• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UN report finds widespread sexual assault in Asia-Pacific region

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
UN report finds widespread sexual assault in Asia-Pacific region | News | DW.DE | 10.09.2013

A quarter of men surveyed in six countries in the Asia-Pacific region have admitted to committing rape. The prevalence of rape varied widely between locations, according to a UN report.
In the first regional study of its scale, "Why Do Some Men Use Violence Against Women and How Can We Prevent It?," researchers interviewed more than 10,000 men aged between 18 and 49 in Bangladesh, China, Cambodia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Papua New Guinea. Authors said they did not intend for the survey to serve as an authoritative statistical overview of rape in these six countries or of the Asia-Pacific region.
"The study was premised on the well-documented hypothesis that violence against women is a manifestation of unequal gender relations and harmful manifestations of hegemonic masculinity governed by patriarchal beliefs, institutions and systems," according to the report, which was funded by several UN agencies, as well as Australia, Britain, Norway and Sweden and released Tuesday in the journal Lancet Global Health.
Teenagers made up about half the men who admitted to rape, with 12 percent younger than 15 years old. Forty-five percent of the men who admitted to rape said they had assaulted more than one woman. The majority said they had not faced any legal consequences for their actions.

Read the rest at the link.

if they had gone to India, Pakistan and other Asian countries, not just asian pacific countries, the numbers would have been much higher. Even as it is, 40k men is not much, if they had made a more widespread research over all population classes I'm sure the numbers would have been much higher than that.

Where are the feminists fighting for womens' right in these countries? Ah yes, nowhere. Because there is no white male patriarchy there and because it's real work to be done... real hard work and real issues. And you don't have the tolerant and equal societies that only western civilization has produced.

Where are the feminists fighting for womens' right in these countries? Ah yes, nowhere. Because there is no white male patriarchy there and because it's real work to be done... real hard work and real issues. And you don't have the tolerant and equal societies that only western civilization has produced.

Actually there are plenty fighting for womens rights in these countries, both women and men. In India for example, there are NGOs who actively go after the government and local officials on honor crimes and other violence against women.

The problem is that these countries still are heavily male dominated in every aspect of life and that will change as soon as more and more women are educated and start pushing back on their traditional roles (baby factories)... it happened in the west during the 1890s-1950s and it will eventually reach the same level in these countries.

Actually there are plenty fighting for womens rights in these countries, both women and men. In India for example, there are NGOs who actively go after the government and local officials on honor crimes and other violence against women.

The problem is that these countries still are heavily male dominated in every aspect of life and that will change as soon as more and more women are educated and start pushing back on their traditional roles (baby factories)... it happened in the west during the 1890s-1950s and it will eventually reach the same level in these countries.

Only if they westernize. There is no other way for them to move to a more egalitarian society otherwise.

And it's not that there aren't people fighting for womens' rights in those countries, it's that feminists in western countries don't. They are too busy to fight imaginary white male patriarchy in video games here at home instead of dedicating their resources and efforts to reduce the inequality in countries who truly need support.

Only if they westernize. There is no other way for them to move to a more egalitarian society otherwise.

Which means what exactly?.. become more white?

Which means what exactly?.. become more white?

They can't become more white nor does their skin color matter. But it does mean to adopt western methods and western ideology. Look at Japan, Shanghai, South Korea, Singapore and other examples of countries that became westernized very successfully. This doesn't mean that they completely supplanted their national traditions with western ones, but they adopted a great deal. And that's why they are prosperous nations.

They can't become more white nor does their skin color matter. But it does mean to adopt western methods and western ideology. Look at Japan, Shanghai, South Korea, Singapore and other examples of countries that became westernized very successfully. This doesn't mean that they completely supplanted their national traditions with western ones, but they adopted a great deal. And that's why they are prosperous nations.

