• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Under the Dome and Gun Control

Are you trolling me or something?

I'm trying to help you understand that everything is political. Nothing exists in a vacuum. Politics is a point of reference that cannot be denied personally or otherwise. Notice, I don't claim it is the origin of all things, but it is a universal reference point that only the intentionally ignorant fail to observe.

I think sometimes, and bear with me, TV show writters don't think about their politics when writting a script.... maybe, just maybe, they think about other things like "Will this be an interesting character," or "will people want to watch this" or "will this get approved and give me some nice resume material?"

Call me crazy I know.

If you really believe that, you're more gullible than you appear.:confused:

Katrina was not the apocalypse. A magical dome from the sky could be.

Also, those people were stupid and some paid the price.

When the **** hits the fan, do you plan to give up your gun?
That will never happen again, and why would you just "give up your guns".

That will never happen again, and why would you just "give up your guns".

I dunno, what's wrong with people? Who gives up a gun when the **** hits the fan?

I dunno, what's wrong with people? Who gives up a gun when the **** hits the fan?

I guess the stupid. Part of having a gun is for emergencies.
May have to protect home and family.
If things get bad enough, may have to hunt some food.

The new TV series "Under the Dome" made a weak stab at gun control in the latest program. I noticed that a crowd of folks turned in their firearms, while the one that didn't was portrayed as a looney. BTW, the TV series is nothing at all like the book!:lamo

Good thing it's not like the book. I stopped watching after the first three episodes because it was like the book and having read the book I know how it ends and what was happenning. That's the problem for me with Steven King movies - I know how they're going to end, what's going to happen and he's such a brilliant author there's no way the movie version is going to be better.

exactly. it would be a good idea for a simpson's episode or maybe even a mini-series but a prime time regular series? stupid as hell

Or Pelosi's re-election platform...

None of that matters. The fact is some would in even an emergency situation turn in their guns. Some people are good little sheep.

They run to the wolf for protection and belittle the sheepdog...

If anything the show is anti government given how the govt outside tried to kill everyone, and the govt inside is corrupt as hell. But I think its just trying to be entertaining.

the show is stupid as hell. some mysterious dome just dropped out of the freakin sky and cut this POS town off from the rest of the world and apparently no one on the entire planet knows where it came from or what it is. I can't see it following the King novel even remotely since it would not make for any long term run. (in the novel almost everyone is killed in short order and "the dome" turns out to be the alien equivalent of kids putting lightening bugs in a mason jar.)

"Simpsons did it."

The idea of turning your guns in in the TV series is pretty close to what the left wants in reality - those in power could then control the masses.

The new TV series "Under the Dome" made a weak stab at gun control in the latest program. I noticed that a crowd of folks turned in their firearms, while the one that didn't was portrayed as a looney. BTW, the TV series is nothing at all like the book!:lamo

You are referring to the situation wherre the corrupt townie bigshot and a random hitman turned deputy asked people to turn in their guns on behalf of druig dealer who just happened to be caught in town asnd knew both of them? I am just checking because if you actually watched the show it came off as more pro-gun considering you know the request is coming from a corrupt reason and that someone is up to no good. It is not really a pro-gun control statement to say that when the people in charge ask for your guns it is because they want to solidify power and start up a black market. It was not played as a good event for the people.

Yes, I actually watch the thing, no it is not terribly great, and I will probably be Ok because i have not read the story which normally is far superior when it comes to stephen king works. I had to watch something, the walking dead premier for season 4 is still months away and game of thrones sucks ass. At least this one is mockable and you can play stephen king bingo.

It's not unusual in a disaster situation for authorities to try to decrease the risk of panicked people doing stupid things by disarming them. It's also not unusual for people to refuse. I've read the book, the town law enforcement is crooked as hell and there is a side plot involving a crazy recluse and a meth lab operating with law enforcement help. Soooo, a crooked local government looks to disarm a populace in a closed environment? Where's the news?

