• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Uh oh, republicans cant use the word "wall" anymore.

Vern

back from Vegas
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
the article is about how Trump is losing the "wall debate" but its just funny to see republicans trying to pretend using the word "wall" is some kind of democrat/librul media plot

In TV interviews last weekend, Republican lawmakers bent over backward to avoid the word wall. “I happen to agree with the president on barriers,” said Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri. Sen. Susan Collins of Maine pledged “to continue to build physical barriers.” On Fox News Sunday, Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, used the word barrier 13 times. Trump is “winning the battle on the importance of a barrier,” said Mulvaney. On Face the Nation, Mulvaney boasted that Democrats were privately telling the White House, “We think you might be right on this barrier thing.”

Barrier thing? If Trump is winning, why is everyone around him afraid to say the word wall?

Which leads to this typical dishonesty from the right

One sign of the president’s troubles is the behavior of his polling adviser, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway. She’s been recoiling from the word wall like a vampire recoiling from sunlight. Democrats “keep calling it the wall, the wall, because they want that to be a four-letter word,” Conway complained on Fox News earlier this month. When an interviewer asked whether Trump would “sign something that doesn’t have border wall funding,” Conway shot back, “It’s not border wall funding. It’s border security.” Last week on CNN, Conway and Chris Cuomo engaged in a 14-minute spell-casting duel. Cuomo hurled the word wall 15 times; Conway fired back with eight invocations of barrier and four uses of fence.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/republicans-trump-wall.html

Do I really need to point out that trump said wall? probably.

the article is about how Trump is losing the "wall debate" but its just funny to see republicans trying to pretend using the word "wall" is some kind of democrat/librul media plot

In TV interviews last weekend, Republican lawmakers bent over backward to avoid the word wall. “I happen to agree with the president on barriers,” said Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri. Sen. Susan Collins of Maine pledged “to continue to build physical barriers.” On Fox News Sunday, Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, used the word barrier 13 times. Trump is “winning the battle on the importance of a barrier,” said Mulvaney. On Face the Nation, Mulvaney boasted that Democrats were privately telling the White House, “We think you might be right on this barrier thing.”

Barrier thing? If Trump is winning, why is everyone around him afraid to say the word wall?

One sign of the president’s troubles is the behavior of his polling adviser, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway. She’s been recoiling from the word wall like a vampire recoiling from sunlight. Democrats “keep calling it the wall, the wall, because they want that to be a four-letter word,” Conway complained on Fox News earlier this month. When an interviewer asked whether Trump would “sign something that doesn’t have border wall funding,” Conway shot back, “It’s not border wall funding. It’s border security.” Last week on CNN, Conway and Chris Cuomo engaged in a 14-minute spell-casting duel. Cuomo hurled the word wall 15 times; Conway fired back with eight invocations of barrier and four uses of fence.

Sounds like a white flag to me.

You're arguing semantics...

Trump's campaign promise is strong border enforcement. Walls, fences, barriers, technology, more boots on the ground makes this possible and fulfills his campaign promise.
The Democrats don't want Trump to fulfill his campaign promise because it gives him the win.

Glad I could help...:mrgreen:

Trump's campaign promise is strong border enforcement. Walls, fences, barriers, technology, more boots on the ground makes this possible and fulfills his campaign promise.
The Democrats don't want Trump to fulfill his campaign promise because it gives him the win.

thanks for proving me right trix. I literally said "Do I really need to point out that trump said wall? probably." Trump said wall and he bristled when it was called a fence

As conceived by Trump and his aides, the wall was supposed to be huge, manly, and a manifestation of Trump’s genius as a builder. It would be “massive,” made of concrete units 40 to 50 feet tall, bigger than the Great Wall of China. It would be an icon of American dominance, growing taller, according to Trump, every time Mexico refused to pay for it. When a rival candidate called it a fence, Trump bristled: “Jeb Bush just talked about my border proposal to build a ‘fence.’ It’s not a fence, Jeb, it’s a WALL, and there’s a BIG difference!”

Maybe you should actually read the link before your obligatory defense of your dear leader. It only made you look foolish.

