• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#23,579]Ukraine War Thread

There's apparently been testing for a version that can be fired from HIMARs.

Hmmm. I suppose if a radar illuminates a HIMARs HARM in flight, it might do the job. Does such radar have to lock onto the specific missile or does any radar emission within a larger field of view suffice for targeting?

I hope it does work...what nice addition to HIMAR time.

The truth they dare not speak:

Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent​

Robyn Dixon - Yesterday 1:00 PM​
When Yevgeny Chubarin told his mother he was joining the Russian army to fight against Ukraine, she cried and begged him not to go. But his exhilaration shone through. By May 15, he had an AK-47 and was on his way. The 24-year-old stone-factory worker was killed the next day.​
Stories like his are taboo in Russia, where the wrenching grief of many families is buried beneath the triumphant bombast of state media. The war is portrayed as an existential struggle for survival, against “Nazis” as well as NATO, and a virtual news blackout about the bloody toll underscores Kremlin anxiety about the durability of its manufactured support.​
Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
Yet some stories seep out. Vladimir Krot was a 59-year-old Soviet-trained pilot, a retired Afghan war veteran, who begged to serve in Ukraine. He kept asking despite repeated rejections and, in June, as casualties mounted, he finally was told “yes.” Krot died just days later, when his SU-25 jet went down during a training flight in southern Russia. He left behind a wife and 8-year-old daughter.​
The number of war dead is a state secret. It is a crime to question the invasion or criticize the military. Independent journalists who speak to bereaved relatives or cover funerals have been arrested and told that showing such “tears and suffering” is bad for public morale. Authorities have ordered some online memorial pages to be shut down.​

Attachments

• 1659913672311.png
    1659913672311.png
    68 bytes · Views: 0
Yes, I am frustrated, and have been so even before the war started -- truth be told I was frustrated in 2014 when the US refused to supply anymore than MRE's and helmets so as to not "provoke" Putin.

But sitting here in the US, a 71 year with little power to contribute, and zero political influence makes the subject one of endless vexation. All the more so when a friend or two of my own political leanings doesn't get it.

I'm a poor man's version of Shawn Penn, emotionally engaged but utterly ineffectual.
Are you providing any monetary aid via contributions? I am doing so via Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) in Ukraine. At least that is something.

Approx 19 miles of bridge (IIRC). Can't protect that
That's a big target. Our Navy Seals would love the challenge of placing charges on a big sweet target like that.

Ukrainian cat?

Yes I did sometime ago. It is time to do so again.
Me too! That said they say to be careful to vet who you donate too. Some scams out there or charities with excessive overhead. I'm confident with Doctors Without Borders.
I recently saw an old movie that had Peter the Great leading a column of these.

Yep that's exactly what I saw.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Interesting and very informative. Thank you! I think the Swedish army industry works slightly different due to us having been neutral and our defense was reliant on our weapon industry. In order to develop, adjust and produce weapons and equipment to what our country looks like and how an attack might look like , we needed to keep production up and expertise in place and in my view we have been somewhat aggressive in doing that . But I am no expert, so it is just a view.
I had a Danish Friend in college that said the really bad ass scary biker guys were from Sweden. Any truth to that? ;) He said one of them was making lewd comments about his mother and he was going to give him a piece of his mind, and his mother said, "Are you crazy? They'll kill you!"

Last edited:
That's a big target. Our Navy Seals would love the challenge of placing charges on a big sweet target like that.
Oh boy, that would have been my job, at the best 10% chance to survive. Once upon a time that would have given me a real kick.
I luckily grew out of.
When did your dad serve with the Green and was he ever deployed to Germany and when?

reminds me of my fathers unit, recon, they had BMW bikes with side cars, with a heavy machine gun mounted in the side car. My father got his 6th shot in one of them, blew 3 cm of his left upper leg bone away. Was captured by the Russians, escaped, with 3 of his boys a
few days later, all wounded, made it back to the German lines.
He spent 6 month in the hospital, had 4 weeks of R&D after that.
When he got back, one day he set with some guys in a halftrack swapping war stories and one of the guys not knowing who he was told the story of rescuing, picking up, of 4 German soldiers, how they broke down crying like little babies, all shot up rather bad. thats how my dad found out who rescued them and he was now their officer.
I always thought this was quiet an amazing story.

Oh boy, that would have been my job, at the best 10% chance to survive. Once upon a time that would have given me a real kick.
I luckily grew out of.
When did your dad serve with the Green and was he ever deployed to Germany and when?
My dad was in Special Forces the second half of his 20 years in the military which would have been about 1963 to 1973. Before that he was in Combat Engineers somewhere in Germany. I do know we were in Karlsruhe at some point before he was in Special Forces so maybe it was there? My dad met my mother in Germany. She's originally from a small town by the name of Alshiem which is close to Worms. While he was in Special Forces we were in Bad Tölz (maybe headquarters were in Lenggries?) until some time in the middle 60's until about 1968 when the entire 10th Special Forces moved back to the states at what is now the former Ft. Devens, Massachusetts. He was in Vietnam from 66 -67. Then redeployed in 1971 training battalions of Cambodians. He swears up and down they were Khmer Rouge but there is no official record of that.

I think the modern seals have some really cool toys to help them get to their objectives undetected. Still dangerous of course.

