• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Voters Prefer Job Creation Over Deficit Cuts, Poll Shows

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The Quinnipiac University poll also shows that few of those surveyed expect President Barack Obama to make much progress with congressional leaders at a White House meeting, originally scheduled for tomorrow, that is likely to focus on economic issues.

Asked about their own priorities, 45 percent of those surveyed support additional spending to stimulate job growth, 32 percent want to see the federal budget deficit reduced, and 17 percent want lower taxes -- even as Congress meets in a lame- duck session to debate the continuation of Bush-era tax cuts.

You cant spend your way to economic recovery. The government needs to stop the spending, cut taxes and nix alot of these regulations that make it a pain in the ass to start business to create jobs.

U.S. Voters Prefer Job Creation Over Deficit Cuts, Poll Shows - Bloomberg

You cant spend your way to economic recovery. The government needs to stop the spending, cut taxes and nix alot of these regulations that make it a pain in the ass to start business to create jobs.

The best thing Obama could do right now and it will get him re-elected is, get the hell away from our economy and tax system. Let it fix itself. Stop all the BS talk about raising taxes, regulations and C&T.

This is why I don't have a ton if faith in actions actually being taken to curb the deficit. Americans, in general, are about Number One.

Spending is the ONLY way to create an economic recovery. And as long as the private sector isn't doing it, the government needs to pick up the slack. I agree with you that there are a lot of regulations that can be cut to encourage private job growth, but in the short term we need someone to buy goods and services and the private sector is not doing it.

I disagree its more or less a combination of this and lack of economic knowledge.

Well speaking as someone who has quite a bit of knowledge about economics, let me just say that the short-term deficit is an overblown, overhyped non-issue. During a recession, having relatively high spending and relatively low taxes (i.e. a budget deficit) is EXACTLY what we should be doing. We can worry about the deficit when the economy recovers, and even then we don't need to worry about balancing the budget. We just need to cut the deficit to a reasonable size, so that our economy can outgrow our debt.

As to the more general point - that preferring economic stimulus over deficit reduction indicates a lack of knowledge about economics - it would seem that the vast majority of economists disagree. Greg Mankiw, probably the most famous living conservative economist, polls his fellow economists on a regular basis to see what issues they commonly agree on. Here are a couple things on which there is a widespread consensus among economists:

"Fiscal policy (e.g., tax cut and/or government expenditure increase) has a significant stimulative impact on a less than fully employed economy." - 90% of economists agree

"If the federal budget is to be balanced, it should be done over the business cycle rather than yearly." - 85% of economists agree

I have been saying this for over a year and been attack pretty regularly for it.

We have listened to Biden claim we were going to spend our way out of the recession and Pelosi claiming that Unemployment Benefits create jobs.

Clearly none of the lame brain schemes have come close to working.

The best example of Obama waste I have seen is the $111 million dollars for jobs in L.A. and managed to only hire 54 people for all that money.

Or the total of 690,000 new vehicles that were sold during the Cash for Clunkers debacle last summer, and only 125,000 of those were vehicles that would not have been sold anyway for a cost of $2.9 billion or $24,000 per car. the major benefit went to Toyota who sold more than anyone else by a wide margin.

The deficit will be cut when the jobs come and the jobs might just come with some good news about cutting taxes and regulations because the economy is based on the belief that things are looking up. People don't invest in a future that is uncertain.

Obama spent too much time talking about how everything was awful and that added to the problems.

Spending is the ONLY way to create an economic recovery. And as long as the private sector isn't doing it, the government needs to pick up the slack. I agree with you that there are a lot of regulations that can be cut to encourage private job growth, but in the short term we need someone to buy goods and services and the private sector is not doing it.

The government can't replace private sector cash flow. The past two years and over a trillion dollars has proven that.

The Quinnipiac University poll also shows that few of those surveyed expect President Barack Obama to make much progress with congressional leaders at a White House meeting, originally scheduled for tomorrow, that is likely to focus on economic issues.

I wonder if any of the Republicans in attendance will be disrespectful to the President when he wants to say something, telling him 'We won...'

The best thing Obama could do right now and it will get him re-elected is, get the hell away from our economy and tax system. Let it fix itself. Stop all the BS talk about raising taxes, regulations and C&T.

