• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK warns gay travellers about US anti-LGBT laws

Higgins86

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
UK warns gay travellers about US anti-LGBT laws - BBC News

Interesting move but one that I support.

"The US is an extremely diverse society and attitudes toward LGBT people differ hugely across the country," a travel advisory from the UK reads.

It's crazy the difference between US states and it's something anyone travelling to the US should be aware of.

Yeah, in some states gays can't sue due to the fact that the government in those areas hasn't provided them servants.

Oh and yeah, the bathroom business, which of course isn't even a right to begin with.

In other news, looks like some places in the world are still killing people for being gay.

"The US is an extremely diverse society and attitudes toward LGBT people differ hugely across the country," a travel advisory from the UK reads.

It's crazy the difference between US states and it's something anyone travelling to the US should be aware of.

I've noticed from watching BBC shows that Americans are virtually always presented to the British public as arrogant assholes. I'd imagine that assumption shapes a lot of perception over there. This is a bunch of hoopla over nothing.

I've noticed from watching BBC shows that Americans are virtually always presented to the British public as arrogant assholes. I'd imagine that assumption shapes a lot of perception over there. This is a bunch of hoopla over nothing.

Well passing those laws does not exactly help that image either. It also is not only the UK, it is pretty much the rest of the world.

Yeah, in some states gays can't sue due to the fact that the government in those areas hasn't provided them servants.

Oh and yeah, the bathroom business, which of course isn't even a right to begin with.

In other news, looks like some places in the world are still killing people for being gay.

and we have travel warnings for those countries as well, much more severe travel warnings

Last edited:

Holding hands, or presenting in a way that could be considered somewhere on the queer spectrum in New York won't even get a passing glance, and doing the same in some towns and much of the South can get you chased down by a some "good ole' boys" in trucks. Wish I was kidding -- those are literal examples from my life.

No, it ain't the Congo, but it sure as hell isn't safe either. You can definitely get discriminated against or even assaulted simply for being LGBT in some parts of the country, and on rare occasion, even the places that are supposed to be safe -- I saw it happen a couple times in Minneapolis, supposedly the most LGBT-friendly city in America. A month or so before I left, there was an anti-gay hate shooting. In a gay bar. In the most gay-friendly city in America.

It's something they deserve to know. Not too many places left in the developed world that are as bad as some parts of America. And now, of course, some states are even trying to basically legalize discrimination against the LGBT.

LGBT people from elsewhere in the developed world who expect America to be like what they're used to could be very disappointed, depending where they land, and consequently get hurt. They deserve to know that so they can look up where they're landing and keep themselves safe.

Humiliating? Yeah. But also true. If America doesn't want to be humiliated anymore, they should stop doing things that are worthy of feeling humiliated about rather than expecting other countries to simply not warn their citizens of the risks.

Last edited:
and we have travel warnings for those countries as well, much severe travel warnings

It's just dumb. No one has a right to not be denied trade and no one has a right to use someone else's restroom. This whole issue is basically we think businesses shouldn't have their right to property and labor protected. You want to know why I don't listen to your side? Because your sides case is just entitled bull****.

You mean the land that smells of human piss and dog **** is warning folks about bathrooms they don't use anyway?

Holding hands, or presenting in a way that could be considered somewhere on the queer spectrum in New York won't even get a passing glance, and doing the same in some towns and much of the South can get you chased down by a some "good ole' boys" in trucks. Wish I was kidding -- those are literal examples from my life.

No, it ain't the Congo, but it sure as hell isn't safe either. You can definitely get assaulted simply for being LGBT in some parts of the country (and on rare occasion, even the places that are supposed to be safe -- I saw it happen a couple times in Minneapolis, supposedly the most LGBT-friendly city in America). It's something they deserve to know. Not too many places left in the developed world that are as bad as some parts of America. And now, of course, some states are even trying to basically legalize discrimination against the LGBT.

LGBT people from elsewhere in the developed world who expect America to be like what they're used to could be very disappointed, depending where they land, and consequently get hurt. They deserve to know that so they can look up where they're landing and keep themselves safe.

Humiliating? Yeah. But also true. If America doesn't want to be humiliated anymore, they should stop doing things that are worthy of feeling humiliated about rather than expecting other countries to simply not warn their citizens of the risks.

Who is 'humiliated' by what some leftist, British boobs think?

I didn't know that warning people about the discrimination that objectively happens and that some are objectively trying to codify into law was "leftist." Is reality "leftist" to you?

Some of the folks interviewed for the article, apparently. As they should be.