Err the traditional role of women is still going very strong in places like Japan, South Korea and Singapore... Shanghai aint a country. There are very few women in top jobs, and rapes/abuses of women happen all the time. For example one of the biggest groping capitals on the planet is Japan where women are sexually assaulted daily in trains, but few are reported... since it is a male dominated society. Those countries are not "westernized", they just have different traditions and ways of keeping women in check. And as for Shanghai.. China is also riddled with abuses of women, and especially of female fetuses who are being aborted/killed on mass. It has become so bad that there is a rather large lack of women (relative to the amount of men) in China these days.

All this has nothing what so ever to do with "westernized", but has everything to do with getting rid of the power of religion plus allowing women to get educated. 40+ years ago women who wanted to be doctors or lawyers were fround upon big time and discriminated against.. this was going on all over the "western" world. A good example is Spain... before 1980, women were barred basically from university because of religious based fascist policies and catholic traditional "values". Women were second class citizens, but that all changed when the Spanish state got rid of the shackles of the Catholic Church and women in Spain has not looked back since. Same thing has some what happened in Ireland since the Irish joined the world by entering the EU, and it has happened all over the western world. With that laws against abuses of women have come on the books and more and more actions against abusers (not enough still) has happened.. and reporting has gone up massively.

So your whole theory is flawed.

Err the traditional role of women is still going very strong in places like Japan, South Korea and Singapore... Shanghai aint a country. There are very few women in top jobs, and rapes/abuses of women happen all the time. For example one of the biggest groping capitals on the planet is Japan where women are sexually assaulted daily in trains, but few are reported... since it is a male dominated society. Those countries are not "westernized", they just have different traditions and ways of keeping women in check. And as for Shanghai.. China is also riddled with abuses of women, and especially of female fetuses who are being aborted/killed on mass. It has become so bad that there is a rather large lack of women (relative to the amount of men) in China these days.

All this has nothing what so ever to do with "westernized", but has everything to do with getting rid of the power of religion plus allowing women to get educated. 40+ years ago women who wanted to be doctors or lawyers were fround upon big time and discriminated against.. this was going on all over the "western" world. A good example is Spain... before 1980, women were barred basically from university because of religious based fascist policies and catholic traditional "values". Women were second class citizens, but that all changed when the Spanish state got rid of the shackles of the Catholic Church and women in Spain has not looked back since. Same thing has some what happened in Ireland since the Irish joined the world by entering the EU, and it has happened all over the western world. With that laws against abuses of women have come on the books and more and more actions against abusers (not enough still) has happened.. and reporting has gone up massively.

So your whole theory is flawed.

I don't know why I wrote shanghai, I may have been thinking of something else. I did by no means want to include China in the whole affair, I am not claiming china is westernized by any stretch of the imagination.

You are bringing up Spain as an argument when Spain was not part of the free world. It was the last fascist remnance in Europe after WW2... and half of Europe is communist. What, you're going to start bringing up the treatment of people in East germany or Poland during communism? Only after fascism in spain fell, and so did the iron curtain drop, did those countries become westernized properly, or are in the process of catching up their western counterparts.

My theory isn't flawed. Westernization is a force for good and the only force for real genuine progress in the world. I didn't say Japan became fully like the west now did I, I did say:
This doesn't mean that they completely supplanted their national traditions with western ones, but they adopted a great deal
The status of women in Japan, thanks to westernization, is far closer to the way women are in the west rather than how they are in India. So in other words, if the west would be 100 and India would be 0, Japan would be around 60-70 in the way we can grade social equality and egalitarianism in japanesse society in relation to western society.

UN report finds widespread sexual assault in Asia-Pacific region | News | DW.DE | 10.09.2013

Read the rest at the link.

if they had gone to India, Pakistan and other Asian countries, not just asian pacific countries, the numbers would have been much higher. Even as it is, 40k men is not much, if they had made a more widespread research over all population classes I'm sure the numbers would have been much higher than that.

"Because there is no white male patriarchy there"

Is this what you think is necessary to instill the concept of 'women's rights?' - a white male patriarchy? -- That makes little sense.

