• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK like a "third world country" marked by "a new and aggressive atheism"

...maybe in other countries in Europe but, I thought Britain doesn't have a written constitution, and even have a state church. So....no...i don't get that impression.

Britain does have a constitution and it's all written down, just not in one comprehensive document, British Constitution 101. This might help.

As far as an established church is concerned, yes England does have one, Scotland, NI and Wales do not.

People vote freely for a party/person = Democracy.. and that is regardless if a country is a parliamentary democracy, republic or whatever.

I did not say India didn't have any form of democracy. I only noted that it is not as democratic.

And like I said no it is not. Turn-out is a very clear indicator of how the people perceive their democracy. Democracies where there is low turn-out, people dont think their vote matters and hence dont turn up to vote.

That is not a decent analysis at all. Here is a survey on the matter of voter turnout:

Who Votes, Who Doesn't, and Why: Summary of Findings - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

I think you will find by looking at that what is the more likely explanation for the lack of voter turnout.

Yes and India have other issues than say Denmark or other well defined democracies with many parties. India have a caste system which impacts its political system big time. 3rd world parliamentary democracies have histories of instability and other issues. I am talking about democracies in Europe vs US, that are well defined and have had successful elections for many many decades.

"Other issues" are exactly what I am talking about. Having many political parties is not as significant as you believe.

LOL what the hell are you smoking? The system of gerrymandering is ripe in the US.. look at Texas.. hell look at most states. You have whole districts designed to elect black people and people from certain parties. There is next to no gerrymandering in most European countries lol. There are set rules on how to make the political districts and they do NOT include favouring a political party or racial make up. We use things like geography and most important.. population density.

I actually clearly stated that different methods are available to achieve similar or better results in terms of controlling who gets into power and who doesn't.

LOL okay show me. Give us examples. Show me where an election in Europe was decided by the court system.

To be fair the instance you are referring to was nothing more than a decision regarding a recount in Florida. It might have had the effect of deciding the election, but you are distorting a legitimate legal case regarding a central issue of democracy to suggest something other than the reality.

What I was referring to is not some spurious claim of courts "deciding elections" but explicitly outlawing or restricting political parties.

Yes, in Spain Batasuna is banned because they support ETA a terrorist organisation. That is the only one I can thinking off hand, do you know of any more? Considering we allow parties like the BNP then well..

The BNP was not banned, but a number of restrictions were imposed on it meant to weaken it politically.

Now it is "everything" instead of nothing? You changing your stance dude.

Uh, no, you are are changing my words. I did not say it is everything nor did I say it is nothing. I said it means very little.

yea, when was that.. oh yea the late 1960s when all black people got the right to vote for real. Or did you forget that dirty bit of history?

Is someone from Spain really criticizing the state of my country in the 1960's? :doh However, I think I should just note here that black people did have the right to vote well before the 1960's. I grant that between the Reconstruction Era and Civil Rights Movement a number of Southern states sought to diminish the ability of blacks to vote, but that did not deny them that right even in those states, let alone in other states.

You cant compare India and the US and you know it. India has other issues that are very unique to India (caste system), but like it or not, on the basic democratic level of having a political system with parties and people voting for said parties and politician's, there is very little basic difference between India, the US or say Denmark. Only in India and Denmark they can count.

For one, India's issues are much complicated than that. For another, there is a huge difference between these countries when it comes to democracy. Having elections and parties does not define democracy and it is not all that is required to have a democracy. Also it does not reflect on how democratic a system is in reality. Being more or less democratic depends on more than just having political parties and elections.

And yes what you just said is a load of American right wing bs crap .. you sir are the one that has been brainwashed.

What I am saying is not right wing or the result of brainwashing. I am not saying such rights should be restricted only that such rights being legally respected does not mean a country has more political freedom as a fascist government would have compelling reasons to allow hedonism.

Your comments have zero to do with the reality of the political situation in Europe anno 2010.

I can understand why it might be hard to see what it has to do with the present situation. There are probably few people who would even notice what I like to call the weasel clause, I also call it the fascist clause, in the Charter of Fundamental Rights.

What is your direct experience of European political cultures btw?

