• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky Bans 11 Opposition Parties

The little fascist has banned the opposition parties and shut down 3 TV stations that were critical of him. This was in effect since before Putin's invasion, but now Zelensky has made it official.
Such a great hero of "democracy" :rolleyes:
If this is "democracy", then what does autocracy from him look like?

About a week ago I saw a video of someone in Russia being arrested for holding up a blank sign.

I believe you are pointing your finger at the wrong person.

Because the US installed its own govt in Kyiv in 2014, turning it into a bulwark against Russia right on its doorstep.
How did the US react to Soviet missiles in Cuba? The US was ready to start WW3 over that. The US didn't care that Cuba and Moscow were engaging in voluntary mutual cooperation, because the US felt threatened by that, and was ready to wage war over it. US tried to invade Cuba multiple times.

US also invaded Serbia, in case you hadn't noticed.
US invaded Iraq too.
Afghanistan had no jihadists, until the US spent billions of dollars creating them in the 80s. What do you call that?

Your reasoning: "When I invade someone, it's all good. When someone else does it, then it's bad"
How is the weather in Russia comrade?

Oh, sure - you'd love a One Party State over there - just like you'd love it for the US.
Hey, enjoy that hissy fit, but meanwhile just know that making crap up without anything to back it up is the sign of an immature mind.

They lived in The Ukraine ("outer areas") of Russia -- just as those west of the Dniepr lived in the outer areas of Poland.
Both were living in the outer areas of these respective countries.

Ukraine didn't exist as a "country" until the breakup of USSR - that's hardly generations. From WW2 to end of USSR, it was fully inside USSR. From before WW2, the western half of Ukraine was Poland, and the eastern half of Ukraine was Russia.

Those Russians in eastern Ukraine have always lived there. They didn't immigrate to Ukraine, like your grandparents immigrated to USA. And wow - you must be really old to have grandparents from the 1800s.
My parents were the youngest, in each family, of eight children and married late in their lives. Their parents came here as teens. But, yes, I have seen a lot of U.S. history. I'm glad I am the age I am as I do not want to live long enough to see the destruction of our democracy.

The little fascist has banned the opposition parties and shut down 3 TV stations that were critical of him. This was in effect since before Putin's invasion, but now Zelensky has made it official.
You want to know what autocracy looks like? Here you go.

vladimir-putin-xi-jinping_5662894.jpg

It's a war of survival for Ukraine. Shutting down Russian aligned and sponsored political parties and news station pushing Russian propaganda and lies while his citizens are under intense criminal Russian bombardment makes complete sense. Abraham Lincoln had take such drastic measures in beginnings of the Civil War in order to protect the Capital and our democracy when it was under siege. Putin is the real 'fascist' here.

Last edited:

11 parties with links to Russia. They're at war, fergawdsakes. The US jailed Japanese American citizens in concentration camps and confiscated their property because Japan bombed a US naval base.
You need to adjust your perspective.

If you keep trying harder comrade you too may earn the glorious honor of being deemed as being essential to Russia's state media propaganda efforts. And he's probably getting payed more than you too. So maybe you should put in for a raise from the troll farm.

I bet there were loads of German and Japanese orgs here in the US that were banned or heavily restricted before and definitely after Pearl Harbor!

I’m sure during WWII Americans could still read a copy of Völkischer Beobachter every morning with a cup of their favorite joe.

Hi, great thread.

I'm not sure if you missed it, sanman, but Russia has illegally invaded Ukraine. Russia is doing its best to turn Ukrainian cities into rubble, is indiscriminately bombing hospitals, malls, and schools, and you are enraged that Russia can't continue spreading propaganda over Ukrainian airwaves that Ukraine deserves to be destroyed on a Russian peacekeeping mission.

So why don't you take a minute in the corner and do your breathing exercises. Rumor has it that the air has oxygen in it.

Last edited:
Because the US installed its own govt in Kyiv in 2014, turning it into a bulwark against Russia right on its doorstep.
How did the US react to Soviet missiles in Cuba? The US was ready to start WW3 over that. The US didn't care that Cuba and Moscow were engaging in voluntary mutual cooperation, because the US felt threatened by that, and was ready to wage war over it. US tried to invade Cuba multiple times.

US also invaded Serbia, in case you hadn't noticed.
US invaded Iraq too.
Afghanistan had no jihadists, until the US spent billions of dollars creating them in the 80s. What do you call that?

Your reasoning: "When I invade someone, it's all good. When someone else does it, then it's bad"

Sadat's assassination was the game changer long before the US supplied them.

Read more and talk less? (y)

Sadat's assassination was the game changer long before the US supplied them.

Read more and talk less? (y)

Sadat's assassination had nothing to do with Afghanistan. I said there was no jihad problem in Afghanistan. Read what I said and talk less?
It's not like the US had to invade Egypt following 9-11. It had to invade Afghanistan -- where there was a jihadist problem -- one which the US created from nothing in the first place.
Had the USA not created and fueled the Afghan jihad during the 1980s, then it probably wouldn't have had to invade that country later on in 2001.

Likewise, had the US (NeoCon Victoria Nuland) not overthrown Ukraine's pro-Kremlin govt in Kyiv in 2014, then it wouldn't have led to the Russia-Ukraine war we're seeing today.
If this war continues to escalate, it could lead to WW3.

It could also lead to spillover effects and blowback, as happened to America following the Afghan jihad.

There are radical groups in Ukraine - ones which Putin alluded to in announcing his invasion -- and these groups are getting their hands on seriously lethal military hardware -- stuff which could leak out of that country and be used elsewhere.

Remember McVeigh? He wasn't quite as ideologically extreme as these people -- and yet he was angry enough to cause serious death & destruction in OKC.