Last edited:
thanks for proving me right trix. I literally said "Do I really need to point out that trump said wall? probably." Trump said wall and he bristled when it was called a fence

As conceived by Trump and his aides, the wall was supposed to be huge, manly, and a manifestation of Trump’s genius as a builder. It would be “massive,” made of concrete units 40 to 50 feet tall, bigger than the Great Wall of China. It would be an icon of American dominance, growing taller, according to Trump, every time Mexico refused to pay for it. When a rival candidate called it a fence, Trump bristled: “Jeb Bush just talked about my border proposal to build a ‘fence.’ It’s not a fence, Jeb, it’s a WALL, and there’s a BIG difference!”

Maybe you should actually read the link before your obligatory defense of your dear leader. It only made you look foolish.

You're arguing semantics, hence your thread, wrapped in anti-Trump sentiment, is a cop-out.

Just this morning in fact:

Donald J. Trump
‏@realDonaldTrump

Lets just call them WALLS from now on and stop playing political games! A WALL is a WALL!

4:16 AM - 31 Jan 2019

He said it - a wall is a wall. :lol:

You're arguing semantics, hence your thread, wrapped in anti-Trump sentiment, is a cop-out.

poor trix, I'm not arguing semantics. Republicans are. I've proven it. You continuing to not understand that only proves your dishonesty.

Vern pointing out that Republicans are now hiding from the word Wall with semantics, after Trump apparently lost the first round of "The wall" shutdown, is a cop-out on Vern's part?
How does anyone view your posts as anything even close to sensible? Why not start posting more honestly...reasonably? It's never too late.

the wall just got 10 feet higher......

Bahahaha...true story:

I used to work in the beer industry, and at one point we realized we were losing market share (literally termed "share of throat"...lolz) to hard liquor. So we had this big meeting, and I mean everyone was in this, and the top brass were holding it, there must have been 300 people in that room, and we were told make sure that whenever we talked about hard liquor at social gatherings or family events, we specifically used the words "hard liquor", and not "spirits", because "hard liquor" had a more negative connotation. This was followed up with weekly, company wide emails, to remind us.

Trump must have hired the same PR guy... :lamo

Trump wants a wall. His narcissistic ego cannot stand the thought of not having a monument dedicated to him.

Trump wants a wall. His narcissistic ego cannot stand the thought of not having a monument dedicated to him.

Trump is open to a steel fence instead of a concrete wall.
The rest of your post is simply nonsense.

Trump ignored his 'promise' for two years and now he expects the Democrats to fulfill it.
You're welcome.

You mean the steel slats he said were a concession to the Dems? Lol. Doesn’t matter if it is steel or concrete, Drumpf wants his monument.

Agreed.

wall: noun
any of various permanent upright constructions having a length much greater than the thickness and presenting a continuous surface except where pierced by doors, windows, etc.: used for shelter, protection, or privacy, or to subdivide interior space, to support floors, roofs, or the like, to retain earth, to fence in an area, etc.

Usually walls. a rampart raised for defensive purposes.

Great post Joe except for one teensy little thing: A fence isn't 50 feet high and isn't made of concrete. that's how trump described his wall. Do we even need to discuss that Mexico isn't paying for it? And had you even bothered to read the thread (geez, its only two pages) you would have learned that Trump "bristled" when it was called a fence. And joe, republicans bending over backwards to not say wall proves "fence doesn't equal wall". If they were the same they wouldn't get mad at people who say "wall".

Great post Joe except for one teensy little thing: A fence isn't 50 feet high and isn't made of concrete. that's how trump described his wall. Do we even need to discuss that Mexico isn't paying for it?

I still believe that we should have better border security so people who want to enter the US can be vetted. Yeah, even with a wall/border, it's not fool proof, but it's better than letting caravans of people get in without much resistance.

I still believe that we should have better border security so people who want to enter the US can be vetted. Yeah, even with a wall/border, it's not fool proof, but it's better than letting caravans of people get in without much resistance.

Good job joe. Look how easily you ignore the facts and continue with the conservative narratives. First you tried to “massage” trump’s 50 foot high concrete wall into “just a plain ole fence”. Now you try to “massage” it into just “better border security”. The problem with your latest obedient conservative narrative is that the “evil” caravans didn’t get in. So using your own “logic”, you’ve just admitted we don’t need “better border security”. Thank you.

oh and if the people in the caravan had gotten in and asked for asylum they would have been vetted. At some point, I'll just assume your constant "mistakes" are on purpose.

