80s didn't ruin that one is somewhat amazing. Shawshank was the gold standard.

someday, they'll make an adaptation of The Long Walk. i hope they don't screw that one up, but i don't see how they could possibly get it right. much of the novella is Garraty's internal dialogue.

I haven't read this book mostly because Mr. King's books are just too long for me to tolerate. I don't want to engage in a debate of writing quality because I have nothing to gain and I don't need any enemies. So, enjoy your book and enjoy your show (I don't have a TV yet).

But, while I am not in any way accusing Mr. King of borrowing ideas, there is a 6 book series GONE with an nearly identical concept. I've read them all and I wish to highly recommend them to you.
It’s a scenario that every kid has dreamed about: adults suddenly disappear, and kids have free reign. In this case, though, it’s everyone 14 and older who disappears, and the harsh reality of such unreal circumstances isn’t a joyride after all. A girl driving with her grandfather plunges into a horrific car wreck; gas burners left on ignite a home with a young child trapped inside; food and medical supplies dwindle; and malicious youths take over as the remaining children attempt to set up some form of workable society. Even stranger than the disappearance of much of humanity, though, are the bizarre, sometimes terrifying powers that some of the kids are developing, not to mention the rapidly mutating animals or the impenetrable wall 20 miles in diameter that encircles them.

Despite the YA category, these are not children's books. Very dark, violent and creepy. I give the who series 5 stars and I'm not an easygoing critic.
Gone
Hunger
Lies
Plague
Fear
Light

The series is now complete so you won't have to go through the cliff-hanging experience that I did.

Think of it as The Dome meets The Lord Of The Flies and throw in some very odd super-powers and you have this highly recommended (by Specklebang) series.

Just watched it, going to program my DVR for the rest of the season.

They've got me interested, the mystery strikes me as rather Lost-like.

The Hunger Games is The Long Walk of our modern times IMHO. TLW was a great book and so (IMHO) is the THG trilogy.

that one was awesome; i also liked Green Mile. honorable mention for the Shining; the fact that the 80s didn't ruin that one is somewhat amazing. Shawshank was the gold standard.

someday, they'll make an adaptation of The Long Walk. i hope they don't screw that one up, but i don't see how they could possibly get it right. much of the novella is Garraty's internal dialogue.

The Hunger Games is The Long Walk of our modern times IMHO. TLW was a great book and so (IMHO) is the THG trilogy.

oh yeah; have read the whole series. adaptations are quite good. i still think SK owns the dystopian death games genre, though. TLW? Running Man? all in ONE BOOK? man.

i have the copy of the Bachman Books that i bought at age 16 or 17; includes Rage, which has been removed from later releases due to the sensitive subject matter. i must have read BB from cover to cover dozens of times. the angry young libertarian version of me identified with Barton George Dawes in Roadwork. i've since evolved into a peaceful Helix, but i still love that novella.

Rage is a hard book to find. It was recalled at the request of Mr. King since it sort of provided the staging for Columbine.

King's earlier books and his Bachman books were better than his later work. That's a readers opinion and not a fact.

Lemme know what you think about Gone. I also liked the Uglies trilogy by Westerfeld.

oh yeah; have read the whole series. adaptations are quite good. i still think SK owns the dystopian death games genre, though. TLW? Running Man? all in ONE BOOK? man.

i have the copy of the Bachman Books that i bought at age 16 or 17; includes Rage, which has been removed from later releases due to the sensitive subject matter. i must have read BB from cover to cover dozens of times. the angry young libertarian version of me identified with Barton George Dawes in Roadwork. i've since evolved into a peaceful Helix, but i still love that novella.

Just watched it, going to program my DVR for the rest of the season.

They've got me interested, the mystery strikes me as rather Lost-like.

not to mention that the pilot (Jeff Fahey) from lost is actually in this series. well, at least the first episode.

To be fair to THG, TLW does not explain the (dystopian) society of the times while THG does.

Rage is a hard book to find. It was recalled at the request of Mr. King since it sort of provided the staging for Columbine.

King's earlier books and his Bachman books were better than his later work. That's a readers opinion and not a fact.

Lemme know what you think about Gone. I also liked the Uglies trilogy by Westerfeld.

will have to check those out. have not yet read them.

not to mention that the pilot (Jeff Fahey) from lost is actually in this series. well, at least the first episode.

But not the original pilot! Greg Grunberg! I was actually quite pleased with the cast, so many familiar faces.

*Spoiler* I just hope the councilman's son gets it! The creep... *Spoiler*

I know I'm going to like a show if I already hate a character.

To be fair to THG, TLW does not explain the (dystopian) society of the times while THG does.

THG had multiple novels to do that, though. TLW was one novella, and was character-centered. would love to know more of the backstory, but the fact that is wasn't explained kind of added to the story.

that's not to take away from THG, though. it's just that i was sucked into TLW at a seriously memorable point in my life (teenage years,) so there's an emotional attachment there which probably makes me too biased to judge objectively.

But not the original pilot! Greg Grunberg! I was actually quite pleased with the cast, so many familiar faces.

*Spoiler* I just hope the councilman's son gets it! The creep... *Spoiler*

I know I'm going to like a show if I already hate a character.

Fahey was supposed to be the original pilot, but was replaced at the last minute.

man, that was one great series. i didn't start watching it until last year, and i consumed that series for months. will probably eventually do that with Madmen. have not seen one full episode yet.

Fahey was supposed to be the original pilot, but was replaced at the last minute.

man, that was one great series. i didn't start watching it until last year, and i consumed that series for months. will probably eventually do that with Madmen. have not seen one full episode yet.

Im rather jealous, this recent Madmen finale was incredible! I'd love to be a Madmen virgin.

Tell me you've seen Battlestar Galactica...

Yeah I doubt it beats the Simpson's version of this story. I'll pass. Looks like a sucky knock off of that sucky Lost.

From what I read they already have 13 episodes in the can and was sold as a package with the pilot. Unfortunately, the book is not a series and really doesn't leave itself open to one, the storyline ends. Thus far the pilot was fairly close to the book, so anyone who has read the book, what happens in the series is no mystery. They're going to have to make a major turn or two from the novel in order to go beyond season one.

Ah well, at least it's on CBS. ABC takes shows like this and makes them one season wonders.

Im rather jealous, this recent Madmen finale was incredible! I'd love to be a Madmen virgin.

Tell me you've seen Battlestar Galactica...

not yet.

You're right - I'd forgotten about the Green Mile - it was pretty good. The disappointments tend to crowd out the good ones after a while.

But, while I am not in any way accusing Mr. King of borrowing ideas, there is a 6 book series GONE with an nearly identical concept. I've read them all and I wish to highly recommend them to you.

I doubt that Mr King would be offended by the accusation. He has publicly acknowledged that his themes and story lines are variations of classics.

I did not mean to "attack" King. Really just trying to promote Gone since I really, really liked it and while its sold well, I'm sure some people haven't heard of it because it isn't a "best seller" and nobody goes to book stores anymore.

I doubt that Mr King would be offended by the accusation. He has publicly acknowledged that his themes and story lines are variations of classics.

Last edited:
With no TV, I don't see much video and I usually don't like it anyway. But I do suggest this one season series. They did bring it to closure despite cancellation. Take a look...
THE LOST ROOM

Back
Top Bottom