• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Umatilla County politician wrote racist letter to himself, police say

Explain what exactly you mean by "trolling OP".

What about it is trolling?

Using a single incident of no significance as bait to raise debate on what he himself says is a detraction from “real racism issues” and only serves as “fodder for hate based supremacy groups.”, without naming exactly what is the OP subject of debate. Except, possibly, the letter.

Using a single incident of no significance as bait to raise debate on what he himself says is a detraction from “real racism issues” and only serves as “fodder for hate based supremacy groups.”, without naming exactly what is the OP subject of debate. Except, possibly, the letter.

There have been many of these "single incidents", though. Well documented in this thread, too.

The fact that you want to stick your fingers in your ears while chanting "la la la la, la la la la..." is a YOU problem.

With the 62million nazis that voted for trump, you would think there would be plenty of supply to meet the demand of racist attacks. We really need to do a better job.

These idiots....

Faking hate crimes hurts future victims of REAL hate crimes.

As well as detracting and distracting from the real, systemic issues that face America.

I'm not sure what an appropriate response to such a fake hate crime is. I've heard suggested that the party responsible should recieve the same punishment as someone who had committed the actual crime, but I'm not sure if that's the best response or not. Certainly I imagine he will no longer be employed.

As well as detracting and distracting from the real, systemic issues that face America.

I'm not sure what an appropriate response to such a fake hate crime is
. I've heard suggested that the party responsible should recieve the same punishment as someone who had committed the actual crime, but I'm not sure if that's the best response or not. Certainly I imagine he will no longer be employed.

Apparently for some, its to pretend it never happened.

The subject of the OP.

One single incident involving one single person does not rise to any level of significance to support any claim that any significant number of people are lying about racism against people of color.

There are a lot of people that join various movements because they want to belong to something and because they want kinship that they aren't getting elsewhere. Their lack of self-esteem drives a deep emotional response that isn't dramatically different than "Stockholm Syndrome" and, if they lack a tangible connection to the cause, they sometimes feel a need to create one just so they fit in.

Maybe we can call it the Smollett Syndrome.

Crap like this trolling OP only serves to inflame the problems and detract from focusing on actual (racial) incidents.

I think you meant, 'when people do things like the man discussed in the OP, it only serves to detract from focusing on the actual issue.'

Don't cast blame on the person trying to have the discussion. Blame people like Mr. Lopez, Mr. Smollett, or Mr. Wallace for creating incidents where there isn't one.

Because its much better to pretend such things do not happen and actually cause harm?
Its not a "single incident", and its just as damaging to those attempting to address actual incidents of racism by undermining the validity of racisms existence.

The virulent response you present to the OP, and your attempt to dismiss the problem as "trolling" is nothing more than a not so subtle effort to silence anyone that brings it into the light.

How this OP makes you feel is a matter for you to work through; your feels are not my problem.

I do not say that such things do not happen nor cause harm. It is a single incident because the OP presented no others. I suppose it undermines the validity of racisms existence to those who do not believe there is racism in America today.

My reply to the OP is not “virulent” (bitterly hostile). It is sarcastic. Notice that I did nothing more than take from the OP’s first sentence the following line: “… crap like this only serves to inflame the problems and detract from focusing on actual incidents…” and add the term “trolling OP” and “(racial)”. Or, do you think the OP’s post is virulent, also?

Your last sentence is of a truth that applies to everybody.

Last edited:
Jussie Smollett was significant.

It was significant as a single incident, involving others in what was a crime and rightly being prosecuted. Can you add them all up and prove there is statistical significance?

To make such a broad claim as “fake hate crimes are the problem” requires proof of statistical significance, not just a string of incidents. I’ve not seen such.

Another thing which is often overlooked in getting as far into debate as we have is definition. Only the ones you cited that have an underlying prosecutable crime can also include “hate crime”, by definition. How many does that leave? That’s the law.

You are left with a “problem” of little significance compared to other problems in the realm of what the OP said were “real racism issues in our nation”.

To make such a broad claim as “fake hate crimes are the problem” requires proof of statistical significance, not just a string of incidents. I’ve not seen such.

Another thing which is often overlooked in getting as far into debate as we have is definition. Only the ones you cited that have an underlying prosecutable crime can also include “hate crime”, by definition. How many does that leave? That’s the law.

You are left with a “problem” of little significance compared to other problems in the realm of what the OP said were “real racism issues in our nation”.
To make such a broad claim as “fake hate crimes are the problem”

No, I never said that….you did.

What I said was: "There are very real racism issues in our nation, and crap like this only serves to inflame the problems and detract from focusing on actual incidents"….I never stated, implied, or inferred such a thing, so lets just kick that statement to the curb.

This is one single incident. YOU are the one making an OP about it that serves to distract from real racism issues, which you don’t bother to say what they are. You’re advertising the dang thing. There’s no purpose to your OP. Hence, trolling.

Lets examine the above statement; this is one of many, as has been previously shown to you….which you initially chose to ignore, as well as the fact that I wasn’t advertising it, the media was, or it never would have been written about along with the many other instances posted…..unless its really all the media outlets that are trolling?
No purpose? You do not believe the public should be aware of these false reports as well as actual crimes of racism? You should write all the media organizations and present your argument…I’m sure they will readily see your point of view and retract all those articles.

“One single incident involving one single person does not rise to any level of significance to support any claim that any significant number of people are lying about racism against people of color.”

And yet you were provided far more than one or even two incidents indicating it is a significant issue which you chose to ignore or dismiss.

“You are left with a “problem” of little significance compared to other problems in the realm of what the OP said were “real racism issues in our nation”.

Perhaps little significance to you, but clearly enough of an issue that the media has felt the need to bring it to the attention of the public, and apparently newsworthy enough to be commented on in this thread by others….and that is your problem, not mine.
Your first response to this OP was to immediately start swinging the words “trolling OP” like a cudgel in an effort to discourage further discussion….I will not stop discussing, and, I suspect, neither will anyone else.

My view on this entire thread as it pertains to you is simply this;

bluesmoke is not bothered by these incidents.
bluesmoke is incensed that someone had the audacity to bring the matter to light in a debate forum for discussion.

I think you are so entrenched in your willful refusal to see another point that it renders any further discussion on the matter pointless.
Good day.

Last edited:
There have been many of these "single incidents", though. Well documented in this thread, too.

The fact that you want to stick your fingers in your ears while chanting "la la la la, la la la la..." is a YOU problem.

Cute. The claim was of hate crimes. How many of these "many" incidents were of hate crimes? Do you know what constitutes a hate crime? Even the number identified over the period of time of them is a mere handful. Reduce them the the number that are actual hate crimes, which requires and underlying crime, and YOU have next to nothing. You don't understand the need for legal definition and statistical significance.

Cute. The claim was of hate crimes. How many of these "many" incidents were of hate crimes? Do you know what constitutes a hate crime? Even the number identified over the period of time of them is a mere handful. Reduce them the the number that are actual hate crimes, which requires and underlying crime, and YOU have next to nothing. You don't understand the need for legal definition and statistical significance.

All of them. Faking a hate crime IS a hate crime by definition.

UMATILLA COUNTY, Ore. -- A man who claimed he received a hate-filled, racist letter from an anonymous person allegedly wrote the letter himself, Hermiston Police say. Chief Jason Edmiston tells Action News that the criminal investigation for Intimidation in the Second Degree due to the racist, hate-filled letter received by Mr. Jonathan Lopez on 6/23/20, has been closed. The matter will be referred this week, to the Umatilla County District Attorney’s Office for Initiating a False Report. Initiating a False Report is a Class A misdemeanor in Oregon.

Umatilla County politician wrote racist letter to himself, police say | KEPR

Here is my take on this; There are very real racism issues in our nation, and crap like this only serves to inflame the problems and detract from focusing on actual incidents....in addition it will give people a reason to question valid complaints and provide fodder for hate based supremacy groups.

Just my two cents.

Self created false flag #10,001.

If anything should be considered a hate crime, this is it.

Crap like this trolling OP only serves to inflame the problems and detract from focusing on actual (racial) incidents.

You fully devoted yourself to Joe Biden's "Democrats will no longer accept facts." To you, facts constitutes trolling.

With endless fake claims of racism like this, all alleged "racial incidents" are suspect because they are a constant.

All of them. Faking a hate crime IS a hate crime by definition.

You can't provide evidence to support what you claim. Your own personal word is not evidence without citation. The burden of proof is on you, the claim-maker. Your claim is unfounded for lack of evidence and need not be debated further by me. See you on another thread.

You fully devoted yourself to Joe Biden's "Democrats will no longer accept facts." To you, facts constitutes trolling.

With endless fake claims of racism like this, all alleged "racial incidents" are suspect because they are a constant.

You truly do not know what you are talking about. The incidents cited on this thread are not necessarily “hate” crime by definition. The number of incident is not significant. Statistics of any kind, let alone of any significance, cannot even be produced to support whatever the OP is tilting his lance at is a “problem”.

Back
Top Bottom