• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ukrainians shocked by 'crazy' scene at Chernobyl after Russian pullout reveals radioactive contamination

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

--

Since the article presents a quite a few details & incidents, that support a larger picture that is best understood in totality, I'm going to eschew my usual excerpts and simply present the article.

But my, what a picture it presents!

This sounds like one of those self-managing problems.

Most of those soldiers will be dead in a couple of years.
Or suffer from long-term health issues. Maybe Leukemia or whatever.

The ones that don't die in the next two years are certain to face that.

I saw this in the cnn article.

>>Officials at the plant explain the levels inside the room used by Russian soldiers are only slightly above what the World Nuclear Association describes as naturally occurring radiation.<<

At that I dismissed the rest of the article as propaganda

>>Officials at the plant explain the levels inside the room used by Russian soldiers are only slightly above what the World Nuclear Association describes as naturally occurring radiation.<<

Inside the room.

Not in the trenches they were digging.

Not much propaganda here, just good old-fashioned schadenfreude.

Why did you stop the quote mid-paragraph?

Here's the very next sentences:

One-time contact would not be dangerous but continuous exposure would pose a health hazard. "They went everywhere, and they also took some radioactive dust on them [when they left]," Ugolkov adds.

The room is dangerous for continuous inhabitance, and that's just from the dust on the bottom of their shoes. These guys were digging in the radioactive forest, staying & sleeping out there!

Inside the room.

Not in the trenches they were digging.

Not much propaganda here, just good old-fashioned schadenfreude.

Yep. Trenches they dug, stayed in, and slept in, for a month! Until they became radiation sick and got out!

Yep. Trenches they dug, stayed in, and slept in, for a month! Until they became radiation sick and got out!

The radiation may very well also affect whatever progeny they have in the future.... birth defects etc.

The radiation may very well also affect whatever progeny they have in the future.... birth defects etc.

If they were in a hot-zone long enough to get physically sick, you better believe your scenario is possible.

People interested in this thread may also want to read this one:

This thread does not have all the anecdotes that the article in "The New York Times" does (one scarier and crazier than the next), but like the one @Chomsky posted it gives a sense of the stupidity and recklessness of the Russian soldiers

People interested in this thread may also want to read this one:

This thread does not have all the anecdotes that the article in "The New York Times" does (one scarier and crazier than the next), but like the one @Chomsky posted it gives a sense of the stupidity and recklessness of the Russian soldiers

Thanks, NewfieMom! (y)

Back
Top Bottom