• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#23,579]Ukraine War Thread

I do not know how to take this bit of news.

Unwilling soldiers are unwilling... and dangerous.
Russia seems to do ok with them. Not stellar, but ok. I believe the UAF does a better job at training and equipping their troops.

This is outstanding NEWS.

I love the Repo bill, set a good example for the rest of the world.

The Ukraine will not fall.

The Russian asset seizure bill passed too.

Thought this might be of interest.

Explaining Washington’s REPO Act that could kick-start the confiscation of frozen Russian assets
By Ash’s estimation, there are some $320 billion in frozen CBR assets around the world. The total is close to $400 billion when counting assets belonging to Russian individuals, including oligarchs.

The vast majority are in Europe, particularly Belgium, with the Brussels-based company Euroclear holding some $192 billion in Russian assets.

The U.S. bill emphasizes that repurposing the assets should be a multilateral effort alongside the G7 nations, EU, Australia, and other countries where they are located.

According to a report from the Kyiv School of Economics (KSE), the act's wording suggests that Washington won’t go ahead without similar decisions from its international allies.

“The REPO Act creates an opportunity for the Biden administration to press Europeans to use the assets of the Russian government to help Ukraine survive economically,” Ambassador Robert Zoellick told the Atlantic Council.

While Ash doesn’t believe the act alone will sway the EU, he does believe the bloc will be forced to follow suit if Biden goes ahead and confiscates the assets.

russian propaganda like frozen orange juice has concentrated its ridiculousness lately.

Purely anecdotal, but I hear the following more often than usual: westerners as Satanists; Solovyov et. al. talking about which European lands they would like to seize; Odesa has always been russian; Crimea has always been russian; and vague promises about retaliation for the U.S. bill about seizing russian assets that will make America filled with regret for centuries--nay, millenia!

But oddly, the nuclear threats have dissipated.

It's just one person's opinion, but imo the disappointed surprise at the passage of Ukrainian aid is palpable, and currently the propaganda is recycling old tropes in a disorganized fashion until it gets its new themes from putin.

russian propaganda often does this. Some event surprises russia, and its propaganda soon thereafter sounds scattered and inconsistent. But after a few days pass, a viewer can move from one channel to the next comfortable with the knowledge that they will hear the same themes, even with identical phraseology, no matter which channel they land on.

OK fine, but why did we not keep it secret? Do we need to keep advertising to Putin we are getting deeper into this war with more advanced equipment?

U.S. Secretly Shipped New Long-Range Missiles to Ukraine​

Ukrainian forces for the first time used a longer-range version of weapons known as ATACMS, striking an airfield in Crimea and Russian troops in southeastern Ukraine.

OK fine, but why did we not keep it secret? Do we need to keep advertising to Putin we are getting deeper into this war with more advanced equipment?
I hate the telegraphing, too. It's hard to keep secrets in an open society.

>Why couldn't this be done two years ago, when so many good sons and daughters of Ukraine were still alive and we had a much, much better chance of defeating Russia's aggression?<

I've also asked the BIden administration this same question since early-2023. I never did receive a rational and sensible answer.

>This is going to cause the Russians to change a lot of their strategy and tactics.<

The Russians will be forced to relocate supply depots further away from the theaters.

>The Paveway IV—the latest in the Paveway series of bombs—converts unguided munitions, also known as "dumb bombs," into precision-guided weapons. They can use laser guidance or satellites to find their way to a target.<

They will work well with the F-16's. A 500 lb bomb will have the penetrating power of a 2000 lb bomb.

>A Washington Post analysis published in November identified 117 production lines in roughly 31 states and 71 cities where US workers were producing weapons systems for Ukraine — including California, Arizona, Alabama, and Texas. Time reported in February that US aid to Ukraine had created thousands of jobs across at least 38 states. While it's unclear exactly which cities and states will benefit from the latest foreign-aid funds, some candidates are more likely than others. In its analysis, The Washington Post pointed to cities such as York, Pennsylvania — where the British multinational aerospace, defense, and information-security company BAE Systems produces tactical vehicles — and Troy, Alabama — where Javelin anti-tank missiles are manufactured — as places that had produced weapons for Ukraine. Peoria, Illinois; Aiken, South Carolina; Elgin, Oklahoma; Niceville, Florida; and Endicott, New York were also mentioned. The defense company General Dynamics is set to open a new factory in June in the Dallas suburb of Mesquite to produce artillery casings. The factory, which is expected to employ 150 people when it opens, is set to benefit from foreign aid to Ukraine.<

shrinking-influence-of-marjorie-taylor-greene-.png

That's a thing I'm kinda iffy about. Not being an expert on military history, my gut reaction only counts for so much. But I'd think someone who fled and is brought back, then made to fight, is not going to be your best soldier.

