• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ukrainian Citizens Have The Right Idea

It's perfectly possible when issues are black and white.

"Possible" does not mean "proven".

Oh ?
Can you give an example of a country deciding to not invade another because of the proliferation of guns amongst the population ?

1] You are asking me to prove a negative.

Did the 2A dissuade the British from invading in 1814 ?

Not always, sometimes invasions are meant to liberate the people (Iraq 2003), sometimes it's to prop up an unpopular government (Afghanistan 1979 and Vietnam) sometimes it's punitive in nature (USA 1814)
And like I asked, please provide an example of a country deciding not to invade because of the armed citizenry

Fair enough.

However, by your statement you concede invasions sometimes are done to occupy.

Of course, the Afghans repelled the Soviet & later US led invasions, but neither the USSR or USA was deterred by the armed Afghan tribesmen.

Also in Mogadishu...but the Iraqis lost and the Mujahedeen only triumphed because of the topography of the country
Though Tbh, when in modern times has a country ever been conquered and successfully annexed? Since WWII, I can only think of one such attempt - Kuwait 1990. (possibly you could add the Falklands 1982 but that was for a small territory).

This is why Russia's invasion of the Ukraine is bound to fail Btw.

Agreed.

It wasn't in 1814

As Otto von Bismarck remarked "The Americans are a very lucky people. They're bordered to the north and south by weak neighbors, and to the east and west by fish."

Were the USA bordered by say Nazi Germany, and were the US military relatively weak, the citizens, hunting rifles and Colt .45's would offer no deterrence.

One exception does not make a rule. Nor does my use of 'deterrent' imply a 'successful' deterrent. I am simply claiming a level of deterrence. It is just one component.

Wherever you're going, have a good time.

Thank you!

I firmly believe that the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans are our greatest deterrents to an invasion.

In terms of invasion, I think the Oceans are indeed a deterrent.

In terms of attack, not so much.

An armed citizenry isn’t even a blip on the deterrent radar.

I believe am armed citizenry is a deterrent component to an invasion and especially to an occupation.

But it is fair to debate the degree of deterrence. To be honest, I really can't ascertain the degree of deterrence. I believe it likely matters little in deterring a missile attack, and may only be a moderate component in deterring an invasion. However, I do believe it would be a substantive deterrent to an occupation.

"Possible" does not mean "proven".

I said it's perfectly possible (to make blanket statements) when the issue is black and white

Do read.

1] You are asking me to prove a negative.

1. Your talking as if a negative can't be proven, when some can
2. And no I'm not, I'm asking you to give an example of a country that made a positive decision, NOT to invade another because of the proliferation of guns amongst the population. That's NOT a negative.

Just not deciding to invade is a negative
But actually making a conscious decision NOT to invade is not

However, by your statement you concede invasions sometimes are done to occupy.

Yes, and sometimes on a temporary basis (eg: USA and Iraq 2003) and sometimes on a permanent one (eg: Iraq and Kuwait 1990).

One exception does not make a rule. Nor does my use of 'deterrent' imply a 'successful' deterrent. I am simply claiming a level of deterrence. It is just one component.

"The exception that proves the rule" - you have heard of this ?

Thank you!

Welcome.

Have you seen any video of Ukrainians destroying Russian tanks with "Molotov Cocktails" ?

The Ukraines have had some success against tanks using such weapons. And interesting to note, they were designed to be used against tanks.

The Finnish defenders knocked out almost 2,000 Russian tanks during the Russian invasion, and reportedly some 400 of these kills were by fire, mainly Molotov cocktails. ( Diffrent war )

I said it's perfectly possible (to make blanket statements) when the issue is black and white

Do read.

1. Your talking as if a negative can't be proven, when some can
2. And no I'm not, I'm asking you to give an example of a country that made a positive decision, NOT to invade another because of the proliferation of guns amongst the population. That's NOT a negative.

Just not deciding to invade is a negative
But actually making a conscious decision NOT to invade is not

Yes, and sometimes on a temporary basis (eg: USA and Iraq 2003) and sometimes on a permanent one (eg: Iraq and Kuwait 1990).

"The exception that proves the rule" - you have heard of this ?

Welcome.

Thanks for your response.

--

So with all of this, I will respectfully restate my opinion in light of what we discussed, and let you take of it what you may:

1] I believe an armed citizenry has some degree of deterrent to invasion, especially invasion to occupy.

2] It is fair to debate to what the degree of deterrence it may be, even if it's believed to be minimal, but I maintain there is at least some component of it.

The Ukraines have had some success against tanks using such weapons. And interesting to note, they were designed to be used against tanks.

Don't you read your own links before posting ?

It talks about how they CAN take on Russian tanks, not how they have done
The Russian tanks that your source referenced were T-26 tanks, in 1936, during the Spanish Civil War

Do read.

1] I believe an armed citizenry has some degree of deterrent to invasion, especially invasion to occupy.

I would disagree with that, as I know of no instance where that has ever been a factor in the consideration of an invading army
Indeed, the British seemed to be unconcerned by it, in 1814.

2] It is fair to debate to what the degree of deterrence it may be, even if it's believed to be minimal, but I maintain there is at least some component of it.

I concede that the existence of an armed citizenry might cause an invading army to account for it in its invasion plans
But not in the decision whether to invade or not.

Don't you read your own links before posting ?

It talks about how they CAN take on Russian tanks, not how they have done
The Russian tanks that your source referenced were T-26 tanks, in 1936, during the Spanish Civil War

Do read.

I've already read the article and realize they are not as effective against modern tanks. However, they are still valuable as anti-personel during critical times, thrown in open hatches, such as refueling. Restricting visibility, thrown at engine air intakes ect.

I've already read the article and realize they are not as effective against modern tanks. However, they are still valuable as anti-personel during critical times, such as refueling. Restricting visibility, thrown at engine air intakes ect.

No you said:
The Ukraines have had some success against tanks using such weapons.

I am saying that they absolutely have NOT.

And the link you provided to support you claim references Russian built tanks, during the Spanish Civil War 86 years ago !!!

I would disagree with that, as I know of no instance where that has ever been a factor in the consideration of an invading army
Indeed, the British seemed to be unconcerned by it, in 1814.

I concede that the existence of an armed citizenry might cause an invading army to account for it in its invasion plans
But not in the decision whether to invade or not.

Alright, fair enough.

I'm not going to beat this to death. We are dealing with something that is not easily proved, as we must be privy to others' motives in order to do so.

So, I'm going to simply disagree with you here.

--

Now what I will say, given my belief that there is at least some armed citizenry detergency, is it might be fair to debate whether the degree of deterrence (and with deference to yourself, I'll add, "if any"), is indeed commensurate with the additional hazards the prevalence of weapons in society may present?

But that's a whole 'nother facet to this discussion, and one I have no desire to debate! ;)

No you said:

I am saying that they absolutely have NOT.

And the link you provided to support you claim references Russian built tanks, during the Spanish Civil War 86 years ago !!!

If you actually read and understood the article, it was the history of the Molotov cocktail from the Spanish War though to Ukraine and its effectiveness in some situations.

In terms of invasion, I think the Oceans are indeed a deterrent. In terms of attack, not so much. I believe am armed citizenry is a deterrent component to an invasion and especially to an occupation. But it is fair to debate the degree of deterrence. To be honest, I really can't ascertain the degree of deterrence. I believe it likely matters little in deterring a missile attack, and may only be a moderate component in deterring an invasion. However, I do believe it would be a substantive deterrent to an occupation.
First, I'd say you present opinion and not much fact. Owning a firearm doesn't deter much, having the grit to face a far superior enemy after seeing a dozen hot headed patriots get turned into rather noxious ground meat is a rather rare commodity. Minor ambushes or nuisance random gunfire doesn't rattle the average Big city citizen, nor trained professionals.

The Boers were well known for being well armed. Didn't stop the British from invading. Americans were known for being well armed, again the British invaded. What caused the invasion against the Boers so rough??? They had been fighting Natives for decades. They were hardened to a tough and tumble life. However, when the British could get a tactical upper hand the Boers broke and fled not unlike the 'trained' American militia confronted by battle hardened British Regulars on the Bladensburg Plain and at our National Capital... :unsure:

Today the average never served 'patriot' is all for storming a non-military site, going back to the climate controlled hotel room and ordering room service (such patriotic fervor deserves such treats) But fighting in a realistic combat zone- low or high intensity- takes a bit more fiber and hardness... ✌️

Alright, fair enough.

I'm not going to beat this to death. We are dealing with something that is not easily proved, as we must be privy to others' motives in order to do so.

So, I'm going to simply disagree with you here.

OK, we'll just agree to disagree.

Now what I will say, given my belief that there is at least some armed citizenry detergency, is it might be fair to debate whether the degree of deterrence (and with deference to yourself, I'll add, "if any"), is indeed commensurate with the additional hazards the prevalence of weapons in society may present?

But that's a whole 'nother facet to this discussion, and one I have no desire to debate! ;)

Sorry, but in my mind whether the citizenry is armed or not has zero implications on whether a country invades another
If the prospect of facing armed citizens tilts the balance against invasion then there wasn't much appetite for invasion in the first place.

The Russians/Soviets were deterred in 1979 when invading Afghanistan
Neither was the USA deterred in 2003 when invading Iraq.

First, I'd say you present opinion and not much fact. Owning a firearm doesn't deter much, having the grit to face a far superior enemy after seeing a dozen hot headed patriots get turned into rather noxious ground meat is a rather rare commodity. Minor ambushes or nuisance random gunfire doesn't rattle the average Big city citizen, nor trained professionals.

