• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Vote counting = Disgrace

that's a bit different. it used to be that way here, too. you signed, and that was it. however, they didn't have "experts" checking your signature so that they could toss out your legitimate vote.

I don't understand how it's different, but whatever. No experts checking signatures here either.

Since there is no paper trail where I live now and the system can be hacked I don't see the difference.

There probably isn't much of one. However, most states still have paper ballots. Hopefully, that won't change.

I don't understand how it's different, but whatever. No experts checking signatures here either.

Other states are using signature abnormalities to disinfranchise voters.

The election was November 6th and some races are STILL undecided. What an absolute joke. We are not even talking about big times races:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/politics/mia-love-Utah-lead-trump/index.html

So Utah's 4th district wont be decided until November 26th because Salt Lake County and Utah County have ballots still not counted.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/11/07/young-kim-slim-lead-gil-cisneros-oc-house-race/

Another disgrace. Young Kim was leading Gil Cisneros by 3,800 votes last week and is now behind 900 votes?

The United States is not Vanuatu or Palau.

The solution is pretty clear to me. Online voting. Most people are comfortable providing their credit card and SSN info online. Many people file their taxes online. The idea fraud would increase with online voting is unfounded. People can renew their driver's license online.

Let's put an end to this outdated way of counting votes... it is quite embarrassing.

So, let's see here.....

Actually counting all the votes, and having the result of that being that Kim is now behind where she was previously ahead, is a 'disgrace'. Yeah. Sure.

Online voting is the most asinine, jackass idea I've heard in a long time.

Other states are using signature abnormalities to disinfranchise voters.

Isn't that another reason for online voting?

E-sign
Confirmation receipt that you voted

Pretty easy and simple stuff.

Isn't that another reason for online voting?

E-sign
Confirmation receipt that you voted

Pretty easy and simple stuff.

If we can make online voting unhackable, that would be a step forward. I don't think that we're even close to that at this point, though.

Anti-War is a bad thing?....If more politicians were anti-war there wouldn't be 4,400 Dead US Military from Iraq...Who died for nothing...
Didnt have to be a waste at all.

Same could have happened with victories over German and Japan with WW2 and South Korea after the Korean Conflict...we could have just left those like we did Iraq and Vietnam.

But we didnt and those nations are all thriving to this day.

If we can make online voting unhackable, that would be a step forward. I don't think that we're even close to that at this point, though.

If we did that no one would carry a credit card, there would be no online banking, the IRS wouldn't be online etc etc.
Everything is hackable including uploading vote totals an paperless voting machines. If part of the system is online then the whole system is vulnerable.

A closed network within each polling station would do that. I like the hybrid system I've used. It's a large paper ballot that is filled in by hand and then fed into a computer that gives an up to date and accurate count immediately. Kind of like when you take a test in school where you fill in the bubbles. If a small rural town can manage it, I don't see why bigger populations couldn't.

A closed network within each polling station would do that. I like the hybrid system I've used. It's a large paper ballot that is filled in by hand and then fed into a computer that gives an up to date and accurate count immediately. Kind of like when you take a test in school where you fill in the bubbles. If a small rural town can manage it, I don't see why bigger populations couldn't.

i tend to prefer paper ballots, as well. where i live now, we have no-reciept electronic voting machines that look like a TRS-80 running BASIC. when i hit the button to cast the ballot, it could be going down the memory hole for all that i know.

i tend to prefer paper ballots, as well. where i live now, we have no-reciept electronic voting machines that look like a TRS-80 running BASIC. when i hit the button to cast the ballot, it could be going down the memory hole for all that i know.

True, but I think we'd find fault with any system, even paper. The people counting these paper ballots are not infallible either. I don't know if there will ever be a fail safe method. :shrug:

True, but I think we'd find fault with any system, even paper. The people counting these paper ballots are not infallible either. I don't know if there will ever be a fail safe method. :shrug:

probably not. i'd like to see incremental improvements, though. things like registering Americans to vote when they enroll in Social Security at birth, for example. also, having to wait in line for an hour or more indicates a problem that needs to be addressed, IMO.

I believe democrats favor voting machines which do not leave a trail for verification. I have heard of voting machines which could be manipulated by anyone by just pressing a button on the back to run up a fraudulent vote count. I have also heard of machines which could be tampered with and manipulated from another location by simply inserting a control disc in the right location. We should never trust uncivilized barbarians to do the honorable thing when it comes to protecting voter security.

