• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK Parliament overwhelmingly rejects May's Brexit deal

Jredbaron96

Gen 4:10
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...rexit-deal-with-eu/ar-BBSgjjh?ocid=spartandhp

LONDON (AP) — British lawmakers on Tuesday overwhelmingly rejected Prime Minister Theresa May's divorce deal with the European Union, plunging the Brexit process into chaos. The 432-202 vote in the House of Commons was widely expected but still devastating for May, whose fragile leadership is now under siege.Lawmakers finally got their chance to say yes or no to May's deal after more than two years of political upheaval — and said no. It was the biggest defeat for a government in the House of Commons in more than a century.

The UK's exit from Brexit is supposed to occur in 73 days, but thus far a deal which will preserve the UK's existing trade deals and solidify it's future relationship with the EU is nowhere to be found. Without a deal going forward, the UK faces economic chaos come March 29th as the UK will have to re-negotiate it's long standing economic ties to Europe.

Last edited:
This train wreck... err, Brexit deal... is going to be a political fiasco for them for years to come.

Vote of no confidence called on the government. At the very least lets use this to get May out of 10, she is not a leader and had no business ever being our PM.

WOW!!! That is one hell of a public repudiation!!!!!

How can May survive this?

That's the nice thing about the parliamentary system: a vote of no confidence can force the prime minister to leave.

If we had a parliamentary system, we would not be experiencing the unpleasantness that currently exists.

"Prime Minister" Donald J. Trump would receive either a vote of confidence or no confidence.

All clean and neat.

Prime Minister May should really resign. Although it was not an official vote of confidence, it amounted to the same thing.

The recent video clips of the UK Parliament in session, make the US model look civil by comparison...

~ Prime Minister May should really resign. Although it was not an official vote of confidence, it amounted to the same thing.

Absolutely agree. Brexit cut across political lines and she failed right up till the very last moment to appeal to Brexit supporting MPs in other parties. I hate the Brexit result but I am a democrat and believe we should enact the decision made by the people in 2016. If she had reached out beyond her party she might have had a better night.

Now, with a huge defeat - the biggest EVER in political history, she wants to soldier on. She also finally reached out to Brexit supporters in other parties to work together but it's too late for that. To me, any self respecting PM who loses a vote on their biggest policy must resign or call a general election to seek a new mandate from the people.

She will go down as our worst PM since Neville Chamberlain.

Considering that Brexit was mostly fueled by right wing hate. I think this is the best option...

It’s an absolute disaster regardless of what anyone thinks of the motives behind Brexit. We’ll see how many people think it’s the best option in two months time when the UK is automatically and unceremoniously booted from the EU without any trade agreements, rights of travel, etc.

Vote of no confidence called on the government. At the very least lets use this to get May out of 10, she is not a leader and had no business ever being our PM.

She will survive it most likely as the DUP will back her. That means a few rebels are needed to kick her out and I doubt that any Tories would want to go the polls at this moment.

Is it too much to hope that persons in Democraticish countries will learn the perils of petulant politics?

I hate the Brexit result but I am a democrat and believe we should enact the decision made by the people in 2016.

Wow!

I wish that we here in the Colonies had more fair-minded voters like you: A gracious loser.

She will survive it most likely as the DUP will back her. That means a few rebels are needed to kick her out and I doubt that any Tories would want to go the polls at this moment.

Sad but true! DUP are a disgrace.

Sad but true! DUP are a disgrace.

They sure are.

What do you think the chances are of a united Ireland happening within the next 5 years?

Absolutely agree. Brexit cut across political lines and she failed right up till the very last moment to appeal to Brexit supporting MPs in other parties. I hate the Brexit result but I am a democrat and believe we should enact the decision made by the people in 2016. If she had reached out beyond her party she might have had a better night.

Now, with a huge defeat - the biggest EVER in political history, she wants to soldier on. She also finally reached out to Brexit supporters in other parties to work together but it's too late for that. To me, any self respecting PM who loses a vote on their biggest policy must resign or call a general election to seek a new mandate from the people.

Gotta love those Tories eh?

He's in the minority over here.

Is he ever!!!

(As an American, I was sooooooooo disappointed in the behavior of a certain female politician who even to this day continues to carp at her winning opponent. What a horrible example to set for our youth!)

c14e6103607553665f9b8c91107c2bbdb0dd723fc6b3a686cd392aeed15350f8.jpg

Gotta love those Tories eh?

Unfortunately, I tend to vote Conservative more often than not. The EU has been toxic to us for 45+ years because UK politicians (originally the Conservative party) mis-sold our membership of the EEC as simply a trading bloc.
In all that time, no anti-EEC politician ever really addressed that "original sin."

Along with Cameron. History will not be kind to David Cameron. He will be remembered as the British Prime Minister who made the worst move of any Prime Minister in the 21st Century.

They're all (Tories) going to voyte for her tomorrow. It's what they do

Unfortunately, I tend to vote Conservative more often than not. The EU has been toxic to us for 45+ years because UK politicians (originally the Conservative party) mis-sold our membership of the EEC as simply a trading bloc.
In all that time, no anti-EEC politician ever really addressed that "original sin."

If we crash out with no deal look forward to your wages being cut by 20%, the end of the NHS, and a bonfire of civil and industrial rights. As EU members, we have been closely involved with every piece of EU legislation, and sponsored much of it. We have rebates not given to any other member, and sit at the top table. We get back in investment, far more than we pay as a member.
Oh, and Freedom of Movement? That works both ways . Like many agreements they're reciprocal.

https://twitter.com/goodclimate/status/1085241792516313088

Last edited:
Wow!

I wish that we here in the Colonies had more fair-minded voters like you: A gracious loser.

Our 2016 decision wasn't made by the people.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...rexit-deal-with-eu/ar-BBSgjjh?ocid=spartandhp

The UK's exit from Brexit is supposed to occur in 73 days, but thus far a deal which will preserve the UK's existing trade deals and solidify it's future relationship with the EU is nowhere to be found. Without a deal going forward, the UK faces economic chaos come March 29th as the UK will have to re-negotiate it's long standing economic ties to Europe.

Wow!

Looks like Parliament is getting the sense that there is no good way forward with Brexit.

Our 2016 decision wasn't made by the people.

I remember a referendum and soon it will be time to pay the piper for that error. This is why we don’t place international relations directly into the hands of the electorate. Profoundly stupid things happen when you govern by referendum.

Back
Top Bottom