• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UN Human Rights *chuckle* Council: Iran chairs UNHRC's social forum on promoting human rights

Roadvirus

Heading North
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This coming on the heels of the Iranian gov't hanging 2 men for "blasphemy"

Iran will serve as chair of the Human Rights Council Social Forum for the next year, which is set to be focused on how technology can be used to promote human rights. The announcement came just days after Iran executed two men for participating in a social media discourse titled "Critique of Superstition and Religion."

Yes, Virginia, the UN is a flipping joke.

This coming on the heels of the Iranian gov't hanging 2 men for "blasphemy"

Yes, Virginia, the UN is a flipping joke.
Yes, the UN is a joke - one in very bad taste. Iran is not the only state to be in breach of its commitment to the UN Charter. It's time for the UN to be replaced by a new organisation of states who actually practice freedom, democracy and justice.

Yes, the UN is a joke - one in very bad taste. Iran is not the only state to be in breach of its commitment to the UN Charter. It's time for the UN to be replaced by a new organisation of states who actually practice freedom, democracy and justice.
Which states would that be? You used three rhetorical constructs whose definitions are entirely subjective. :unsure:

Which states would that be? You used three rhetorical constructs whose definitions are entirely subjective. :unsure:
We could start with the two states of which I am a citizen, Sweden and the UK. We could then add yours, the USA.

It would not really be that difficult to define and exclude tyrannies and despotisms.

We could start with the two states of which I am a citizen, Sweden and the UK. We could then add yours, the USA.

It would not really be that difficult to define and exclude tyrannies and despotisms.
Hmm.....perhaps we should ask how “free“ LGBT people are feeling in states like Florida these days, or women are in places like Louisiana 🙄

Would not include the US my friend. See below
I found this,
1Denmark0.958Working Democracy

4Sweden0.946Working Democracy

17United Kingdom0.892Working Democracy

36United States of America0.811Deficient Democracy

Would not include the US my friend. See below

I found this,
1Denmark0.958Working Democracy

4Sweden0.946Working Democracy

17United Kingdom0.892Working Democracy

36United States of America0.811Deficient Democracy
A great number of things can be found on line. Some interesting some worthless. How were these numbers calculated? What criteria were used? How were various factors weighted?

A good example of why we should not take these 'ranking' tables seriously. What has 'knowledge' and 'environment' to do with democracy. Tweak the arbitary formula and obtain different results.

The freedom to seek knowledge and how countries treat their environment are both indicators of what sort of country exists under the veneer.

Back
Top Bottom