• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UN Security Council Votes 11-1-3 to Condemn Russia's Invasion

jpn

Retired Navy Commander
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Russia vetoed the U.S.-backed Security Council resolution condemning Moscow's invasion of Ukraine. The vote on the council was 11 nations in favor, one against and three abstentions -- China, India and the U.A.E. As a permanent member, Russia has veto power.​
India’s U.N. ambassador, T.S. Tirumurti, justified his country's abstaining from a vote condemning Russia’s invasion of Ukraine by saying that “diplomacy was given up.” Dialogue is the only way to end hostilities, he said. “It is a matter of regret that diplomacy was given up. For these reasons, India has chosen to abstain from this resolution.”​

I'm surprised by the gutlessness of India. Shame on them.

The U.N. Security Council has been non-functional and ineffective for some decades now. Their votes are irrelevant to me. Put differently, big whoop that 15 people in some room answered a poll question. I suppose we could start a poll here, have 15 people answer it, then ask news agencies to issue press releases summarizing the poll response, with select quotations from some of the respondents.

As to India, I'm a bit disappointed but not too surprised. India for a long time was well aligned with the USSR / Russia as a counterbalance to the United States (for reasons still inexplicable to me) going all-in with Pakistan. The US-India relationship seems to go through light and regular thawing/freezing cycles... it thawed a bit under Clinton, became warm under Bush, then cooler with Obama, then warmer again under Trump. Not sure whether the current administration has articulated a strategic position although it's my opinion that it's in the interest of the U.S. and India to become tight allies if either hopes to be competitive by the close of this century.

So let me get this straight.... India abstained from censuring Russia for starting an all out war because they say negotiations had broken down before Putin invaded? That makes no sense.

So let me get this straight.... India abstained from censuring Russia for starting an all out war because they say negotiations had broken down before Putin invaded? That makes no sense.
I am confused as well. One possible explanation: India has 16,000 citizens, a great many of them students, currently stranded in Ukraine, so their focus may be on avoiding antagonizing Russia in order to have more options to evacuate their nationals. Not taking sides between Russia and Ukraine may be a good short term strategy when your priority is to get your people out. That may not be a bad call, considering that this vote didn't actually mean anything.

Russia should be kicked out of the UN.
That would require Russia voting to kick itself out.

Dumb, yes, but that's how the UN is setup. Five nations get to dance all night; all the others gaze longingly from afar and occasionally get a short-lived rotation on the dance floor.

And you see the uselessness of the UN, Russia was allowed to veto a motion condemning the war they started
The UN is actually the weak federal government model kinda by design.

And you see the uselessness of the UN, Russia was allowed to veto a motion condemning the war they started
The current setup has too many countries that can veto

That would require Russia voting to kick itself out.

Dumb, yes, but that's how the UN is set up. Five nations get to dance all night; all the others gaze longingly from afar and occasionally get a short-lived rotation on the dance floor.

Logically, it should be set up so all the other nations vote on Russia's status as a permanent member. Of course they were not thinking logically when Russia violated UN laws in the past because the second-most populous country in the world is not going to lose anything except a vote on the board.

China abstaining is interesting.

Not at all. They are all in the eye of the world and voting. Without the UN they would all be in bunkers and not communicating.

The U.N. Security Council has been non-functional and ineffective for some decades now. Their votes are irrelevant to me. Put differently, big whoop that 15 people in some room answered a poll question. I suppose we could start a poll here, have 15 people answer it, then ask news agencies to issue press releases summarizing the poll response, with select quotations from some of the respondents.

As to India, I'm a bit disappointed but not too surprised. India for a long time was well aligned with the USSR / Russia as a counterbalance to the United States (for reasons still inexplicable to me) going all-in with Pakistan. The US-India relationship seems to go through light and regular thawing/freezing cycles... it thawed a bit under Clinton, became warm under Bush, then cooler with Obama, then warmer again under Trump. Not sure whether the current administration has articulated a strategic position although it's my opinion that it's in the interest of the U.S. and India to become tight allies if either hopes to be competitive by the close of this century.
The UN is mostly not worth a damn. The Russians start this mess and vote to not hold themselves condemned for it. The world is a mess because of progressives who want everyone to "just get along". Sounds nice but some folks, some nations don't want to get along they want to get what others have and will use force of arms to take it.

Russia vetoed the U.S.-backed Security Council resolution condemning Moscow's invasion of Ukraine. The vote on the council was 11 nations in favor, one against and three abstentions -- China, India and the U.A.E. As a permanent member, Russia has veto power.​
India’s U.N. ambassador, T.S. Tirumurti, justified his country's abstaining from a vote condemning Russia’s invasion of Ukraine by saying that “diplomacy was given up.” Dialogue is the only way to end hostilities, he said. “It is a matter of regret that diplomacy was given up. For these reasons, India has chosen to abstain from this resolution.”​

I'm surprised by the gutlessness of India. Shame on them.
I have never understood why Russia has veto power.

Russia stands alone.

Back
Top Bottom