• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK Proposes All Paychecks Go to the State First

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
News Headlines

The UK's tax collection agency is putting forth a proposal that all employers send employee paychecks to the government, after which the government would deduct what it deems as the appropriate tax and pay the employees by bank transfer.

The proposal by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) stresses the need for employers to provide real-time information to the government so that it can monitor all payments and make a better assessment of whether the correct tax is being paid.

Currently employers withhold tax and pay the government, providing information at the end of the year, a system know as Pay as You Earn (PAYE). There is no option for those employees to refuse withholding and individually file a tax return at the end of the year.

If the real-time information plan works, it further proposes that employers hand over employee salaries to the government first.

Oh dear, I think I hear some people here in the USA thinking this is a good idea...

Are you sure this is a UK story. It sounds a lot like it could have come from one of either the Trecta of Doom Obama, Pelosi, Reid of one of the advisers, or Czars the Amateur in Chief has on his staff.

And I think if the people of the UK don't start their own version of the Tea Party of the French Revolution they will get what they deserve and that would not be a good thing for us either because i really can see it coming to that if we don't throw the bums out in Nov.

And I mean Rinos and and all Liberals.

If this is a big concern for them they really need to alter the way they maintain records and so forth.

If this is a big concern for them they really need to alter the way they maintain records and so forth.

I think it's just plain frightening that anyone would consider this A, and B that there aren't people in the streets saying OH HELL NO.

What the hell is wrong with the Brits anyway?

I think it's just plain frightening that anyone would consider this A, and B that there aren't people in the streets saying OH HELL NO.

Somebody is being ridiculous. It's a proposal. Nothing more. Nothing less. Thousands of those are made every year. Not even 5% of proposals make it to law in countries like Canada or the UK. Chill. Not everything needs a gag reflex. And why do you care anyways? Do you live in England or something? ;)

What the hell is wrong with the Brits anyway?

Oh, they're bitching about it - I've seen it.

Somebody is being ridiculous. It's a proposal. Nothing more. Nothing less. Thousands of those are made every year. Not even 5% of proposals make it to law in countries like Canada or the UK. Chill. Not everything needs a gag reflex. And why do you care anyways? Do you live in England or something? ;)

So, how do you feel about this proposal?

Last edited:
Sounds fine with me, it sickens me that civilians can be artful with paying their taxes to begin with.

Sounds fine with me, it sickens me that civilians can be artful with paying their taxes to begin with.

You would trust the government with your paycheck? There's no way that would get cocked up. Right?

You would trust the government with your paycheck? There's no way that would get cocked up. Right?
I trust the government more than I trust people to use freedom responsibly, and not to evade their civic duty.

That isn't saying much, but still.

You'd be much better at this game you play if you weren't so... blatantly obvious what you're doing. Just sayin'.

You'd be much better at this game you play if you weren't so... blatantly obvious what you're doing. Just sayin'.
Not trying to ruffle your feathers, I'm just saying that tax evasion is serious, and I'm glad to see something being done to tighten the screws.

So, how do you feel about this proposal?

I don't care? I'm not an English citizen. Last time I checked I was still an American.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom