• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UAW seeks VW's blessing to represent Tennessee workers

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
this is interesting.

UAW seeks VW's blessing to represent Tennessee workers | Reuters

The United Auto Workers would like Volkswagen AG to voluntarily recognize the U.S. union as the best choice to represent the German automaker's workers at its Tennessee plant, the union's president said on Thursday.

Doing so would eliminate the need for a more formal and divisive vote, UAW President Bob King said, and allow the union and VW to represent the workers using an "innovative model" that would be a milestone in the union's long-running effort to organize foreign-owned auto plants.

Critics, however, argue that such an approach would be undemocratic.

King has been trying to organize foreign-owned, U.S.-based auto plants to bolster a union membership that has shrunk since its peak in the late 1970s.

Historically, the U.S. South has been hostile to unions, and scoring a win at VW would mark the UAW's first success at a major foreign automaker's plant in that region. That could alter the landscape in the U.S. auto sector, opening door to similar efforts at plants owned by Germany's Mercedes in Alabama and BMW in South Carolina, and possibly those owned by Japanese and South Korean automakers, analysts have said.

GERMAN LABOR MODEL

The question in Tennessee would be whether the UAW seeks a formal vote for recognition or asks VW officials simply to recognize the union as the official bargaining unit for the workers under a new German-style representation model called a "works council."

Volkswagen is a German company so i wonder how the European company's deal with concept of unions.

Interesting. It would be stupid for them to recognize them. Sounds to me like they are angling for a closed-shop set up in a right to work state, but IDK.

So the automaker gets to decide that all of his employees will be members of the UAW? The employees don't get a say? What's with that??

i am not familiar with European automaker management practices so i don't know what to think.

So the automaker gets to decide that all of his employees will be members of the UAW? The employees don't get a say? What's with that??

It would be called a "Condition of Employement". Some companies in the field I work in require that employees are part of a technical association. Or require drug tests. If VW states that employee's have to be part of a union, it is their choice (especially in a RTW state). If the employee does not want to be part of the union, he would have to quit (or be fired if he was unwilling to quit)

Back
Top Bottom