Violent acts happen and continue to happen, thriving as part of a society, for a few standard reasons:

(In no particular order - but pick one or several, and you have your reasons)
#1) the government or law doesn't see the concern, chooses not to act.
#2) the government or law does see the concern, but does not have the knowledge or ability to act.
#3) the problem is far bigger than what government or law can do if/when they do act. Thus, once they start, they cannot progress, but they cannot quit, either.
#4) the individuals being the victims don't know how to instigate their own authority and allow their selves to be subjugated by fear.
#5) the victims and those who are concerned all look to someone else for strength or intervention.
#6) no one sees it as a problem and they don't feel concerned.
#7) no one is punishing the perpetrators, there is no reason not to engage in said activity.
#8) the acts aren't seen as a negative, but a positive, and encouraged by the perpetrators or even the government.

I'm sure there are more issues - but this really seems to cover quite a bit.

To end this - or greatly reduce the issue - in these other countries - someone has to be willing to step up, and expecting 'those who fight for women's rights' to do so is not only blind (because they do that), but also naive (in order to do so, they have to go against a government which loathes them, and that which will not listen). In essence: you're wanting the US government to wage war and instill new values. . . because that's what it would take.

I wonder how many women would be willing to band together, arm their selves, and go against the aggressors, becoming the aggressors themselves in order to assert their essential value in their society? Risking jail, and even death, for what THEY believe is right?

Last edited:
"Because there is no white male patriarchy there"

Is this what you think is necessary to instill the concept of 'women's rights?' - a white male patriarchy? -- That makes little sense.

Violent acts happen and continue to happen, thriving as part of a society, for a few standard reasons:

(In no particular order - but pick one or several, and you have your reasons)
#1) the government or law doesn't see the concern, chooses not to act.
#2) the government or law does see the concern, but does not have the knowledge or ability to act.
#3) the problem is far bigger than what government or law can do if/when they do act. Thus, once they start, they cannot progress, but they cannot quit, either.
#4) the individuals being the victims don't know how to instigate their own authority and allow their selves to be subjugated by fear.
#5) the victims and those who are concerned all look to someone else for strength or intervention.
#6) no one sees it as a problem and they don't feel concerned.
#7) no one is punishing the perpetrators, there is no reason not to engage in said activity.
#8) the acts aren't seen as a negative, but a positive, and encouraged by the perpetrators or even the government.

I'm sure there are more issues - but this really seems to cover quite a bit.

To end this - or greatly reduce the issue - in these other countries - someone has to be willing to step up, and expecting 'those who fight for women's rights' to do so is not only blind (because they do that), but also naive (in order to do so, they have to go against a government which loathes them, and that which will not listen). In essence: you're wanting the US government to wage war and instill new values. . . because that's what it would take.

No my point was that feminism in western countries don't make noise regarding the inqualities in countries where real inequalities exists because there isn't any of this fictional "white male patriarchy" there to challenge. There is real oppression there and feminism can't do diddly squat about it. Certainly not feminism as it is today in the west, a cultural terrorist movement.

That being said, yes, you are completely correct on the matter of why violence happens and why inequality exists in those countries. It is my point exactly.

No my point was that feminism in western countries don't make noise regarding the inqualities in countries where real inequalities exists because there isn't any of this fictional "white male patriarchy" there to challenge. There is real oppression there and feminism can't do diddly squat about it. Certainly not feminism as it is today in the west, a cultural terrorist movement.

That being said, yes, you are completely correct on the matter of why violence happens and why inequality exists in those countries. It is my point exactly.

Yeah they do - all the time. Petitioning governments and doing international operations to give aide to these women. You're just not paying that much attention, apparently.

Why would you expect it to be in the same manor as which we went through things in the west? We used the legal system, because it was there to use and our country values it greatly. Win a legal battle, and many people will enforce the ruling even if they don't agree. Even considering that, women were unlawfully imprison, and some killed, in the effort to establish the right to birth control, women's suffrage, etc.