It's just dumb. No one has a right to not be denied trade and no one has a right to use someone else's restroom. This whole issue is basically we think businesses shouldn't have their right to property and labor protected. You want to know why I don't listen to your side? Because your sides case is just entitled bull****.

like Jim Crow laws?

Who even cares what the British think? Do people go around thinking, gosh, I sure hope the British accept my actions? Nope.

Talk about a slow news day. Pointing out that attitudes about lgbt's in the US is "diverse" can barely constitute as a warning. At worst it can be called a "friendly reminder." Here's what a warning looks like, on the UK's page on Saudi Arabia:

"Homosexual acts and adultery are illegal and can be subject to severe sanctions. "

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/saudi-arabia/local-laws-and-customs

Or Nigeria...

"Homosexuality is generally viewed as unacceptable in Nigeria. The ‘Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Bill’ allows lengthy prison sentences for those entering into a same sex marriage, those witnessing, aiding or abetting a same sex marriage, the operation and support to gay clubs, societies and organisations and the public display of same sex relationships."

Or Uganda...

"Homosexual activity is illegal and not tolerated in Uganda’s conservative society. Public displays of homosexuality like kissing in public places could lead to arrest and imprisonment. An Anti-Homosexuality Act was signed into law in early 2014 which increased penalties and created new criminal offences. However it was overturned a few months later."

I'd say the UK's travel advisory regarding the US, when looked at in perspective, is perfectly reasonable.

like Jim Crow laws?

Jim Crow laws? :lamo You mean laws that forced discrimination and didn't allow business to decide? Nice try there buddy.

It is a large country and with a fine breadth of cultural, ethical and ethnic diversity. This is often forgotten by oldworlders that think American food is defined by McDonald's.

Those conditions is precisely what they're used to. Government is everywhere and holds their hands in everything.

I didn't know that warning people about the discrimination that objectively happens and that some are objectively trying to codify into law was "leftist." Is reality "leftist" to you?

Some of the folks interviewed for the article, apparently. As they should be.

The Brits are leftists, all of Europe is. Sorry to have to be the one to break the news to you. And are you saying there is no discrimination in Europe? Do the Brits also issue travel warnings to blacks ad jews and arabs and every other minority group about potential discrimination here in the US? Or is it just to the victim group of the day? And I bet you don't feel a bit of 'humiliation' about the way you discriminate against the evil 1%. Way too much hypocrisy here to deal with.

The Brits are leftists, all of Europe is. Sorry to have to be the one to break the news to you. And are you saying there is no discrimination in Europe? Do the Brits also issue travel warnings to blacks ad jews and arabs and every other minority group about potential discrimination here in the US? Or is it just to the victim group of the day? And I bet you don't feel a bit of 'humiliation' about the way you discriminate against the evil 1%. Way too much hypocrisy here to deal with.

Comparitively, I suppose. So?

Nope, I'm not saying that. I am saying, however, that most LGBT Western Europeans don't live with or expect the level of discrimination they could experience in America, so it is only fair to warn them.

America isn't trying to pass laws to allow those other groups of people to be attacked with impunity, now is it.

In what way do I discriminate against "the one percent"? I've never proposed they should be denied jobs or service or even recourse against attackers or anything of the sort that anti-gay Americans have.

Again, do you just use "leftist" as a synonym for "reality"?

The US has the gay capitals of the world.... this is just Anti-American silliness.

Well passing those laws does not exactly help that image either.

....no, the Media overreaction, hyperventilation, and distortions about those laws doesn't help the image. The laws themselves are generally benign.

It also is not only the UK, it is pretty much the rest of the world.

I think you are confusing "the west" with "the rest of the world".

And the UK has travel warnings in place for their gay citizens in those countries. As for using the bathroom "not being a right," are you ****ing serious? Are you really trying to stand by your "Libertarian" label while claiming that it is OK for the government to regulate who is qualified to use which bathroom?

....no, the Media overreaction, hyperventilation, and distortions about those laws doesn't help the image. The laws themselves are generally benign.

You forgot to add "...to those the laws do not effect."

You forgot to add "...to those the laws do not effect."

In general. You aren't harmed by an inability to forcibly take other people's stuff.

It is a large country and with a fine breadth of cultural, ethical and ethnic diversity. This is often forgotten by oldworlders that think American food is defined by McDonald's.

Aware of that, lived their for 4 years ;)

One could make the argument that laws permitting "whites only" bathrooms were generally, and similarly, benign.

Back
Top Bottom