• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Vote counting = Disgrace

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The election was November 6th and some races are STILL undecided. What an absolute joke. We are not even talking about big times races:

Two-term Republican Rep. Mia Love on Friday took the lead over her Democratic challenger in Utah's 4th District House race more than a week after election night and after President Donald Trump mocked her for losing.

Love leads Democrat Ben McAdams by 419 votes as of Friday evening, CNN results show, giving the congresswoman 50.1% of the vote -- a slim margin above McAdams at 49.9% as votes continue to be counted.

Both Salt Lake County and Utah County have ballots that haven't been counted yet. The state is expected to finalize the results of the race on November 26.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/politics/mia-love-Utah-lead-trump/index.html

So Utah's 4th district wont be decided until November 26th because Salt Lake County and Utah County have ballots still not counted.

As of 6 p.m. Wednesday and with all precincts reporting, Young was leading Democrat Gil Cisneros by nearly 3,800 votes in the race for the open 39th congressional district seat, which represents parts of Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino counties including the cities of Fullerton, Buena Park, Diamond Bar and Yorba Linda.

Kim was leading Cisneros by a 76,956 to 73,077 votes, a margin of 51.3 to 48.7 percent. The O.C. Registrar’s Office reported that were still more than 300,000 provisional, late or mail-in ballots still remaining to be counted across the county. It was unclear how many of those were for the 39th district.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/11/07/young-kim-slim-lead-gil-cisneros-oc-house-race/

Another disgrace. Young Kim was leading Gil Cisneros by 3,800 votes last week and is now behind 900 votes?

The United States is not Vanuatu or Palau.

The solution is pretty clear to me. Online voting. Most people are comfortable providing their credit card and SSN info online. Many people file their taxes online. The idea fraud would increase with online voting is unfounded. People can renew their driver's license online.

Let's put an end to this outdated way of counting votes... it is quite embarrassing.

Florida just seems like it can't get it's **** together.

The election was November 6th and some races are STILL undecided. What an absolute joke. We are not even talking about big times races:

So Utah's 4th district wont be decided until November 26th because Salt Lake County and Utah County have ballots still not counted.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/11/07/young-kim-slim-lead-gil-cisneros-oc-house-race/

Another disgrace. Young Kim was leading Gil Cisneros by 3,800 votes last week and is now behind 900 votes?

The solution is pretty clear to me. Online voting. Most people are comfortable providing their credit card and SSN info online. Many people file their taxes online. The idea fraud would increase with online voting is unfounded. People can renew their driver's license online.

Let's put an end to this outdated way of counting votes... it is quite embarrassing.

US voting is a disgrace? Tell us about the voting where you are from.

Florida just seems like it can't get it's **** together.

Florida is a big state.... but how in the heck can't Utah figure out an election in a district by know? We aren't even talking about a senator or governor race.

So Utah 4th district wont be decided until November 26th because Salt Alke County and Utah County have ballots still not counted.

This is amazing! Holy smokes! Vote counting in America became a disgrace in 2 years. There was no disgrace 2 years ago. Suddenly now after midterms vote counting is a disgrace. :2rofll: That's rich. Where y'all been?

Florida is a big state.... but how in the heck can't Utah figure out an election in a district by know? We aren't even talking about a senator or governor race.

So is California. Yet we already made our decision. I don't like it, but we made a decision.

This is amazing! Holy smokes! Vote counting in America became a disgrace in 2 years. There was no disgrace 2 years ago. Suddenly now after midterms vote counting is a disgrace. :2rofll: That's rich. Where y'all been?

I am just wondering why we are doing the same thing over and over again. Have you heard of survey monkey? Online voting can be done easily.

Whenever someone bitches about the vote count...it is because their side lost.

Booo hoooo.

Count every vote...because every vote counts.

I am just wondering why we are doing the same thing over and over again. Have you heard of survey monkey? Online voting can be done easily.

Online voting is not secure

There’s like 40 voters in the state of Utah but that’s higher than they can count.

When I vote I put an 'X' in a circle on a ballot, fold the ballot and drop it into a box.
Do you really want to vote on the internet?

I like the idea of voting onlinr, but who's going to check your ID?

Whenever someone bitches about the vote count...it is because their side lost.

Booo hoooo.

Count every vote...because every vote counts.
Absolutely ill-informed assertion.

Hell, our side has been consistently consistent, to highlight the point, as we have ALWAYS upheld legal, ONLY legal and legit voting. Legal voting being counted as what the other team calls voter suppression. Remember?

And has been calling it such since way before the '16 election.

You, however painfully, must also remember that it was we, our side, that overwhelmingly WON that last election. That victory creating previously unimaginable en masse butt hurtednesses... along with all this lasting distressingly full magnitudes longer than anybody could wager.

To an even lesser degree desire. Probably similar to one of my posts to a disdained liberal, but way way way waaaaaaaaay longer even.

Sorry, noncitizen votes do not count. Change the law maybe, but too late for this election. Yano?

Thus proving your post assertions solid in nose pinching stinky pigs. I would give it a five outta five of 'em. Hat tip. Be kinda like getting a ZERO on a test, project or quiz.

Hell, our side has been consistently consistent, to highlight the point, as we have ALWAYS upheld legal, ONLY legal and legit voting. Legal voting being counted as what the other team calls voter suppression. Remember?

You, however painfully, must also remember that it was we, our side, that overwhelmingly WON that last election. That victory creating previously unimaginable en masse butt hurtednesses... along with all this lasting distressingly full magnitudes longer than anybody could wager.