I wouldn't expect you to come to the U.S. in order to criticize it so I trust you won't expect the same from me. Certainly plenty of people criticize countries they have never visited, but that does not mean their criticism is not legitimate.

In what way are they not sovereign? As you can see in current events, a state such as France can completely ignore the opinions of the EU with impunity. To what extent do you believe a US state could ignore federal opinion in this way?

I am not sure you are talking about with current events, but in fact U.S. states can and have ignored federal opinion and not just in the more radical ways. Also, I noted many of those states are sovereign in a sense, just not independent. California is a sovereign state, it is just not an independent state. I guess the confusion is understandable since nearly all of Europe's states are unitary in nature rather than federalist.

Last edited:
Surely I can't be the only one to recognize the trend towards an inverse relationship between the socioeconomic status of a country and its religiosity?

The Pope should WANT Britain to be a third world country, since third world countries are more strongly religious than first.

...maybe in other countries in Europe but, I thought Britain doesn't have a written constitution, and even have a state church. So....no...i don't get that impression.

It is symbolic. The church is politically irrelevant.

The Pope should also feel free to take his corrupt Catholic regime back to Rome and leave the Anglicans be.

I didn't care about the Pope. Indifference could best describe me at most but my reaction to discovering we was picking up the tab on this nobody was ... WTF.

Do we British pick up the tab for the Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem?? No? Then what makes the Pope so goddamn special. I can't believe the Pope has the cheek to come UK on the eve of more sex scandals in Belgium and report in UK. I suppose it is too much to take a U Turn and go comfort the people your priests sexually abused :doh

Does anyone else not ponder the fact Paedophiles most likely enter the Catholic Church because they know they will have the opportunity and if caught, protection and immunity from the law?

Oh well, the good sense of King Henry of splitting UK from Rome in 1534.
Pope should have never come back, first state visit in 500 years ... shame it couldn't be longer. They should have the sense to realise we don't want 'em. (unless he is paying his own travel bills)

Last edited:
That is not a decent analysis at all. Here is a survey on the matter of voter turnout:

Who Votes, Who Doesn't, and Why: Summary of Findings - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

I think you will find by looking at that what is the more likely explanation for the lack of voter turnout.

Excuses. The fact is that American's piss on their own democratic values year on year by NOT even bothering to go to the polls. No wonder your political system is in such a crisis, when you have only 35% who regularly vote. There may be many different reasons, but regardless it shows a very bad health of a democratic system when only 35 % of the population bothers to get involved in running the country.

To be fair the instance you are referring to was nothing more than a decision regarding a recount in Florida. It might have had the effect of deciding the election, but you are distorting a legitimate legal case regarding a central issue of democracy to suggest something other than the reality.

What I was referring to is not some spurious claim of courts "deciding elections" but explicitly outlawing or restricting political parties.
No you said deciding election because I was saying that US courts have decided key election.., so come with some examples from Europe since you claim that there are.

The BNP was not banned, but a number of restrictions were imposed on it meant to weaken it politically.

Er no. You need to read up on that. The BNP did not live up to the basic principles set up for ALL parties. The rules are very simple and they state that a party can not deny membership based on race, religion or sex if they want to run for national office. This is a fundamental part of our society... So to be allowed to stand for national election the BNP had to change their wording in their constitution to meet said requirement, which they did. It did not weaken it politically, in fact the media fest about the whole thing gave them a political boost.

Is someone from Spain really criticizing the state of my country in the 1960's? :doh However, I think I should just note here that black people did have the right to vote well before the 1960's. I grant that between the Reconstruction Era and Civil Rights Movement a number of Southern states sought to diminish the ability of blacks to vote, but that did not deny them that right even in those states, let alone in other states.

I only live in Spain.. and stop apologizing for your racist southern states. The policies of said states basically blocked blacks from voting and those that tried were beaten to a pulp more than often. Like it or not your country did not have fully free election before the late 1960s... fully free as everyone regardless of race and where you were could relatively easily participate in an election.

For one, India's issues are much complicated than that. For another, there is a huge difference between these countries when it comes to democracy. Having elections and parties does not define democracy and it is not all that is required to have a democracy.

