• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Umpire Jim Joyce makes a horrible call, costing a pitcher a perfect game.

Oh, see I didn't know that. My sports knowledge up there is shamefully limited because of my new geographical limitations. Que sera, sera.

I just assumed that they saw the absolutely first-class way Galarraga handled it and followed suit. You have to admit that he's acted with a tact to survive the ages in this situation.

I think that Galarraga has achieved more in his reactions during and since the game, than he would have had he gotten the perfect game.

An exceptionally well written piece on the affair: Joe Posnanski

And in that moment when he had a perfect game so unfairly taken away from him, he smiled. In the interview after the game, he simply said that he wasn’t sure about the call but he was proud of his game. When told afterward that Joyce felt terrible about the missed call, Galarraga said that he wanted to go tell Joyce not to worry about it, that people make mistakes.

Galarraga pitched a perfect game on Wednesday night in Detroit. I’ll always believe that. I think most baseball fans will always believe that. But, more than anything, it seems that Galarraga will always believe it. The way he handled himself after the game, well, that was something better than perfection. Dallas Braden’s perfect game was thrilling. Roy Halladay’s perfect game was art. But Armando’s Galarraga’s perfect game was a lesson in grace.

Back
Top Bottom