I believe democrats favor voting machines which do not leave a trail for verification. I have heard of voting machines which could be manipulated by anyone by just pressing a button on the back to run up a fraudulent vote count. I have also heard of machines which could be tampered with and manipulated from another location by simply inserting a control disc in the right location. We should never trust uncivilized barbarians to do the honorable thing when it comes to protecting voter security.

i live in a Trumpist supermajority state, so i doubt that the partisan lean of a state has much to do with it.

i live in a Trumpist supermajority state, so i doubt that the partisan lean of a state has much to do with it.

Voter fraud tends is not commonly reported in rural areas with responsible oversight of elections boards.

Voter fraud tends is not commonly reported in rural areas with responsible oversight of elections boards.

that makes me feel a lot better about voting on an old monochrome standup Atari with no receipt in a heavily red state. thanks.

that makes me feel a lot better about voting on an old monochrome standup Atari with no receipt in a heavily red state. thanks.

Corrupted voting machines are a problem rarely considered by American voters, but the problem did surface in recent elections with widespread reports of machines illegally changing votes right in front of voters. What caused the glitches and what was done about the problem? The truth may be hard to come by with regards to those questions.

This is from the NY Times:

The Myth of the Hacker-Proof Voting Machine

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/magazine/the-myth-of-the-hacker-proof-voting-machine.html

Eckhardt and his colleagues concluded that the problem with the machines made by Election Systems & Software (ES&S), was likely a simple calibration error. But the experts were alarmed by something else they discovered. Examining the election-management computer at the county's office -- the machines used to tally official elections results and, in many counties, to program voting machines -- they found that remote-access software had been installed on it.

Remote-access software is a type of program that system administrators use to access and control computers remotely over the internet or over an organization's internal network. ...
The software, it turns out, was being used not by a hacker but by an authorized county contractor from home. ...

Venango County, PA. David A. Eckhardt.

Flipping votes? Possibly.

It is important to remember, voting is a privilege, not a right. Deceased people cannot vote. Minors cannot vote. Illegal aliens cannot vote. Homeless people cannot vote. Felons shouldn't be able to vote but some states feel it is necessary.

I kind of envision a secure website online where voters have to confirm their SSN and driver's license to vote. I wouldn't even mind a picture confirmation. My computer logs me in based on facial recognition so the technology is definitely there.

Goodness - voting is a right. Pointing out that the right to vote is withheld from some people does not transform voting into a privilege.

Corrupted voting machines are a problem rarely considered by American voters, but the problem did surface in recent elections with widespread reports of machines illegally changing votes right in front of voters. What caused the glitches and what was done about the problem? The truth may be hard to come by with regards to those questions.

This is from the NY Times:

The Myth of the Hacker-Proof Voting Machine

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/magazine/the-myth-of-the-hacker-proof-voting-machine.html

Eckhardt and his colleagues concluded that the problem with the machines made by Election Systems & Software (ES&S), was likely a simple calibration error. But the experts were alarmed by something else they discovered. Examining the election-management computer at the county's office -- the machines used to tally official elections results and, in many counties, to program voting machines -- they found that remote-access software had been installed on it.

Remote-access software is a type of program that system administrators use to access and control computers remotely over the internet or over an organization's internal network. ...
The software, it turns out, was being used not by a hacker but by an authorized county contractor from home. ...

Venango County, PA. David A. Eckhardt.

Flipping votes? Possibly.

it's definitely a potential problem, and we aren't devoting nearly enough resources to it. the machine that i voted on looked fairly ancient as electronics go.

Overseeing 200 votes is easier than 100,000

Goodness - voting is a right. Pointing out that the right to vote is withheld from some people does not transform voting into a privilege.

Voting is not a right. It is not in the Bill of rights.

Do me a favor Jasper and stop making a fool out of yourself. It is really getting old replying to misinformation and plain.... ignorance. You know, I have other things to do.

Voting is a privilege based on:

age;
literacy;
long residency;
and criminal past

Are you saying a voter in Ohio should be able to vote in elections in Florida, Kansas, or Texas? Of course not.

Last edited:
Voting is not a right. It is not in the Bill of rights.

Correct, it's only mentioned in the Constitution a half dozen other places. Let's start with the 15th:

Amendment XV
Section 1.
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Do me a favor Jasper and stop making a fool out of yourself. It is really getting old replying to misinformation and plain.... ignorance. You know, I have other things to do.

Voting is a privilege based on:

age;
literacy;
long residency;
and criminal past

Are you saying a voter in Ohio should be able to vote in elections in Florida, Kansas, or Texas? Of course not.

LOL.

Back
Top Bottom