The market is not always right. It must be regulated and influenced to some degree by government, and without government the market cannot truly exist. A total anarchic state proves that statement to be correct.

The market is not always right. It must be regulated and influenced to some degree by government, and without government the market cannot truly exist. A total anarchic state proves that statement to be correct.

And, by the same token, there is a a such-a-thing as too much government regulation.

The government can't replace private sector cash flow. The past two years and over a trillion dollars has proven that.

How has it proven that? The economy could always be better or worse, and comparing the timing of government policies with the timing of economic cycles is, at best, a very noisy source of information.

In reality you'd need to look at the aggregate demand for goods and services...the total demand from the private AND public sector. If the private sector demand contracts and the public sector doesn't respond by expanding, then the economy as a whole will contract and we'll have a recession.

It's not so much a matter of government replacing private sector cash flow...ideally, we'd have both. It's more that the government needs to pick up the slack where the private sector demand has weakened, in the short term. The government can and should cut back on the stimulus spending once the economy recovers a bit.

How has it proven that? The economy could always be better or worse, and comparing the timing of government policies with the timing of economic cycles is, at best, a very noisy source of information.

In reality you'd need to look at the aggregate demand for goods and services...the total demand from the private AND public sector. If the private sector demand contracts and the public sector doesn't respond by expanding, then the economy as a whole will contract and we'll have a recession.

It's not so much a matter of government replacing private sector cash flow...ideally, we'd have both. It's more that the government needs to pick up the slack where the private sector demand has weakened, in the short term. The government can and should cut back on the stimulus spending once the economy recovers a bit.

So, you agree that government spending can't improve the economy. Yes?

I'm racking my brain how I can post something saying the exact opposite, which leads you to conclude I agree with you.

I'm racking my brain how you can possibly think that the government can--through massive spending--can somehow replace private sector cash flow and then, expecct it to recover the economy. The stimulus spending over the past two years should have proven that that's not possible.

I'm racking my brain how you can possibly think that the government can--through massive spending--can somehow replace private sector cash flow and then, expecct it to recover the economy. The stimulus spending over the past two years should have proven that that's not possible.

Then I would suggest you actually read Post #14 and learn about the economic logic behind it, instead of just responding "So you agree with me?" when any moderately intelligent high schooler could tell from my response that I clearly did not, and gave my reasons WHY I did not.

Then I would suggest you actually read Post #14 and learn about the economic logic behind it, instead of just responding "So you agree with me?" when any moderately intelligent high schooler could tell from my response that I clearly did not, and gave my reasons WHY I did not.

Maybe, if I were talking to someone with, at least, a high school mentality, I wouldn't have to say--for the third time--that the government can't replace private sector cash flow.

If it could, the economy would have recovered a long time ago.

And, by the same token, there is a a such-a-thing as too much government regulation.

Absolutely.

Now as for government spending and whether it can improve the economy or not, the answer is easily yes. An easy example is the interstate system, it was entirely funded by the government and vastly improved the speed of goods crossing the US and made that crossing cheaper.

Another easy one is the Internet and information technology in general, now of course the government is not responsible for all information technology. However the Internet and some of the early technologies in that field came from the DoD.

Absolutely.

Now as for government spending and whether it can improve the economy or not, the answer is easily yes. An easy example is the interstate system, it was entirely funded by the government and vastly improved the speed of goods crossing the US and made that crossing cheaper.

Another easy one is the Internet and information technology in general, now of course the government is not responsible for all information technology. However the Internet and some of the early technologies in that field came from the DoD.

How do you come that conclusion, when after more than a trillion dollars has been spent, in two years and the economy is still no better off and probably worse than it was?

And, BTW, the interstate system was built for strategic and tactical reasons. You should have learned that at log pack school.

How do you come that conclusion, when after more than a trillion dollars has been spent, in two years and the economy is still no better off and probably worse than it was?

And, BTW, the interstate system was built for strategic and tactical reasons. You should have learned that at log pack school.

Many economists think that the stimulus wasn't actually big enough. Plus, we have no idea how bad things would be if we hadn't had the stimulus.

Back
Top Bottom