If you are eligible for asylum you may be permitted to remain in the United States. To apply for Asylum, file a Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal, within one year of your arrival to the United States. There is no fee to apply for asylum.

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum/asylum

Christ you remind me of Obama where he promised you can keep your Dr............................................................

And your bitching about a wall vs barrier vs fence vs a concrete wall vs a see through steel barrier or wall. You lifties just bitch about the the most trivial BS. I've noticed non of you lifties never talk about policy. Obama's policies were a 100% failure vs Trump's successes.

BTW your position is walls don't work and are immoral. Does "naive" mean anything to you?

Vern pointing out that Republicans are now hiding from the word Wall with semantics, after Trump apparently lost the first round of "The wall" shutdown, is a cop-out on Vern's part?
How does anyone view your posts as anything even close to sensible? Why not start posting more honestly...reasonably? It's never too late.

But if they did that, it wouldn't be trolling. Their sole existence for living apparently

Good job joe. Look how easily you ignore the facts and continue with the conservative narratives. First you tried to “massage” trump’s 50 foot high concrete wall into “just a plain ole fence”. Now you try to “massage” it into just “better border security”. The problem with your latest obedient conservative narrative is that the “evil” caravans didn’t get in. So using your own “logic”, you’ve just admitted we don’t need “better border security”. Thank you.

oh and if the people in the caravan had gotten in and asked for asylum they would have been vetted. At some point, I'll just assume your constant "mistakes" are on purpose.

Pelosi and the liberals oppose a wall so much that they have funds in the federal budget to build a wall in Jordan at taxpayer expense.

Pelosi and the liberals oppose a wall so much that they have funds in the federal budget to build a wall in Jordan at taxpayer expense.

Joe, we were discussing how easily you ignore the facts and continue on with conservative narratives. you then ignore the facts and spew "something something Pelosi". I wish you could understand how funny that is. Why don't you attempt to respond to what I post for once. Let help you to understand. This thread is about republicans literally running away from the word "wall". yea, the word they've spewed for over two years is now somehow magically bad. there is simply nothing you can post to defend that. its what required your steady stream of "mistakes" and now your deflection. If your agenda requires you to play dumb and constantly deflect then there something wrong with your agenda. Yea joe, its that simple.

Christ you remind me of Obama where he promised you can keep your Dr............................................................

thanks for the laughs BF. You could keep your doctor. The narrative you want to obediently post is "he promised you can keep your plan". And he apologized for being wrong. But I just have to ask. How you ignore trump's daily lies to whine about something insignificant President Obama was wrong about it and apologized for. You really have a hard time processing reality when it doesn't fit your narrative.

And your bitching about a wall vs barrier vs fence vs a concrete wall vs a see through steel barrier or wall. You lifties just bitch about the the most trivial BS. I've noticed non of you lifties never talk about policy.
this is only proves my point about not being able to process reality. This thread is not about whatever your conservative masters told you dems were "said". this thread is about yet another example of republicans complete dishonesty. (remember, in the first sentence you pretended to care about integrity).

Obama's policies were a 100% failure vs Trump's successes.

Your conservative masters appreciate your obedience.

Gee. I wonder what terminology Trump will use tonight for his SOTU.

Wall? Fence? Barrier? Molehill?

Will he call his wall a wall? Or will he punk out?

And talk about symbolism. Tonight Nancy Pelosi will be peering over Trumps left shoulder. Just as she'll be doing for the next two years.

Gee. I wonder what terminology Trump will use tonight for his SOTU.
Wall? Fence? Barrier? Molehill?
Will he call his wall a wall? Or will he punk out?
And talk about symbolism. Tonight Nancy Pelosi will be peering over Trumps left shoulder. Just as she'll be doing for the next two years.

It is funny that a lot of people were asking this question, and Trump delivered. I don't recall if it was during the speech or before, but there was mention of a "human wall" if he has to, putting troops there or some other B.S. I mean, it's like writers could write the Trump script at this point.

Back
Top Bottom