To an even lesser degree desire. Probably similar to one of my posts to a disdained liberal, but way way way waaaaaaaaay longer even.

Sorry, noncitizen votes do not count. Change the law maybe, but too late for this election. Yano?

Thus proving your post assertions solid in nose pinching stinky pigs. I would give it a five outta five of 'em. Hat tip. Be kinda like getting a ZERO on a test, project or quiz.

Overwhelmingly, really? :lamo

In my state the repugs tried to sue to stop the count of legally submitted ballots...because they were losing....typical.

The rest of your post is idiotic and inane.

In my state the repugs tried to sue to stop the count of legally submitted ballots...because they were losing....typical.

It is important to remember, voting is a privilege, not a right. Deceased people cannot vote. Minors cannot vote. Illegal aliens cannot vote. Homeless people cannot vote. Felons shouldn't be able to vote but some states feel it is necessary.

I kind of envision a secure website online where voters have to confirm their SSN and driver's license to vote. I wouldn't even mind a picture confirmation. My computer logs me in based on facial recognition so the technology is definitely there.

It is important to remember, voting is a privilege, not a right. Deceased people cannot vote. Minors cannot vote. Illegal aliens cannot vote. Homeless people cannot vote. Felons shouldn't be able to vote but some states feel it is necessary.

I kind of envision a secure website online where voters have to confirm their SSN and driver's license to vote. I wouldn't even mind a picture confirmation. My computer logs me in based on facial recognition so the technology is definitely there.

We have voter ID in my state.

Dems still won big....LOL

Overwhelmingly, really? :lamo
Yes.

Additional adjectives applicable might be: resounding, astounding, stunningly, shockwaving [the left], palliating... numerous others... all positive for our side.

Only one word is needed [tho many could be used in furtherance, to describe that traumatized come empty-handed to Jesus moment that the Democrat operatives anchoring/reporting/opinionating/consulting/promoting and covering up for their party of choice...] you know, when they realized Trump was going to upend the table and actually win. Won distinctly, Republicans had the House, Senate and the White House... now we de facto have the Supreme Court... will have it 6-3 soon enough. 306 to 232 landslide electorally.

You know, overwhelmingly.

The one word above, btw is...
Hilarious. Damned hilarious would actually be better, tho.

:applaud

The way forward might not be online voting, but we sure as **** need to do better work than this.

Red:
  • On one hand, I concur with your point that we should have efficient and effective vote tabulation protocols in all 50 states.
  • On the other hand, what's the rush? I think as long as election winners learn at least two weeks before they are expected to serve, all is well enough.
  • There are plausibly as may reasons why it takes as long as it does to get final results across all jurisdictions as there are jurisdictions that have autonomy over their voting procedures.
  • A key reason for the delay is the closeness of the elections, and the closeness is a reflection of political polarization, enthusiasm for or opposition to "this or that" policy measure, as well as for or against candidates/parties.

Blue:
Are they? I don't know. I'm these days far less comfortable than I used to be about providing any "sensitive" information online.

Indeed, when I learned of the GSA/OPM (whichever it was) hack, I bought a cheap PC that I use for one and only one purpose: accessing my finance-related websites and managing my finances and bills. That's all that computer has ever done and those are the only websites I've ever accessed using it. I don't even check email using it. It's the only PC I have that is on a completely separate network (Internet connection) from all the other computers in the house, and that pc is in a room that nobody but I can access. It's also the only pc and internet connection I turn off. I don't allow cookies to remain on it; no stored passwords or login IDs, etc.

Maybe I'm deluding myself in thinking my "sensitive" data is as safe as I can make it. Maybe others don't use similar procedures (though, to be honest, I when it comes to my "sensitive" information, I don't care what others do or don't do). I know mine is an imperfect solution, and maybe I've imposed upon myself more inconvenience than I need to, but it's part of my overall effort to mitigate as much risk as I can, and I feel comfortable that I've done as much as I can in that regard.

In contrast, the pc I'm using to write this post has never visited any of my personal finance sites. Even if this pc gets hacked, the only things the hackers will get are the useless passwords and other information that will do them no good beyond informing them of things that capture my interest for one reason or another.

Also, I mostly no longer purchase things online, but I will browse and collect goods/services information online, though I do occasionally check my phone account using the provider's phone app for doing so. I don't pay bills electronically over a pc or phone; my bank sends the payments directly from their systems.

And frankly, what would you do if:
  • You have charge cards that have no limit or very high limits?
  • You have six-figure lines of credit?
  • Your credit rating excellent?
  • You have fairly high cash account (checking/savings) balances?
I think you'd, as I do, put up with a bit of inconvenience to be as careful as you possibly can to reduce the risk that somebody obtains unauthorized access to your sensitive information.

In light of my above described risk aversion, as goes voting online, whether I'd do so depends on what information I'd have to provide in order to do so.

Well...

I have no idea what sw state, other than of constant utter confusion, that you may be describing. However, my state, Florida, is having a bit of trouble counting votes, too.

Well, not the whole state, not 65 counties, but the other two, the ones that seem to be a permanent flub, on purpose, due to incompetence or both... guess which party is in charge

Yep, them dirty ol demo-rats. Again. Same ones. Oh, and...

Being conspicuously ineloquent and sore about it isnt a proper, certainly not winning, debate response... you know that, right?

Yet I bet you renew your license online... why? Because you don't have to wait 2 hours at the DMV.

I had to go in last time to get a new picture took 10 minutes total

Back
Top Bottom