In another country: they would have to use their own system, and approach it differently, if they made it a priority.

Not simple, but not an impossible concept. Some countries are significantly different because of such efforts.

You're saying A) no one cares to even try and B) it's impossible to do it like it's done in the US.

You're wrong on the first, and only partially correct on the second (it's not impossible, but it would have to be done differently as the opportunity to make a case in a court system wouldn't be possible)

Last edited:
Yeah they do - all the time. Petitioning governments and doing international operations to give aide to these women. You're just not paying that much attention, apparently.

Perhaps I am not paying sufficient attention ,but that's because these feminist organizations in the west aren't either. They're too busy making cultural terrorism and trying to demonize the "white male patriarchy" while at the same time, making allowances for islam in the UK or France.

I am not saying that there are not western feminist organizations that do indeed work for the benefit of women in the countries mentioned in the report, it's just that they are in the minority among the feminists.

Perhaps I am not paying sufficient attention ,but that's because these feminist organizations in the west aren't either. They're too busy making cultural terrorism and trying to demonize the "white male patriarchy" while at the same time, making allowances for islam in the UK or France.

I am not saying that there are not western feminist organizations that do indeed work for the benefit of women in the countries mentioned in the report, it's just that they are in the minority among the feminists.

You seem lost - and I'm not sure how to put you back on track. Apparently you've latched on to the few actions of some extremists and believe that constitutes "everything that feminists do these days"

The exact opposite is true.

There are several world-wide reaching organizations that have women's interests in mind. Some have roots in these countries and help abused women start a new life. They're not the same ones you hear about going topless in front of barbie houses - because they have more important things to actually do.

i think this is a good example of how the few fools (topless barbie protesters) overshadow the actual good that comes out of such systems - that's ALL some people will ever hear or think of, junk like that.

Of course, fear of death is a powerful motivator, or subjugater (depending on your view). These countries in particular are totalitarian, or nearly so, and standing up means death in the minds of the people. Thus - the women aren't the only victims, honestly, men who oppose such things are also held back.

Last edited:

You seem lost - and I'm not sure how to put you back on track. Apparently you've latched on to the few actions of some extremists and believe that constitutes "everything that feminists do these days"

The exact opposite is true.

There are several world-wide reaching organizations that have women's interests in mind. Some have roots in these countries and help abused women start a new life. They're not the same ones you hear about going topless in front of barbie houses - because they have more important things to actually do.

i think this is a good example of how the few fools (topless barbie protesters) overshadow the actual good that comes out of such systems - that's ALL some people will ever hear or think of, junk like that.

Of course, fear of death is a powerful motivator, or subjugater (depending on your view). These countries in particular are totalitarian, or nearly so, and standing up means death in the minds of the people. Thus - the women aren't the only victims, honestly, men who oppose such things are also held back.

Perhaps you are correct and indeed, the majority of activist feminists are working towards enhancing, in a meaningful manner, the status of women in (our) society, and in the developing nations, and helping them out. Maybe that is true. maybe it is so.

But much like in the case of everything, they aren't the ones who are taking the center stage. The center stage is taken by the extremists that do go topless in front of barbie houses and castrate Ken dolls and cheer when men get hit in the balls. Whether you like it or not, they are the face and spirit of feminism in the west. And that is cultural terrorism.

So she is correct in her words, she makes valid points and is right on the money, especially regarding China. It's just a shame that she is the one who makes those sentences. The moment I ,or anyone for that matter, decides to trust Hillary Clinton and invest her with trust is the day said person should go make preparations for a lobotomy.

So she is correct, but she isn't you know, the right figurehead to carry such a message. Someone stronger than her, less corrupt and with a better, cleaner name needs to be the one who will carry such a message.

Perhaps you are correct and indeed, the majority of activist feminists are working towards enhancing, in a meaningful manner, the status of women in (our) society, and in the developing nations, and helping them out. Maybe that is true. maybe it is so.