Sadat's assassination had nothing to do with Afghanistan. I said there was no jihad problem in Afghanistan. Read what I said and talk less?
It's not like the US had to invade Egypt following 9-11. It had to invade Afghanistan -- where there was a jihadist problem -- one which the US created from nothing in the first place.
Had the USA not created and fueled the Afghan jihad during the 1980s, then it probably wouldn't have had to invade that country later on in 2001.

Likewise, had the US (NeoCon Victoria Nuland) not overthrown Ukraine's pro-Kremlin govt in Kyiv in 2014, then it wouldn't have led to the Russia-Ukraine war we're seeing today.
If this war continues to escalate, it could lead to WW3.

It could also lead to spillover effects and blowback, as happened to America following the Afghan jihad.

There are radical groups in Ukraine - ones which Putin alluded to in announcing his invasion -- and these groups are getting their hands on seriously lethal military hardware -- stuff which could leak out of that country and be used elsewhere.

Remember McVeigh? He wasn't quite as ideologically extreme as these people -- and yet he was angry enough to cause serious death & destruction in OKC.

Egypt chased out the 1970's Jihadists............. and where did they go, and who did they join?

Double standards are double standards. The selectivity of the ban was certainly worthy of mention. So parties representing ethnic Russians (one third of the population) are branded as outside of political acceptability, while others are not.
It's like Britain selectively banning Sinn Fein from Northern Ireland, where a huge chunk of the population was Catholic.

So basically, Western Ukraine is the "real Ukraine" but Eastern Ukraine is "fake illegitimate Moscow-poisoned Ukraine"? Gotta make everything look like the West, huh?
It may have escaped your notice but Eastern Ukraine was, in fact, Poland before the West decided Stalin could keep it after the 1939 invasion by the USSR. Do you recognise a pattern here?

It may have escaped your notice but Eastern Ukraine was, in fact, Poland before the West decided Stalin could keep it after the 1939 invasion by the USSR. Do you recognise a pattern here?

No, it's the other side - you've got your compass directions flipped - western Ukraine was Poland until Stalin decided to keep that from WW2 onwards. Eastern Ukraine was already with Russia/USSR.

No, it's the other side - you've got your compass directions flipped - western Ukraine was Poland until Stalin decided to keep that from WW2 onwards. Eastern Ukraine was already with Russia/USSR.
No it was not. My family lived in Eastern Poland in a town called Wlodzimierz Wolynski. After the Soviet invasion they were exiled as slave labour to Siberia and unable to return to their homes after the war because it was under Soviet rule, subsumed into Ukraine.

Egypt chased out the 1970's Jihadists............. and where did they go, and who did they join?

Sadat's assassination was in 1981, after the Afghan jihad had gotten going. That's when the assassins and co-conspirators were tracked to those places.
Jihadists and other radicals fleeing to Afghanistan before then would be no different than Nazis fleeing to South America -- no particular fight over there to join.
The jihad threat from Afghanistan was created by the US financing that war during the 1980s. That was part of the Road to 9/11.

I'm saying that the same could happen from the US fueling & financing a guerrilla war in Ukraine, right on Eastern Europe's doorstep, and it could destabilize Europe - at least the eastern part of it.

I think that Putin's actions are ill-considered, and that he shouldn't have invaded. But I think there's plenty of blame to go around for why this invasion has occurred.

I get that there might be things the West might be able to do differently, in order to meet the situation optimally, whatever those things may be. There always is.

But that's not to imply Russian response is of like kind.

I once again repeat - NATO's relentless eastward expansion, in defiance of promises to the Soviet govt on not expanding NATO beyond East Germany, has pushed things a long way down the road to war, and now we're just quibbling over who took the final steps off the precipice.

Why should Putin call the shots on other independent sovereign entities' form of government?

The problem is Putin can't deal with Democracies setting-up at his front door. So, what? That's his problem, not ours.

Have you looked at the parties that has been banned and cross referenced them against the members of parliaments' parties? I did. I'm not going to do it again to prove it; sorry, you'll have to do your own research. But I did so I knew how frustrated I should be about this. There's no cross section. They seem to be small, fringe parties that are very pro-Russia.

That being said, free speech is an incredibly important aspect of democracy. Though I understand why he did it, that it's not some totalitarian state trying to hush his opponents, I do believe that Ukraine has not done enough to prove themselves a true NATO country and that an application to join NATO should, for now, be denied. We in the free world should continue to support Ukraine. Their reasons for the ban is incredibly understandable. But we don't ban political parties in the US. We have some really extreme groups out here. It's disgusting. It's a cost of freedom.

So yes, that wasn't good of Zelensky to do. It also wasn't bad of him to do. His nation is under severe stress right now, like I cannot begin to imagine. But silencing a minority is not the solution and it's not how democracy works. It sets a precedence that could someday be dangerous. Again, it doesn't make Zelensky a bad guy, or Ukraine totalitarian. The right wing in the US have pounced on this like it was an act in a vacuum. It wasn't. There are some pretty darn good justifications.

Sadat's assassination was in 1981, after the Afghan jihad had gotten going. That's when the assassins and co-conspirators were tracked to those places.
Jihadists and other radicals fleeing to Afghanistan before then would be no different than Nazis fleeing to South America -- no particular fight over there to join.
The jihad threat from Afghanistan was created by the US financing that war during the 1980s. That was part of the Road to 9/11.

I'm saying that the same could happen from the US fueling & financing a guerrilla war in Ukraine, right on Eastern Europe's doorstep, and it could destabilize Europe - at least the eastern part of it.
Respectfully, you may wanna spend more time reading up on the Afghan war against the soviets, the civil war that followed, and the Afghan Arabs.

Well, you may want to read up a bit more than just on that, given your other depictions of Russian propaganda "history".

Back
Top Bottom