• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ukraine Says Targeting Of Separatists' Building In Transdniester Was Provocation By Russia

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

The Ministry of State Security in the capital of Moldova's breakaway region of Transdniester has been hit by explosions that damaged the upper floors of its building, an attack that Ukraine said was a provocation organized by Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB). Officials from the breakaway region's Interior Ministry on April 25 said a grenade launcher hit the building in Tiraspol. The ministry said on Facebook that some of the building's windows were broken and that smoke poured from the structure. There has been no claim of responsibility for the incident and no reports of casualties. The Intelligence Directorate's statement said the building was damaged and windows were broken, but it said the incident came as no surprise to the leadership of the separatists. It quoted information in a letter dated April 22 from Vadym Shmalenko, secretary of the State Commission for Emergency Situations of the Transdniester region, to the head of the Kamensky district, Volodymyr Bychkov, about the need to prepare.

"That is, three days before the incident [separatist leaders] were already preparing for it and took care of the installation of a secure and comfortable bunker," the Intelligence Directorate said. According to the authors of the letter, the separatist leaders "should justify the war on the territory of Ukraine or involve the Transdniester region in hostilities either as a territory with a certain mobilization reserve or as a territory from which Russian troops can carry out attacks on Ukrainian territory," it said. It pointed out that on the same day the acting commander of Russia's Central Military District, Rustam Minnekayev said that Russian forces aimed to take full control of southern Ukraine, saying such a move would also open a land corridor to Transdniester. Moldova's Office for Reintegration Policy said it was "concerned," adding that it believes that the incident "is related to the creation of pretexts for the tension in the security situation in the Transdniester region, which is not controlled by the constitutional authorities." It called for calm and for "competent national institutions" to monitor the situation. The Moldovan Intelligence and Security Service (SIS) met in an emergency meeting in Chisinau.

You heard it from the Russian general last week. The Kremlin intends to invade Moldova next.

These engineered attacks on Russian allies are textbook FSB.

iu

You heard it from the Russian general last week. The Kremlin intends to invade Moldova next.

These engineered attacks on Russian allies are textbook FSB.

Gleiwitz radio station comes to mind.

My first thought when I heard about it was that it was the Trandniestrians themselves doing it to apply pressure on Moscow to actually come and "liberate" them. But when I heard about the weapons used I thought it's probably not the separatists, most likely the Russians since that's from their arsenal, though concievably Ukrainians could have (and probably have) captured these kinds of grenade launchers.

My first thought when I heard about it was that it was the Trandniestrians themselves doing it to apply pressure on Moscow to actually come and "liberate" them. But when I heard about the weapons used I thought it's probably not the separatists, most likely the Russians since that's from their arsenal, though concievably Ukrainians could have (and probably have) captured these kinds of grenade launchers.

Why would Ukraine "set-up" Moldova for a Russian invasion? That doesn't make any sense.

Why would Ukraine "set-up" Moldova for a Russian invasion? That doesn't make any sense.
That radio tower was probably spouting Russian propaganda, making it a legit military target.

Back
Top Bottom