What Ukraine needs to do is drop the aid, and what we need to do is immediately pass an additional 100b package just for Ukraine. **** range, give 'em everything.
Male populations of countries at war fall into 3 categories: Eager volunteers; Draft dodgers; A middle group, who hope not to be called up, but will serve, and in most cases honorably, if called. This middle group is often the largest.

A large part of America's WWII military were draftees. They fought hard, and in some cases then decided to become professional soldiers.

In 1968, I appeared at my induction center, at the invitation of my recruiter, not my Draft Board. However, I was not heartbroken when I failed the physical (blind as a bat).

Agreed: It makes no sense for Ukraine to be providing any governmental services to military age men who are abroad to avoid the draft.

Male populations of countries at war fall into 3 categories: Eager volunteers; Draft dodgers; A middle group, who hope not to be called up, but will serve, and in most cases honorably, if called. This middle group is often the largest.

A large part of America's WWII military were draftees. They fought hard, and in some cases then decided to become professional soldiers.

In 1968, I appeared at my induction center, at the invitation of my recruiter, not my Draft Board. However, I was not heartbroken when I failed the physical (blind as a bat).

Agreed: It makes no sense for Ukraine to be providing any governmental services to military age men who are abroad to avoid the draft.
Keep in mind the country was still recovering from the lingering effects of the depression at the time men were drafted into WWII. I think a lot of those men may have been happy to have 3 square meals a day and a paycheck to send home. And of course people back then were very patriotic.

O come on she wasn't that bad. She is far smarter than Trump and at least was qualified for the office.
Trump at least, was not a mass murderer, a la Waco. And before I get the normal liberal push back that she was just First Lady, I would point out that Slick Willie himself told us we were getting "two for the price of one". Also, Clinton Administration policy became substantially more "effeminate", when she abdicated, in order to move to NYC and run for Senate.

In 1992 I was rejected from joining the Air Force due arches in my feet being too high. The female doctor yelled at me in her office saying "WE DON'T WANT YOU!" No idea what that was all about. Maybe she wanted me to beg? Crazy thing is my dad was a Green Beret and has higher arches than I do, and had no issues with them. And I was varsity track and cross country in high school with no issues with my feet. Must have been a down time when the military was really picky on recruits.

My recruiters told me to try the ANG and the female doctor that did my physical there was just the opposite. Army doctor and several months pregnant. She didn't even check my feet and asked me if she thought she missed anything. I said no, and was on my way to Air Force Basic Training not long after that. Ironically my roommate in Tech School that was regular AF had flat feet. I ended up serving 6 years in a unit that was voted most outstanding guard unit in the country. Would have served longer but I was building a business. Our 122nd CAMS Ft. Wayne was like one big family. And we regularly kicks the regular's asses in weapons loading competitions on F-4's. After all many of us were veterans competing against kids.

Trump at least, was not a mass murderer, a la Waco. And before I get the normal liberal push back that she was just First Lady, I would point out that Slick Willie himself told us we were getting "two for the price of one". Also, Clinton Administration policy became substantially more "effeminate", when she abdicated, in order to move to NYC and run for Senate.
I wasn't crazy about her or Bill Clinton. Bill was a whorehound just like Trump. But you have to admit if there ever was a witch hunt it was the republicans going after the Clintons. They finally nailed Bill for lying under oath.

Wasn't it Janet Reno that mismanaged the WACO cluster****?

I do not know how to take this bit of news.

Unwilling soldiers are unwilling... and dangerous.
I don't think we have to make the assumption that this is necessarily unwilling. Ukraine has created a conundrum for men who have expired passports. They can't renew them unless they are in Ukraine. Poland is merely offering to help them get home.

Back
Top Bottom