What? It is not required to have the right to vote at elections to be a democracy? What are you smoking? It is the fundamental part of a democracy lol

Also it does not reflect on how democratic a system is in reality. Being more or less democratic depends on more than just having political parties and elections.

No it depends on how you define "how democratic a system is". Something you have yet to do. You have yet to tell what the differences are between the US and India and say random European country that makes the US "more democratic". How about starting with that?

What I am saying is not right wing or the result of brainwashing. I am not saying such rights should be restricted only that such rights being legally respected does not mean a country has more political freedom as a fascist government would have compelling reasons to allow hedonism.

So now you are saying European countries are fascist? Do you even know what fascism means? And you need to be much more clear. You for one started saying we are less free here because we are hedonistic and that impacts on our political freedom. Now you are saying that ...hell I dont even understand what you are saying to be honest, since you have changed your view it seems.

I can understand why it might be hard to see what it has to do with the present situation. There are probably few people who would even notice what I like to call the weasel clause, I also call it the fascist clause, in the Charter of Fundamental Rights.

Bla bla bla, give us examples instead of accusations.

19 million google hits go to support the universal agreement (bar one) that the worlds largest democracy is indeed India.

what people believe in is up to them,how can u people condemn theses good people,go and get a life..

regards mikeey

What a retarded thread. You people whine about all the wrong things.

There is only one way to get that son of a gun out of our country.

media_xl_904340.jpg

Make this guy show up. :lol:

....who's that guy?

Actually surpised you have never heard of him. His name is Mehmet Agca, an ex-Muslim who attempted to assasinate that pope up there (whats his name) and actually did manage to pump a couple of bullets into him during a tour in Italy. The pope decided to forgive him and met him in his prison cell. After a long "holy" chat with the pope, Mehmet Agca decided to convert to christianity and had remained a close friend with the pope until his death. Ironic story but true. Here is an infamous moment in European history, captured on camera.

article-0-01E54CA70000044D-185_468x286.jpg

See his hand?

A better look:

05_pope.jpg

article-0-002AE5AD00000258-913_468x286.jpg

Good thing he converted to Christianity, knock some sense into the son of a bitch. :lol:

Actually surpised you have never heard of him. His name is Mehmet Agca, an ex-Muslim who attempted to assasinate that pope up there (whats his name) and actually did manage to pump a couple of bullets into him during a tour in Italy. The pope decided to forgive him and met him in his prison cell. After a long "holy" chat with the pope, Mehmet Agca decided to convert to christianity and had remained a close friend with the pope until his death. Ironic story but true. Here is an infamous moment in European history, captured on camera.

article-0-01E54CA70000044D-185_468x286.jpg

See his hand?

A better look:

05_pope.jpg

article-0-002AE5AD00000258-913_468x286.jpg

Good thing he converted to Christianity, knock some sense into the son of a bitch. :lol:

Oh. That guy. Abrahamic religions - the contest to see who's details are greater.

But if he were a Christian, his aim would have been better.

Last edited:
Oh. That guy. Abrahamic religions - the contest to see who's details are greater.

But if he were a Christian, his aim would have been better.

It's all bollocks to me either way. Be a good person and you can't go wrong. I try and live by this, not just to get first class tickets to heaven, but because it's the right thing to do.

It's all bollocks to me either way. Be a good person and you can't go wrong. I try and live by this, not just to get first class tickets to heaven, but because it's the right thing to do.

Well, the "right" thing to do is always at odds. The difference between local "right" thing and big picture "right" thing often doesn't mesh. But all claim the "right" thing.

Well, the "right" thing to do is always at odds. The difference between local "right" thing and big picture "right" thing often doesn't mesh. But all claim the "right" thing.

MetalGear said:
It's all bollocks to me either way. Be a good person and you can't go wrong. I try and live by this, not just to get first class tickets to heaven, but because it's the i think its the right thing to do.

They can have there gods and there allah's and there saints and there magic, but as long there ideology isn't forced on to me or my family and i am not forcing my beliefs on to them, i am happy. In England when i moved to a new area and the Jehova Witnesses kept knocking on my door, i bought a couple of german shepherds, that pissed them right off. Live and let be, eh? It's the beauty of the western world we live in.

