• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK PM: Multiculturalism has failed

reefedjib

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Now we're talking! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!

Combined with a new diplomatic approach to the Middle East and North Africa, European countries (and America) can stop the hypocrisy and reconnect our values with our rhetoric. I think this would go a long way to integrating liberal values with immigrant populations.

UK PM: Multiculturalism has failed

State multiculturalism" has failed and left young Muslims vulnerable to radicalisation, David Cameron, the British prime minister, has said, arguing for a more active policy to heal divisions and promote Western values.

Cameron, in a speech to a security conference in Munich on Saturday, said that Britain and other European nations needed to "wake up to what is happening in our countries" as well as tackling terrorism through military operations overseas.

"Under the doctrine of state multiculturalism, we have encouraged different cultures to live separate lives, apart from each other and the mainstream," Cameron said.

"We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong ... all this leaves some young Muslims feeling rootless.

"We've even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run completely counter to our values.

"It is time to turn the page on the failed policies of the past."

His comments echo those made by Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, last year and reflect a push by many European governments to try to better integrate immigrants, given persistent domestic tensions between different cultures.

Some members of Cameron's Conservative party, activists in right-wing movements and some voters believe that Britain has become a safe haven for people with anti-Western political views.

Others argue this tolerant approach is the lifeblood of any open and thriving democracy, fearing a crackdown on civil liberties would undermine the kind of society the government is seeking to establish.

Cameron said it was time to replace Britain's "passive tolerance" with an "active, muscular liberalism" to send a message that life in Britain revolves around certain key values such as freedom of speech, equal rights and the rule of law.

"A passively tolerant society ... stands neutral between different values," he said.

"A genuinely liberal country does much more. It believes in certain values and actively promotes them."

Wondering what values he's talking about.

All I can say is that he has now opened Pandora's Box and he'd better have a bloody good plan for dealing with it.

All I can say is that he has now opened Pandora's Box and he'd better have a bloody good plan for dealing with it.

Gotta fight for freedom and you gotta fight to keep your freedom. Blood may have to be shed.

Cameron said it. Merkel said it and Jack Straw has said it.

The country is currently rife with Islamic extremism and we have lunatic anti-white libtards banging on about blanket 'racism' being to blame when people from ethnic minorities foul up, get locked up or get knocked out. And the politically correct system of competing value systems without allowance for criticism (except against the traditional native stuff) has allowed a militant pressure cooker environment in the worst case scenarios.

However, despite the engineering experiment by successive waves of political masters, you can still bet that nothing will actually get done about it.

Imo multiculturalism in America operates at several different levels. Imo the most salient fact about multiculturalism is that it has created separate identities and made political unity impossible. The lack of political unity is one cause of political paralysis and decline.

Cameron said it. Merkel said it and Jack Straw has said it.

The country is currently rife with Islamic extremism and we have lunatic anti-white libtards banging on about blanket 'racism' being to blame when people from ethnic minorities foul up, get locked up or get knocked out. And the politically correct system of competing value systems without allowance for criticism (except against the traditional native stuff) has allowed a militant pressure cooker environment in the worst case scenarios.

However, despite the engineering experiment by successive waves of political masters, you can still bet that nothing will actually get done about it.

Frankly, if Cameron has gone public with this to win votes and does nothing or has no plan he will get everything he deserves. I wait expectantly for his plan.

Frankly, terrorism has nothing to do with religion, it's to do with politics. That's not me saying it, it's the FBI.

At the 12th and final public hearing of the 9/11 commission on 16 June, 2004, in Washington DC, a phalanx of senior law-enforcement and intelligence officials from the US government arrived to offer their testimonies. "You've looked [at] and examined the lives of these people as closely as anybody ... What have you found out about why these men did what they did?" asked Lee Hamilton, the former congressman and vice-chair of the commission. "What motivated them to do it?"

The answers to these questions were provided by supervisory special agent James Fitzgerald of the FBI. "I believe they feel a sense of outrage against the United States", he said. "They identify with the Palestinian problem, they identify with people who oppose repressive regimes and I believe they tend to focus their anger on the United States."

No mention of religion. No mention of Islam. No mention of virgins in heaven, 72 or otherwise. For the lead investigators into the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, politics, not faith, was the key motivating factor. Terrorism, as even that notorious Islamist-baiter Martin Amis once conceded, "is political communication by other means".
The wrong kind of intervention | Mehdi Hasan | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Imo multiculturalism in America operates at several different levels. Imo the most salient fact about multiculturalism is that it has created separate identities and made political unity impossible. The lack of political unity is one cause of political paralysis and decline.

The People's Unity Party thanks you for your support, citizen. No doubt you will be joining us on our field trip to China, so that you might learn more about unity from one of the largest and most politically unified nations on the planet.

Multiculturalism leads to a lack of national identity, sense of place and history and split loyalties. Norman Tebbit's 'cricket test' wasn't as laughable as the smartarse TV comics made it sound.

Not sure if I agree wholly with what Cameron said but he does have some very good points.

