• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ulcers

Tomoko

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
So I went to the doctor yesterday and I've been having severe abdominal pain..they did discover I have a stomach ulcer..I am 28 years old..i turn 29 November 11th. Since living in the US for only 8 months I believe it is due to culture shocks and stress. I feel so overwhelmed sometimes I freak out sometimes and get angry and depressed about not making it in such a more fast paced country and I think all this worrying caused it. So is this too young at my age to have an ulcer and should I be worried?

So I went to the doctor yesterday and I've been having severe abdominal pain..they did discover I have a stomach ulcer..I am 28 years old..i turn 29 November 11th. Since living in the US for only 8 months I believe it is due to culture shocks and stress. I feel so overwhelmed sometimes I freak out sometimes and get angry and depressed about not making it in such a more fast paced country and I think all this worrying caused it. So is this too young at my age to have an ulcer and should I be worried?

I've never been to Japan so I really don't know the difference that would cause a lot of stress.
I suggest you take it easy, it can be hard to understand the differences, usually observing and asking lots of questions helps.

No, no..I live in the US now..but i'm from Japan..lol being away from my "comfortzone" I think is what causes this. My doctor said diet is the most important if I want a speedy recovery. I bought this "aloe vera" juice..it tastes like mouthwash but it does ease the pain and works..he said taking it for a few months will help coat the ulcer and stop any bleeding

Last edited:
No, no..I live in the US now..but i'm from Japan..lol being away from my "comfortzone" I think is what causes this. My doctor said diet is the most important if I want a speedy recovery. I bought this "aloe vera" juice..it tastes like mouthwash but it does ease the pain and works..he said taking it for a few months will help coat the ulcer and stop any bleeding

Oh I understand, what I'm saying is that I don't know the differences in culture.
What I've been told, is that typically in Japan, people are expected to be very conservative in their behavior and attitude.

Milk also helps with ulcers. :)

What bothers you the most or is most frustrating?
Asking questions, to better understand, can be very helpful.

Remember I am female too so sometimes I am crazy I'm told by my co-workers lol If I dont take my birth control to balance out my hormones I'll go old testament on somebody lol we wouldn't want that now would we. Another thing might I add..is sometimes I think I have social anxiety...I can read, type, write english just fine..it is hard for me to speak. so sometimes I studder or come off with the wrong words and get nervous. It's something that's hard for me to overcome..when im face to face with someone..it's not like for me to be on here where I feel more comfortable

Last edited:
Another thing might I add..is sometimes I think I have social anxiety...I can read, type, write english just fine..it is hard for me to speak. so sometimes I studder or come off with the wrong words and get nervous. It's something that's hard for me to overcome..when im face to face with someone..it's not like for me to be on here where I feel more comfortable

That's definitely understandable.

Knowing a language and speaking it correctly are two different things.
With that said, practice makes perfect, you will still have your accent but even then, I'm sure most people will understand you.

You're still in new surroundings, so it does take a while to become settled.

I SPEAK ENGRISH AND GOOD DISCIPRINE! lol
msn_red_fox_smilies-17.gif

Are you sure it's a stress ulcer and not one caused by pylori bacteria? If it's a bacterial infection, stress will make it worse but you probably picked up the infection from someone else, most likely by kissing someone with the infection already. Tonsil hockey is fun but a great way to spread a myriad of ailments.

In either case, the good news is ulcers do go away with time and care but they can come back swiftly if you aren't careful.

My fiancee had a bleeding peptic ulcer from high school and she has no problems with it now. She had to avoid seriously spicy food and tons of stress for a few years, but she made a recovery. Cramming down tons of spicy food and prolonged stress may make it flare up again but as long as you recognize when you're agitating it and stop doing whatever you're doing to make it worse, you should be ok

Are you sure it's a stress ulcer and not one caused by pylori bacteria? If it's a bacterial infection, stress will make it worse but you probably picked up the infection from someone else, most likely by kissing someone with the infection already. Tonsil hockey is fun but a great way to spread a myriad of ailments.

In either case, the good news is ulcers do go away with time and care but they can come back swiftly if you aren't careful.

My fiancee had a bleeding peptic ulcer from high school and she has no problems with it now. She had to avoid seriously spicy food and tons of stress for a few years, but she made a recovery. Cramming down tons of spicy food and prolonged stress may make it flare up again but as long as you recognize when you're agitating it and stop doing whatever you're doing to make it worse, you should be ok

Diet soda gave me one, it went away when I moderated my drinking of it.

Nope. no H. Pylori..they ran tests and even did the wonderful camera up the you know where. that's one thing i've never been is much of a soda pop drinker..or alcohol or much of anything carbonated..so I think im safe there.

Diet soda gave me one, it went away when I moderated my drinking of it.
Something in the soda could have irritated an already existing ulcer that wasnt bad enough to bother you.

People also underestimate the effect CO2 can have on your gut. Drinking lots of soda puts a lot of gas into you and if you cant get rid of it fast enough it can cause real pain, especially if you have a pre-existing condition (like an ulcer)

Last edited:
Something in the soda probably irritated an already existing ulcer that wasnt bad enough to bother you.

People also underestimate the effect CO2 can have on your gut. Drinking lots of soda puts a lot of gas into you and if you cant get rid of it fast enough it can cause real pain, especially if you have a pre-existing condition (like an ulcer)

I used to drink soda like it was going out of style.
I'm talking 12 cans a day sometimes.

I think the acidity of it helped cause the ulcer, now I don't have any problems, even when my stress level goes up.

Have you been given the Helicobacter treatment regime.

A LOT of ulcers are due to infection by a bacterium known as Helicobacter Pilori (I tink I spelt dat rite!)

Watch the acid foods, esp. citrus. Better to get Vitamin C in pill form. I have esophageal lesions and get the upper scope every year. You can take antacids in multiple combinations. I take Tagamet and Zantac together - you can take whatever works for you b4 meals. Good luck.

Regards from Rosie

Well the ulcer is about the size of a dime. I don't have it THAT bad. and like I mentioned before, No, I don't have H. Pylori. took blood tests and all that. I havn't lost any weight or anything either. I'm tall for a japanese girl and lanky 5'8" 135lbs

Yes you are young enough but think on the positive side. You are a teenager having tremendous vigour and potential to do something in future. Set your goal of life. Get motivated from your elders and friends. Fight with this situation bravely and prove yourself to be A Bravo. Nothing is impossible. You may consult your doctor for further treatment and control on food intake.

Back
Top Bottom