Last edited:
A few years back when i was holidaying in Turkey i remember a few occasions where the people in our area would drag the imam out and kick the **** out of him for doing the call to prayer because it used to blare through the mosque speakers. I was always against that. But in the end you think, you know what? Its a headache and i don't believe this. They don't need to pray to the entire country, the majority of whom do not even understand the prayer. So we climbed the minarets and broke the speakers. I saved his arse being kicked again, so i guess i did a good deed. :lol:

Well, the way I see it, his remarks are about all English speaking nations. It's just, yet, another insult offerred to a King Henry-esque defiance and the Protestant movement from the Cathlolic side of Europe in which English speaking nations have heard before on differnt levels.

Last edited:
Hi MSgt,still here that is great my good friend,all the best to u and your family,and of course the soldier u are.

god bless u bro have a good life missed u

mikeey

Hi MSgt,still here that is great my good friend,all the best to u and your family,and of course the soldier u are.

god bless u bro have a good life missed u

mikeey

Hello, mikeey. I have a few things left to say I guess.

Excuses. The fact is that American's piss on their own democratic values year on year by NOT even bothering to go to the polls. No wonder your political system is in such a crisis, when you have only 35% who regularly vote. There may be many different reasons, but regardless it shows a very bad health of a democratic system when only 35 % of the population bothers to get involved in running the country.

The number who regularly vote would generally mean people who vote in the primaries, the mid-term elections, and local elections rather than those who generally vote in the presidential election, which is a much higher portion of the voting-age population. For instance in 2008 nearly as many people voted as a proportion of the population as in the U.K. this year. Also, if you looked you would see part of the reason there is low participation is that individuals age 18-29 typically don't get registered right away. Also participation is lower among the poor and Hispanics. In essence your claim that low turnout indicates a less democratic system is bunk.

No you said deciding election because I was saying that US courts have decided key election.., so come with some examples from Europe since you claim that there are.

No, I didn't say deciding an election. You said the courts decided an election and I noted that courts influence elections in Europe as well.

Er no. You need to read up on that. The BNP did not live up to the basic principles set up for ALL parties. The rules are very simple and they state that a party can not deny membership based on race, religion or sex if they want to run for national office. This is a fundamental part of our society... So to be allowed to stand for national election the BNP had to change their wording in their constitution to meet said requirement, which they did. It did not weaken it politically, in fact the media fest about the whole thing gave them a political boost.

They changed the wording and still got punished because as the court itself said their demand for members to uphold the values of the party had the effect of keeping people from joining, mainly because said people would reject the values of the party.

I only live in Spain.. and stop apologizing for your racist southern states. The policies of said states basically blocked blacks from voting and those that tried were beaten to a pulp more than often.

I am not apologizing for anything. Merely correcting your misrepresentation of the situation. You basically said black people couldn't vote in elections until the 1960's, which just completely misrepresents the real situation. For instance during the Reconstruction Era and even some time after that many blacks were voting in the South. At the same time you had many blacks who moved outside the South where there were no such policies discriminating against them.

Like it or not your country did not have fully free election before the late 1960s... fully free as everyone regardless of race and where you were could relatively easily participate in an election.

Do I really need to point out the countries in Europe at the same time that did not even have elections as free as that?

What? It is not required to have the right to vote at elections to be a democracy? What are you smoking? It is the fundamental part of a democracy lol

That is because, like many, you are conflating the Western system of democracy with democracy as a whole. Western democracy would generally be described as multi-party representative democracy. That is far from the only form democracy can take.

No it depends on how you define "how democratic a system is". Something you have yet to do. You have yet to tell what the differences are between the US and India and say random European country that makes the US "more democratic". How about starting with that?

I have already cited several differences.

So now you are saying European countries are fascist? Do you even know what fascism means? And you need to be much more clear. You for one started saying we are less free here because we are hedonistic and that impacts on our political freedom. Now you are saying that ...hell I dont even understand what you are saying to be honest, since you have changed your view it seems.

What I am saying is that having such hedonistic liberties is not proof a country has greater political freedoms, the freedoms that matter most.