Fascinating. I did not expect this. Ironically in the one particular issue he raised 'forced marriages', Scottish Muslims have themselves been upset at the low priority Scotland has put on this issue
"The issue of forced and incompatible marriages has been virtually ignored by Scottish local authorities and the Scottish Executive, and we call upon Cosla and First Minister Jack McConnell to redress this issue without delay.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Forced marriages causing concern

I am not impressed. However I think it does give pause for concern as it clearly is for European viewing. You would need to take each bit and look at it and argue to see that it just seems to be a lot of really not very much. An example. He asks
Would you advocate inaction if Christian fundamentalists who believe Muslims are the enemy were leading prayer groups in prison?

Now as I understand it a great deal of work has gone on in prisons to try and get good Imans in to properly instruct people interested in Islam particularly in order to offset the unfortunate reality that Muslims particularly ethnic previously non religious Muslims who find themselves in jail are extremely vulnerable to extremists grooming them. This is known. Already everything which can be done is being done to stop it. So I think what he is saying is a bit of hot air.

Anyways I went to the BBC and found a little of his speech and this reply BBC News - Muslims4Uk says Cameron speech is 'patronising' and at the same time I came upon this Scottish Muslim who is apparently a member of the EDL BBC News - Muslim member of the English Defence League on demo. OK off topic but it had me laughing and I could not resist.

I do not see this speech as offering any positive and productive solutions.

Last edited:
The People's Unity Party thanks you for your support, citizen. No doubt you will be joining us on our field trip to China, so that you might learn more about unity from one of the largest and most politically unified nations on the planet.

Comrade, I assume you are aware that my wife is Chinese, born in Guangdong Province. My father in law's heroism at the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir led to his induction into the Chinese Communist Party. Life was good.

But he made the mistake of siding with the wrong faction. He was a Capitalist Roader. The entire family was arrested during the Cultural Revolution. He and his wife were sent to separate reeducation camps. He was beaten to death and she died of a broken heart.

The family was smashed and scattered to the four corners of the country. My wife was ripped from the green fields of Guangdong and spent the next seven years clawing out an existence on a collective farm on the barren steppes of Inner Mongolia.

Some of my wife's relatives are still members of the Party, others belong to the People's Liberation Army. Do not tell me about China, Han unity, or the Chinese Communist Party.

Oh by the way, Gung Hay Fat Choy...Happy New Year.

In the great sweep of time and history you are correct. But we live in a moment in time in which the exception is the rule.

Mind, as we've explored, Islam was created as a violent political system with religious dressings. However, by happy accident a majority of Muslims here have grown up with only the dressings. (And even then with the 'slaughter the unbelievers' tassel and the 'have the unbelievers beaten and made to pay the jizya' gusset cut out.)

Last edited:
Mind, as we've explored, Islam was created as a violent political system with religious dressings. However, by happy accident a majority of Muslims here have grown up with only the dressings. (And even then with the 'slaughter the unbelievers' tassel and the 'have the unbelievers beaten and made to pay the jizya' gusset cut out.)

You folks in Britain get wild eyed fuzzy wuzzy ignorant bearded fanatics as immigrants. America has Muslims like Fouad Ajami, Zalmay Khalilizad, and Zuhdi Jasser. Generally speaking we get giants and Europeans get pygmies. There is a world of difference.

We find out about American Muslim terrorists from American Muslims. Muslims in Britain keep their mouths shut.

And yes I know all about Anwar al Awlaki, the American who is the greatest terrorist in the world. He is the product of multiculturalism gone wrong.

You folks in Britain get wild eyed fuzzy wuzzy ignorant bearded fanatics as immigrants. America has Muslims like Fouad Ajami, Zalmay Khalilizad, and Zuhdi Jasser. Generally speaking we get giants and Europeans get pygmies. There is a world of difference.

We find out about American Muslim terrorists from American Muslims. Muslims in Britain keep their mouths shut.

And yes I know all about Anwar al Awlaki, the American who is the greatest terrorist in the world. He is the product of multiculturalism gone wrong.

Albert, your ignorance of British Moslems is encyclopaedic. Given the depths of that ignorance, I don't suppose the names Salman Rushdie, Amir Khan, Tariq Ali, Hanif Kureishi, Yasmin Alibhai Brown, Monica Ali, Nasser Hussein, Art Malik, Shahid Malik, Shappi Khorsandi or Mo Farrar mean anything to you, but you may only toss around terms like 'pygmies' if you can prove you've achieved half of what any one of these proud Brits have achieved.

Albert, your ignorance of British Moslems is encyclopaedic. Given the depths of that ignorance, I don't suppose the names Salman Rushdie, Amir Khan, Tariq Ali, Hanif Kureishi, Yasmin Alibhai Brown, Monica Ali, Nasser Hussein, Art Malik, Shahid Malik, Shappi Khorsandi or Mo Farrar mean anything to you, but you may only toss around terms like 'pygmies' if you can prove you've achieved half of what any one of these proud Brits have achieved.

Maybe you're right. But am I wrong about the fact that Britain does not receive much actionable intelligence from British Muslims? If so, let's have the links por favor.

Back
Top Bottom