The Boers were well known for being well armed. Didn't stop the British from invading. Americans were known for being well armed, again the British invaded. What caused the invasion against the Boers so rough??? They had been fighting Natives for decades. They were hardened to a tough and tumble life. However, when the British could get a tactical upper hand the Boers broke and fled not unlike the 'trained' American militia confronted by battle hardened British Regulars on the Bladensburg Plain and at our National Capital... :unsure:

Today the average never served 'patriot' is all for storming a non-military site, going back to the climate controlled hotel room and ordering room service (such patriotic fervor deserves such treats) But fighting in a realistic combat zone- low or high intensity- takes a bit more fiber and hardness... ✌️
We have 12 million Gulf War 1 and younger veterans.

So you think that all citizens that carry are veterans or that all veterans are gun owners ?

What if you eliminated all gun owners who are not physically fit or of military age ?

So you think that all citizens that carry are veterans or that all veterans are gun owners ?
No, but the point of "Today the average never served 'patriot' is all for storming a non-military site, going back to the climate controlled hotel room and ordering room service (such patriotic fervor deserves such treats) But fighting in a realistic combat zone- low or high intensity- takes a bit more fiber and hardness" seems to fail to acknowledge that there are quite a few trained and experienced citizens that might call themselves into service.
What if you eliminated all gun owners who are not physically fit or of military age ?
Feel free to calculate that number. It's not important. It's not how many "have nots" we have; it's how many "haves".

How many actually engaged in combat, stepped over still twitching bodies, or breathed in the 'sweet' smell of charred flesh??? How many were trained in infantry tactics, are still physically fit/capable??? 10% at the best???? Spread across the USofA that isn't a very big deterrent... :unsure:

GWI was 30 years ago, how many 50+ vets have still kept in fighting trim??? Being a hot shot on the local one-way range is a far cry from shoot n scoot guerrilla tactics. Decades of office work doesn't keep a man fit for combat duty... ✌️

OK, we'll just agree to disagree.

Ditto.

Sorry, but in my mind whether the citizenry is armed or not has zero implications on whether a country invades another
If the prospect of facing armed citizens tilts the balance against invasion then there wasn't much appetite for invasion in the first place.

The Russians/Soviets were deterred in 1979 when invading Afghanistan
Neither was the USA deterred in 2003 when invading Iraq.

Well my friend, you are consistent; and, I very much respect that.

Have a good one!

How many actually engaged in combat, stepped over still twitching bodies, or breathed in the 'sweet' smell of charred flesh??? How many were trained in infantry tactics, are still physically fit/capable??? 10% at the best???? Spread across the USofA that isn't a very big deterrent... :unsure:
No idea on any of that, but we can't simply write off civilians, who include combat veterans, as inexperienced and incapable.
GWI was 30 years ago, how many 50+ vets have still kept in fighting trim??? Being a hot shot on the local one-way range is a far cry from shoot n scoot guerrilla tactics. Decades of office work doesn't keep a man fit for combat duty... ✌️
How many does it take? Perhaps urban guerilla tactics can accept a wider (cough) selection of provocateurs.

Doesn't matter. Many have the training and experience to at least teach others, if not combat itself. To be the generals and leaders behind the scenes.

Revisionist history- not surprised... :rolleyes:

We had a great deal of outside help. France not only gave us large sums of money, weapons, and equipment, they engaged England around the world.

The concept of citizens with their firearms protecting our nation was slammed hard on the plains of Bladensburg and the Capital. Citizens with limited training, no practical experience stood little chance against well trained, fresh from defeating Napoleon, British troops in 1814. It's the training that counts. Where our forces did well was an artillery duel at Baltimore Harbor and frontier militias with experience fighting the native tribes on the frontier. Hardened by primitive living, constant alert for raids, skirmishes- combined with supreme arrogance by the British gave Jackson his victory... :unsure:

If anyone thinks a suburban overweight used to climate control, three hot squares a day, never saw even a bad car wreck close up to see the gore, smell the unmistakable odor of death is going to standup to a professional, far better supported with heavy weaponry.... well, we'd have a modern day Bladensburg races... :(

Our Founding Fathers were very learned men- but they were men. Just like the men who rounded up all Japanese citizens during WWII, signed treaties with the Natives and turned a blind eye to the corruption by the political appointees who robbed the supplies that were supposed to go to the treaty Natives...

No, they had just survived a war with a super-power, and were of course very leery of their return. However they were also quick to suppress citizen rebellions over taxes, hang a few ringleaders. The background is very important... ✌️

Have you read the Second Amendment?

Did you happen to hear about the 50 or 60 years of insurgent resistance staged by Afghanistan's citizens as they toppled one empire and may have done the same to another?

You views on this are irrational.

No, but the point of "Today the average never served 'patriot' is all for storming a non-military site, going back to the climate controlled hotel room and ordering room service (such patriotic fervor deserves such treats) But fighting in a realistic combat zone- low or high intensity- takes a bit more fiber and hardness" seems to fail to acknowledge that there are quite a few trained and experienced citizens that might call themselves into service.

No argument there...a few of the J6 insurrection rioters were ex military/police, but the great majority weren't.

No argument there...a few of the J6 insurrection rioters were ex military/police, but the great majority weren't.
You have that in common, then. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,eh?

Back
Top Bottom