But much like in the case of everything, they aren't the ones who are taking the center stage. The center stage is taken by the extremists that do go topless in front of barbie houses and castrate Ken dolls and cheer when men get hit in the balls. Whether you like it or not, they are the face and spirit of feminism in the west. And that is cultural terrorism.

Don't be misled by the media - just because they focused on the topless barbie protester doesn't mean she represents anything.

You say activist - and I only think of those out in the world and actively pursuing it, who have built their lives around the efforts. Topless protesters at the pink barbie home are not that, they're just a nuisance. Having stickers on your truck doesn't amount to much, either.

By this definition - I'm not even an activist. The only one who are - are those still making an effort and a difference. Everyone else is passive, reaping benefits without engaging in said action (yes, me included - that covers most Americans).

So she is correct in her words, she makes valid points and is right on the money, especially regarding China. It's just a shame that she is the one who makes those sentences. The moment I ,or anyone for that matter, decides to trust Hillary Clinton and invest her with trust is the day said person should go make preparations for a lobotomy.

So she is correct, but she isn't you know, the right figurehead to carry such a message. Someone stronger than her, less corrupt and with a better, cleaner name needs to be the one who will carry such a message.

IOW, she shouldn't be the one because you don't like her. The people who should be the one are the feminists who you also don't like

Don't be misled by the media - just because they focused on the topless barbie protester doesn't mean she represents anything.

You say activist - and I only think of those out in the world and actively pursuing it, who have built their lives around the efforts. Topless protesters at the pink barbie home are not that, they're just a nuisance. Having stickers on your truck doesn't amount to much, either.

By this definition - I'm not even an activist. The only one who are - are those still making an effort and a difference. Everyone else is passive, reaping benefits without engaging in said action (yes, me included - that covers most Americans).

Well I never really considered you for being a feminist activist. I see activists as being anyone who takes activity, in the public square, towards completing the goal they claim to represent.

So for instance. I went to protest against a mining operation in my country 2 days in a row. That makes me an activist because I actively took part in accomplishing a goal that i believe is right.

For feminists, I see the feminists who berate men and protest topless as being feminist activits... just like the women who take part in meaningful projects to improve womens' lives. It's just that one kind of activists are cultural terrorists and the others are too few or too silent to matter. And I, much like everyone one, won't go with a magnifying glass looking for them.

IOW, she shouldn't be the one because you don't like her. The people who should be the one are the feminists who you also don't like

That is true. If feminists want to put their weight behind her, fine. They just shouldn't be surprised when the rest of her political garbage comes and takes her down, along with messages like the ones in the video, which are rather good. And through that process, the good message she carries will be tainted and it will all go to ****.

Well I never really considered you for being a feminist activist. I see activists as being anyone who takes activity, in the public square, towards completing the goal they claim to represent.

So for instance. I went to protest against a mining operation in my country 2 days in a row. That makes me an activist because I actively took part in accomplishing a goal that i believe is right.

For feminists, I see the feminists who berate men and protest topless as being feminist activits... just like the women who take part in meaningful projects to improve womens' lives. It's just that one kind of activists are cultural terrorists and the others are too few or too silent to matter. And I, much like everyone one, won't go with a magnifying glass looking for them.

That is true. If feminists want to put their weight behind her, fine. They just shouldn't be surprised when the rest of her political garbage comes and takes her down, along with messages like the ones in the video, which are rather good. And through that process, the good message she carries will be tainted and it will all go to ****.

I would be an activist in my own country if the need arose, but we're past that era in the US at the moment (though that's not a guarantee). It would have to be significant, gargantuan, honestly, something big enough to excuse dumping the responsibility I have to my children off onto someone else so I could travel off and see to something.

Which is the case of most women, even when do things arise - they have families and children. A lot of men don't often have to worry about 'what to do with the kids' - but I do.

Back
Top Bottom