My dad was in Special Forces the second half of his 20 years in the military which would have been about 1963 to 1973. Before that he was in Combat Engineers somewhere in Germany. I do know we were in Karlsruhe at some point before he was in Special Forces so maybe it was there? My dad met my mother in Germany. She's originally from a small town by the name of Alshiem which is close to Worms. While he was in Special Forces we were in Bad Tölz (maybe headquarters were in Lenggries?) until some time in the middle 60's until about 1968 when the entire 10th Special Forces moved back to the states at what is now the former Ft. Devens, Massachusetts. He was in Vietnam from 66 -67. Then redeployed in 1971 training battalions of Cambodians. He swears up and down they were Khmer Rouge but there is no official record of that.

I think the modern seals have some really cool toys to help them get to their objectives undetected. Still dangerous of course.
Thanks for your answer. My outfit worked a lot with the Greens, as we called them, in the mid seventies, they had a lot to teach us, because of Vietnam.
My outfit was rather small and is now classified.

I made live long friends with the Greens I served with. Very good soldiers and first class individuals, the best of the best, except for Us, naturally.

Btw I found a Special Forces website and was looking for childhood friends that whose father's were also in Special Forces. I was treated very poorly by one of the admins that acted like some kind of big tough guy allegedly in Special Forces. My dad told me not to waste time there as for all we know they were mess hall cooks. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He's run into several people that claimed to have been in Special Forces that after questioning it was obvious they were not.

This and previous wars should provide a lesson to all Western states:

1 That is unacceptable when artillery is "the queen of war".

7) Start focusing on joint development with Asia, especially Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and Singapore. They have the technical know how and anti-Russian/Chinese interests to be become very important and more reliable suppliers.
Wow, sometimes you have more do's and dont's rules than a Chinaman. Your points are always well taken though.

BTW I'd always heard or read of artillery as being The God of War -- Mars notwithstanding -- earthly monarchs being not quite up to the celestial awesomeness of thunder, lightning; plus the power and might that visits destruction, if not devastation on mere mortals. And when the good guys do it as in Ukraine, it's righteousness.

As to US joint development with East Asia I'm afraid it's one sided and for several reasons, but mainly due to the steadily economically deteriorating CCP and its wholly owned and operated subsidiary the sterile PRC. The Japan constitution strictly limits military production other than for defense, and at only 1% of its enormous GDP. Japan can't get to the force strength that would make it into an aggressor, in which it has zero interest anyway given past experience.

The domestically produced T-10 battle tank is designed by Mitsubishi and produced by Japan Steel Works to include a 120mm barrel from Rheinmetall. Japan produces its own ships for its Sea Self Defense Force and its destroyers -- nothing bigger allowed -- have the US Aegis system. The two of Japan's four flattop ASW craft that are being converted to carriers of the F-35B are still classified as submarine "destroyers" along with the two remaining helo ASW flattops that haven't been changed. More than half of Japan's "destroyers" are in fact cruisers, some light others heavy. AF is full of F-15, F-16 and now 141 of F-35 both A & B. So while Japan can get cute about its modest yet strong Self Defense Force, it continues to remain self constrained by public opinion.

I spent two civilian years in South Korea and everything military is about and for NK, to include its production of weapons and all support systems. Seoul recently agreed to a rare export of its K2 main battle tank and K9 howitzers but not before they're fully paid for and fully replaced. Taiwan that's fully dependent on its own military hardware & personnel relies entirely on the US to provide the most advanced weapons platforms. Trump for instance agreed to manufacture a division of Abrams MBT (104 of 'em) to accompany their existing tank force of M-60 MBT. Taipei has recently begun its own sorely overdue submarine construction program because Beijing won't let anyone else build 'em. Taiwan is not sending any of their armaments anywhere as it continues to beef up its defense budget.

US staunch Strategic Partner Singapore is a service economy that imports its paper clips from Thailand and its cars from Japan. It btw is stuck with German Leopard 2 stinkers that it bought from Berlin in a strategic decision, ie, not spit in Beijing's tender face by buying from Japan or the USA. Singapore AF though is exclusively the F-35 Lightning II, F-15 Strike Eagle and the F-16 Fighting Falcon Viper. And, get this, for 20 years Singapore has most of its AF on Taiwan where the free and open western Pacific skies allow 'em to train without restriction, to include with Taiwan AF of course that is also full of F-16s and stuff. CCP Boyz in Beijing holler red faced flapping their arms jumping up and down a couple of times a year so Singapore just buys more good news fortune cookies from 'em. A lot of bright young Hongkongers have gone to Singapore where the language -- as in HKG -- is Cantonese, not Beijing mandarin, Cantonese being used in HKG outside of school and work. Ye Olde Canton, in the South where I spent all my 10 years in China. The culture in the North of China is just absolutely dreadful.

A lot of bright young Hongkongers have gone to Singapore where the language -- as in HKG -- is Cantonese, not Beijing mandarin, Cantonese being used in HKG outside of school and work. Ye Olde Canton, in the South where I spent all my 10 years in China. The culture in the North of China is just absolutely dreadful.
Do you mind disclosing what Asian languages you speak? What foreign languages in general? This is always a subject that interests me.

Back
Top Bottom