• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ukraine Has Used Facial Recognition Tech To Notify Hundreds Of Russian Families Of Dead Soldiers: Report

Liberal7360

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This is a new and interesting development of war.

It's one way to get the truth out.

However, the parents of those soldiers don't deserve to be told about the death or capture of their child this way. It's very cruel. Those parents have nothing to do with this war and were probably lied to about this war. They deserve to know the truth but I don't know if this is a good way to do it.

However, the parents of those soldiers don't deserve to be told about the death or capture of their child this way. It's very cruel. Those parents have nothing to do with this war and were probably lied to about this war. They deserve to know the truth but I don't know if this is a good way to do it.

On the one side children and mothers missiled into pieces. On the other side parents learning of the death of their son from the enemy who killed him before their government acknowledged it.
I'm giving Ukraine a pass for trying to bring the cost of this war to Russian civilians without actually killing them.

I think this is a tough call, but I tend to agree with Liberal in his OP. I don't think the parents of the Russian soldiers--some of whom were probably against this war--deserve this kind of (no pun intended, seriously) "in-you-face" notification. It's as if the police, here in the U.S., were to notify loved ones of those killed in traffic accidents by sending them gruesome on-the-scene pictures. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my feelings right now.

This is an info war as much as it is physical. Russian people are heavily indoctrinated by state controlled media, so this is one way for Ukrainians to both help their cause and win the propaganda war. Im all for the free flow of information.

Wow. That's cold.

No, they don't. However, it is physiological warfare, and countering the lies the Putin is saying. Those soldiers didn't deserve to go sent to an ill conceived rich man's war to begin with.

.... while I absolutely agree that this is an indecent thing, it is very much pales in comparison to the cruelty of the Russian slaughter of Ukrainian citizens. Winning the information war is a big part of the Ukrainian defense. The families that sent their children off to the army have little idea of where their children or what they are doing. When bodies start coming home, the population will turn against the leadership. Although perhaps not effectively, that does not mean it should not be tried as winning hearts and minds is an important element of Ukrainian defense.

Actually, it isn’t. The Ukrainians have been doing this since the second week of the war.

Not that I’m brimming with sympathy for Russia, but if you want to turn an enemy country’s citizens against you, that’ll do it.

Well, some people feel that the Allies in World War II were morally wrong to carpet bomb German cities, killing many innocent German civilians.

The motive, I guess, was to break civilian morale.

I do not know whether it did.

So the Ukrainians are just doing what both sides do in a war: try to break civilian morale.

We are told that the Russians are preparing to kill thousands and thousands of more innocent Ukrainian civilians (including babies) in the next few weeks, so the Ukrainians cannot be blamed for trying to inflict pain on Russian civilians, too.

Back
Top Bottom