Bla bla bla, give us examples instead of accusations.

That is an example. Do you know the meaning of the word "example"?

19 million google hits go to support the universal agreement (bar one) that the worlds largest democracy is indeed India.

Nowhere did I say it wasn't the largest democracy, I only challenge its level of democracy. The West, for a variety of reasons, like to tout India as the democratic alternative to China and that entails them glossing over its corruption and human rights abuses. Hell, look at what's going on in Kashmir right now. If that was going on in Tibet you would have actors and politicians from around the world bitching and whining about horrible tyrants in China, but because it happens in India people keep it hush hush. Acknowledging that India does many of the same things China does kind of destroys the illusion.

I'm still at a loss at how the States was brought up as an alternative to the atheistic governance of Europe. What makes American governance religious? Which nations actually have state religions?

Then there's a flimsy discussion about what rights really matter, acceptance of nudity or gun ownership. Both can be seen as important demonstations of freedom of expression or defence against the state, both can also be seen as hedonism in their own way (at least guns and sex seem to be intrinsically linked in every advert I've seen). Both could also be used to pacify the masses, as anyone knows that owning a gun is not going to protect oneself against a modern military that really wanted to kill you. Still seems to make people believe they have a chance when they don't. Better off learning guerilla tactics and how to build IEDs if big bad government actually does become big bad government.

I'm still at a loss at how the States was brought up as an alternative to the atheistic governance of Europe. What makes American governance religious? Which nations actually have state religions?

None. This is what allows us to prevail today and will allow us to prevail tomorrow against today's threat. Too many Europeans leap at a chance to denigrate Americans for you all to be considered our "friends." One of the favorite images of Americans is to paint us as Bible thumping bigots. Yet is is hard to find an American believer as intolerant or dishonest as a secular European intellectual. Religious tolerance is yet another area of American triumph. This triumph is a result of healthy competition. People in Europe accept that competition is essential to an economy and that democracy requires more than one politicial party. But most of you miss the importance of religion in making a tolerant and successful mixture of culture and people. We've managed to keep our faiths while setting aside our hatreds. While Europeans may seek out the exceptional radical in America or very insignificant protest about Islamic Learning Intstitutions at Ground Zero to paint a false (lying) picture, we have never declared a single religion as an identity of the American.

Given the history, Europe has run as far from religious violence as possible even while declaring state religions. The result has been an intolerance of religion in general. Despite the shunning of religion or the insistence that one should hide it away from others, Europeans have managed to create monopolies on religion. And monopolies are always bad. One only has to look at the Middle East to see what a monopoly on religion can do to the soul. The lack of competition has absolutely sent souls into the abyss where they have only one choice. Europeans have done the same, though admittedly to a lesser degree. Non-Christians are the outsiders and the more they practice their Islamic religion, the more uneasy and angry the crowds are getting.

It is tru that some people need doctrine in their lives. But the proven truth is that God thrives best on earth when no single clergy is authorized to define Him for an entire population. It's in America where people see the "New Jerusalem." Europeans think they are merely seeking to shun the Islamic radicals in their midsts, but what they are actually doing is shunning the religious outsider.

The Vatican said the cardinal had not intended "any kind of slight" and had pulled out because of illness.

BBC News - Pope aide pulls out of trip after Third World jibe

Good thing he canceled his trip. This old fart is not welcome here. The Pope should also feel free to take his corrupt Catholic regime back to Rome and leave the Anglicans be.

And who says British hospitality is dead?

Good thing you're more hospitable to Muslims or you'd be receiving death threats for those sort of comments.

There are parts of France where walking around naked is practically compulsory! The Burka ban is a difficult one, and one that has been debated to death here, but I believe it has very little to do with religion. The Burka is a cultural symbol, not a religious one and arguements in favour of banning it have a strong basis in security concerns.

Of course there are stronger security concerns if you do try and ban the burka. And if Muslims say it is a religious belief how are you going to argue with them?
The Vatican has a bit of a record of creating controversy on the eve of Papal visits. Remember when he visited Africa and condemned the use of condoms?

The Pope naturally wants more Africans and fewer Europeans. What's controversial about that?

Back
Top Bottom