• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Under Medicare Single Payer Health Insurance Say GOOD BYE to Health Care Bankruptcy in USA

Under single-payer, say goodbye to medical bankruptcies in the United States.

According to Physicians for a National Health Program and U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), more than 62 percent of the more than 2.2 million personal bankruptcies in the United States are due to medical expenses.

This problem does not just touch those with health insurance. Many of those who need to file for bankruptcy due to medical costs had health insurance coverage. Single-payer health care would provide health care for all and ensure that no one goes bankrupt due to illness.

This video explains the problem and the solution very well.

Top 10 reasons to support single-payer on Medicare’s birthday - CitizenVox

Say hello to a massive increase in taxes.

That's exactly what corporate designed health insurance is = a massive tax

Wrong.

Corporate health care cannot force anyone to pay anything if they don't want to.

On the other hand, the government CAN make you pay whether you want to or not. THAT is a tax.

--- 10. Under single-payer, say goodbye to medical bankruptcies in the United States.

According to Physicians for a National Health Program and U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), more than 62 percent of the more than 2.2 million personal bankruptcies in the United States are due to medical expenses.

This problem does not just touch those with health insurance. Many of those who need to file for bankruptcy due to medical costs had health insurance coverage. Single-payer health care would provide health care for all and ensure that no one goes bankrupt due to illness.

--- 9. If it’s good enough for the royal baby, George Alexander Louis, it’s good enough for the United States.

Here’s my previous blog on this topic.

--- 8. Single-payer would cover everyone.

I believe health care is a right – not a privilege reserved for the wealthy. Regardless of how much you have in your wallet, you would have access to doctors and hospitals under a single-payer system. In the wealthiest nation in the history of humanity, it is the least we can do.

--- 7. If members of Congress tried to shut down the government to defund single-payer, they would be defunding health care coverage for themselves and their families.

Unless members of Congress and their families participate directly in a particular health care system, they can hold it hostage for political gain. Case in point: 60 members of Congress recently sent a letter to their leadership requesting that House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) shut down the government if the administration doesn’t “defund” Obamacare. If those representatives and their families received their health care through a single-payer system, they would be less inclined to defund it.

--- 6. It works well in other countries.

Dozens of other industrialized countries can’t all be wrong. Their people live longer, their child mortality rate is lower and they have unrestricted access to maternity care. This is an example of where we could learn something from studying how other countries provide health care.

--- 5. Transitioning to a single-payer system would save billions of dollars.

If the United States was able to move away from its private health insurance system, we could save more than $400 billion a year in administrative costs. Further savings could be obtained by adopting European-style drug pricing and provider payments.

--- 4. Single-payer is simple to administer

H.R. 676, model single-payer legislation, is 30 pages long. It does not need to be thousands of pages long accompanied by a mountain of regulations. A few key principles: Universal coverage, publicly funded and publicly administered, is easy to implement.

--- 3. Single-payer will increase business competitiveness.

If you remove the more than $1 trillion dollars that private employers pay for health care every year, it would greatly improve the playing field for American business. It is often stated that GM must add $1,500 to $2,000 to the sticker price of a car due to health care costs that car companies in other countries do not have to bear (i.e. Germany and Japan). Having the government be responsible for health care would improve business efficiency, productivity and employment.

--- 2. You wouldn’t lose your health care if you lose your job.

Every American would have health care no matter what their employment status. Now when people lose their jobs, they also find themselves without health insurance. That’s the last thing someone needs who is trying to figure out how to meet the basic necessities of life.

--- 1. Say goodbye to private insurance company abuse.

Private insurance companies have generally made their money by only insuring the healthy and denying claims for the sick. Moving toward single-payer would eliminate the perverse incentives inherent in the private insurance system and turn the focus back to helping heal the sick instead of maximizing profit.

Dave Sterrett is the health care counsel for Public Citizen’s Congress Watch division.

That's exactly what corporate designed health insurance is = a massive tax

What will be lost is boat loads of campaign money.

There are 8 lobbyists per elected official in this mess. There are tons of misinformation scams being perpetrated in this mess.

Lobbyists, political campaigns and misinformation scams are being funded with health care dollars.

The industry has been known to blow $1.4 million dollars a day to save their multi trillion tax dollar subsidized guaranteed profit system.

This misinformation money was funneled through the US Chamber of Commerce.
== Misinformation campaigns @ $1.4 million health care dollars a day
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/05/AR2009070502770.html

=== A multi trillion $$$$$ scam!!!

== 8 lobbyists per elected official = expensive mouthpieces

Yes folks we in America are being duped by the industry and some elected officials.

Next some extra added attractions:

== Healthy humans seldom spend what they pay out to the insurance industry!

Say hello to a massive increase in taxes.

And a concurrent massive reduction in health insurance premiums*, and outrageous deductibles, which often more than makes up for the tax.

*(as in GONE ALTOGETHER)

Yes folks we in America are being duped by the industry and some elected officials.

Wendell Potter used to be the "Duper-in-Chief" at his job as Corporate Communications Officer at CIGNA.

Potter was employed by Humana in Kentucky before he moved to Connecticut to work for CIGNA in 1993. He began his journey towards resigning and becoming a consumer advocate in July 2007 when he saw a free clinic run by Remote Area Medical in rural Virginia:

What he saw appalled him. Hundreds of desperate people, most without any medical insurance, descended on the clinic from out of the hills. People queued in long lines to have the most basic medical procedures carried out free of charge. Some had driven more than 200 miles from Georgia. Many were treated in the open air or in the county fair livestock barns. Potter took pictures of patients lying on trolleys on rain-soaked pavements.