It's not unusual in a disaster situation for authorities to try to decrease the risk of panicked people doing stupid things by disarming them. It's also not unusual for people to refuse. I've read the book, the town law enforcement is crooked as hell and there is a side plot involving a crazy recluse and a meth lab operating with law enforcement help. Soooo, a crooked local government looks to disarm a populace in a closed environment? Where's the news?

There is no news, just another example of left wing propaganda.

There is no news, just another example of left wing propaganda.

You are actually missing the left wing propaganda. I was stuck in a doctor's office and watching one of the makers talk about this show, and he says that the townie head was based on Dick Cheney. I cannot say i see such a thing, even though the town head is portrayed as corrupt and greedy. however, that is what they said about that character. I also think you are going a bit overboard on a pretty standard drama creator. I cannot say until I see how it all plays out, but it is clearly been shown up until this weeks episode that the removal of the people's guns was sinister. If you wanted to say other parts like where some kids in town were shooting people and looting, or junior having a gun, or the battle over the well showed the dangwer to society of guns then i could buy it. I have to wonder considering what you foccused on if you have seen the show or are just parroting what you have heard in other places. It has been very clearly played in the show that the people were generally too trusting to give up their guns and they really have not done a greast job at showing the panic that would be set in and the damage that would be done with a lot of guns around and anarchy. Even in the case where they came to the gun enthusiast's house to take his weapon they portrayed him as being calm and collected, but saddened by his wife's death and reasonably cracking under extreme circumstances. Even the incident where that guy shot someone was because he had a wacked out junkie in his house and he just escaped and worried more about the person accidentally shot. The portrayal of the town so far as working together and having little violence considering the situation has been pretty pro-gun. For the most part these people own guns and are not shooting each other despite huge bad things happening.

I really do not think you have seen this series because even the example you talked about had references to the fact people had a right to own guns even in that situation.

The series also takes a stab a fracking by saying methane had made the water undrinkable even though methane in water has no proven ill effects towards humans.

Too bad you forgot to mention that the person who initiated the program (Dean Norris) is also portrayed as a powerhungry loony psycho.

Too bad you forgot to mention that the person who initiated the program (Dean Norris) is also portrayed as a powerhungry loony psycho.

good point, the show does have some semblance to reality

"We're in deep ****, some unknown aliens or something have trapped us under an impenetrable dome! What's the first thing we should do??"

"Oh, I know! Disarm everybody! That way nobody can defend themselves if things get worse!" :roll:

Idiocy.

"We're in deep ****, some unknown aliens or something have trapped us under an impenetrable dome! What's the first thing we should do??"

"Oh, I know! Disarm everybody! That way nobody can defend themselves if things get worse!" :roll:

Idiocy.

those who want to disarm us are probably aliens. Ever see V?

It's for these reasons I've given up on watching TV programs.

OK, I can put this to rest.

I worked on Under the Dome. (I too think it's not a very good show, so I'm not insulted by the statement.) I was in the middle of everything.

There was no political intention behind the episode whatsoever.

Period.

Full stop.

Idiocy.

Actually, only the one character wanted to do it, and it was nowhere close to the first thing they did. The (acting) sheriff and the former Army op both said that people have a Second Amendment right to their guns. The whole thing was entirely voluntary. And the only reason Dean Norris's character did it was ulterior, not political.

Actually, only the one character wanted to do it, and it was nowhere close to the first thing they did. The (acting) sheriff and the former Army op both said that people have a Second Amendment right to their guns. The whole thing was entirely voluntary. And the only reason Dean Norris's character did it was ulterior, not political.

You will get a bad reputation among the gun posse for being a gun grabber if you point out the flaws in their paranoid delusions. There is certainly not a lot of gun control in the series aside from the one request which came from sinister motives, and was voluntary. Plus, not a lot of people end up dying considering the actual guns around. It is no walking dead.

Back
Top Bottom