• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK public goes wild with ideas for spending cuts

kaya'08

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
As Britain's government decides how to make the toughest spending cuts in decades, it has asked the public for help. The result? Sell off the Queen's swans. Make lawmakers work for free. Force prison inmates to generate cheap power on the treadmill.

A list of wild ideas on how to save money - proposals that Treasury chief George Osborne insists will be seriously considered as he draws up a five-year austerity plan.

UK public goes wild with ideas for spending cuts - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

As Britain's government decides how to make the toughest spending cuts in decades, it has asked the public for help. The result? Sell off the Queen's swans. Make lawmakers work for free. Force prison inmates to generate cheap power on the treadmill.

A list of wild ideas on how to save money - proposals that Treasury chief George Osborne insists will be seriously considered as he draws up a five-year austerity plan.

UK public goes wild with ideas for spending cuts - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

Yes, I was somewhat concerned when I heard I think Osborne the other day saying they were going to take the most popular ones! God help us, I thought.

I've said it before but I wonder where cutting the ring-fenced foreign aid budget comes in? It's certainly avoided the scythe so far and actually guaranteed an increase. I wonder how many hospitals can stay open if that £8 billion is diverted?

However many, it's far better than being used to pay for Indian nuclear facilities!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsaDsDGQmIM

http://www.debatepolitics.com/europ...ficit-lower-than-expected.html#post1058931872

Tough, for balance, one good thing I have seen is the abolition of income tax for the lowest paid. However, I can't help thinking that may be cancelled out by things like the 50% rise in wheat costs, other sky-high taxes and the cost of living.

Nevertheless: Budget 2010: Income tax removed for lowest paid | UK news | The Guardian

Last edited:
At least they asked the public. That's more than we ever seem to get here in Canada.

At least they asked the public. That's more than we ever seem to get here in Canada.

Err... that is where they got the idea from lol. Canada did it a few years back.

Err... that is where they got the idea from lol. Canada did it a few years back.

I mustn't have been in the country!

What Orion said concerns me - as well as some of the idiot ideas that were always going to come from such public consultation. We've supposedly "borrowed" this idea from Canada but the whole thing smells remarkably like the petition website that Tony Blair's Govt set up a few years ago.

All the good ideas got drowned out by the hack ideas and petitions.

Back
Top Bottom