Potter retired from CIGNA in 2008 and became an active voice on healthcare reform in 2009.

Wendell Potter has had a lot to say about how the health insurance industry has bamboozled the American people for decades.

And a concurrent massive reduction in health insurance premiums*, and outrageous deductibles, which often more than makes up for the tax.

*(as in GONE ALTOGETHER)

*(Along with millions of jobs in the insurance industry.)

The idea is your taxes increase by less than you would otherwise pay in medical insurance and medical expenses.

And remove your ability to choose how much you want to pay for medical insurance and medical expenses.

You guys don't seem to have a problem with shedding millions of jobs, in every industry.

If Trump really cared about the economy he would not have wasted nearly seventy days trying to politicize the pandemic.
The good news is, those millions of insurance industry workers have skills that can be adapted to all sorts of work outside of health insurance.
As for the folks whose jobs basically consisted of figuring out how to DENY healthcare to others, boo hoo, not going to cry for them.

They'll find new jobs.

And remove your ability to choose how much you want to pay for medical insurance and medical expenses.

Not at all. Medicare will not pay for everything. Its up to you to decide if you want a supplemental policy and what you want covered under that policy. Medicare is good basic coverage and catastrophic insurance; it is not a cadillac plan. Under current law there is no requirement that you even take medicare, leaving the door open for alternatives.

The insurance industry is substantially an unnecessary middle man that tends to add to the cost infrastructure.

We didn't not move forward with cell phones because we were worried about the jobs tied to traditional telephones. What about the cable industry? A market economy adapts as it grows more efficient. There will still be the need for third party claims processors serving either the government or the health providers.

Last edited:
Not at all. Medicare will not pay for everything. Its up to you to decide if you want a supplemental policy and what you want covered under that policy. Medicare is good basic coverage and catastrophic insurance; it is not a cadillac plan. Under current law there is no requirement that you even take medicare, leaving the door open for alternatives.

LOL!!

So...not only do you want to massively raise my taxes, you are telling me that all that money ISN'T going to give me the coverage I want. I'll STILL have to buy insurance.

:doh :roll:

The insurance industry is substantially an unnecessary middle man that tends to add to the cost infrastructure.

And you want to substitute a middle man that I have the choice to deal with or not...with a middle man who gives me NO choice whether I want to deal with them or not.

Elizabeth & Cult have always misrepresented the healthcare link to bankruptcy. Just because medical bills were included in bankruptcy proceedings does not mean that medical bills caused the bankruptcy.

We didn't not move forward with cell phones because we were worried about the jobs tied to traditional telephones. What about the cable industry? A market economy adapts as it grows more efficient. There will still be the need for third party claims processors serving either the government or the health providers.

The government didn't tell people to move to cell phones...or else. People CHOSE to move to cell phones.

That's called a market economy...and the government has no business putting its finger on the scales.

Instead of filing bankruptcy you could wait until your debt is sold and resold to some other company. Settle with them for a much cheaper rate. Maybe wait until some charity buys that debt and takes care of it. Hospitals and and many other companies don't hang onto the debts for too long.

Meet the 18-year-old who helped wipe out $6.7 million in medical debt
A wave of letters sealed in canary yellow envelopes will descend upon Syracuse, New York, and the surrounding region in just a few weeks. They contain good news for the recipients: Thanks to the efforts of a local high school senior, their medical debt has been wiped out.

While some high school seniors were slacking off during their final months of school, Talia Zames, 18, launched a campaign to raise $15,000 in an effort to pay off old medical debt from those in her own community.

To help connect her donated dollars with those in need, Zames coordinated with the nonprofit RIP Medical Debt. The organization locates unpaid medical debt and then uses charitable donations to forgive old, outstanding debts for pennies on the dollar.

In 2016, the nonprofit gained national prominence after “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” worked with RIP to wipe out $15 million worth of medical debt for approximately 9,000 people, a stunt that John Oliver claimed was the biggest giveaway on television.

Zames’ months-long “Project Eraser” campaign did not quite hit Oliver’s level, but she did surpass her initial goal, raising $20,000 in total. That enabled RIP Medical Debt to purchase and abolish $6.7 million in old medical debt from Onondaga, Madison and Oneida counties near Syracuse, New York. The recipients will be receiving letters in the mail from RIP around July 12.

Homepage - RIP Medical Debt

Group will clear medical debt for around 4,000 people in SWFL

Can I Buy My Own Debt for Pennies on the Dollar? | Credit.com

LOL!!

So...not only do you want to massively raise my taxes, you are telling me that all that money ISN'T going to give me the coverage I want. I'll STILL have to buy insurance.

That is the way Medicare works now. Its also the way national health insurance works in Canada and many other countries: there is a baseline coverage, and you buy a supplemental suitable for you. The supplemental is much, much, much cheaper than you are accustomed to paying because the baseline and catastrophic are part of Medicare.

Again, because we move to a preventative model, your tax increase should be far less than is being paid for by you (or for you by employer) and out of pocket costs. Remember, America has, by far, the most expensive health care in the world (50% higher than the next most expensive country) with very mediocre results. The current system is not efficient to flat out does not work. We need a different approach.

Thanks for the link, but I get enough spin, speculation, innuendo, HYPERBOLE, lies...and, of course, Maddow-like sarcasm from my fellow idiot members of DP.

I'll pass.

Which is why, now that you've referred to me as an idiot, I'll shove it directly under your nose:

In context, Trump seemed to be saying that his preferred boycott may cost Goodyear employees their jobs -- the company employs 60,000 workers just in Ohio -- but he doesn't believe it should matter too much, since they'll just go work somewhere else.

fact check trump supporters.jpg

Back
Top Bottom