• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UN experts detail extensive war crimes amid Tigray conflict

Nomad4Ever

Dark Brandon Acolyte
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
U.N.-backed investigators said Thursday they have turned up evidence of war crimes and crimes against humanity by Ethiopian government forces, Tigray forces and Eritrea’s military — including rape, murder and pillage — over the nearly two-year war centering on Ethiopia’s northern Tigray region.

The Commission of Inquiry on Ethiopia, which is working under a mandate from the U.N.’s Human Rights Council, attributed a litany of war crimes on all sides, but said the government forces of Ethiopia had also resorted to “starvation of civilians” as a tool of war. It also said both Ethiopian and Eritrean forces were found to be responsible for “sexual slavery” — while Tigray forces were not.
I’m glad the U.N. is directing attention to this issue. For those who don’t know, the Tigray civil war has had catastrophic casualties over the last two years. It could arguably be called a genocide, and the war crimes have been documented a filmed openly and brazenly by those committing them.
Recently, researchers at the University of Ghent estimated that as many as 500,000 people may have died from war and famine in Tigray. Somewhere between 50,000 to 100,000 were victims of direct killing, over 150,000 died as a result of starvation, and over 100,000 deaths were caused by the lack of health care.
If you are interested in reading more about the conflict this article is fantastic.

I’m glad the U.N. is directing attention to this issue. For those who don’t know, the Tigray civil war has had catastrophic casualties over the last two years. It could arguably be called a genocide, and the war crimes have been documented a filmed openly and brazenly by those committing them.

If you are interested in reading more about the conflict this article is fantastic.

I know precious little about this conflict. I had heard some murmurings towards the beginning of the year, but it never made the headlines.

UN experts detail extensive war crimes amid Tigray conflict​

UN experts, a new oxymoron I hadn't heard before.

Back
Top Bottom