• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

U.S. traffic accident sparks riots in Afghanistan

LiberalNation

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Things seem to be heating up in Afghanistan. With all the bombings that killed taliban and civilians and now this. People over there don't seem to be to happy.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan - A deadly traffic accident Monday involving U.S. troops sparked the worst rioting in the Afghan capital since the fall of the Taliban regime, with hundreds of protesters looting shops and shouting "Death to America!" At least eight people were killed and 107 injured, an official said.

Witnesses said that Afghan and U.S. troops opened fire to quell protesters. A U.S. spokesman said American troops shot into the air, and AP Television News video showed a machine gun on a Humvee firing over the crowd as the vehicle sped away. But a Kabul police chief said U.S. troops had fired into the crowd.

The unrest started after three U.S. Humvee vehicles coming into the city from the outskirts rammed into a rush-hour traffic jam, hitting several civilian cars, witnesses said.

A Kabul police chief, Sher Shah Usafi, said another person was killed when U.S. troops fired into a crowd of stone-throwing protesters soon after the crash.

Col. Thomas Collins, a coalition spokesman, confirmed there was gunfire at the scene, but said coalition personnel in one military vehicle only fired over the crowd.

"This was a tragic incident and we deeply regret any deaths or injuries resulting from this incident," Collins said in a statement. "We will determine the facts regarding the incident and cooperate fully with Afghan authorities."

Afghans often complain about what they call the aggressive driving tactics of the U.S. military. Convoys often pass through crowded areas at high speed and sometimes disregard road rules. The U.S. military says such tactics are necessary to protect the troops from attack.

"Today's demonstration is because Americans killed innocent people. We will not stop until foreigners leave the city. We are looking for foreigners to kill," one protester in his late 20s, Gulam Ghaus, said near where rioters burned a police post.

Last edited:
You want our troops to drive slower so that the enemy has a chance to hit them?

Nope, but it is disheartening that things seem to be getting worse in Afghanistan. Things are very tense there if one traffic accident by our soldiers can sparks a huge riots.

Making mistakes that kill civilians turn on the fence Afghans into anti-American terrorists.

LiberalNation said:
Nope, but it is disheartening that things seem to be getting worse in Afghanistan. Things are very tense there if one traffic accident by our soldiers can sparks a huge riots.

Making mistakes that kill civilians turn on the fence Afghans into anti-American terrorists.
I think the so called fence sitter afghans are not actually fence sitters but really terrorist claiming to be fence sitters.While I was in the republic of Korea I have seen many anti-American protesters and every negative incident involving a soldier they used it for their anti-american cause.A young Korean girl was even ran over by a Army vehicle but there was no terrorist just angry protesters who used this as a excuse to fuel their cause.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP303822.htm

...and now the Afghani government is asking for the US to prosecute the drivers? Civilian deaths are regretable, but if the Afganis want to use that tactic, how many hundreds of thousands of soviet troops do they want to prosecute as well?

the sad thing to me is, there are those in America that claim to support our troops, that will quietly hope they are to blame.
they will give the bennifit of the doubt to the afghanies rather than our troops.

there are also those that claim we have forgotten all about afghanistan since we went into iraq.

I wonder what those people think about this situation? I wonder if they might like to retract those statements.

I said all along, the only people that had forgotten about afghanistan were the MEDIA.

I think that we all need to take a long drink from the well of reality.

Things are already very tense there if they riot by the thousands and kill eachother and beat themselves with chains and shout death to America becuase of some unpopular cartoons printed by a Danish newspaper. :roll:

""Today's demonstration is because Americans killed innocent people. We will not stop until foreigners leave the city. We are looking for foreigners to kill," one protester in his late 20s, Gulam Ghaus, said near where rioters burned a police post. "

Jeez, listen to this guy.
"We are looking for foreigners to kill"
Lets go kill innocent people because some American's MIGHT have done something wrong.

It is an excuse to hate and this hate that has nothing to do with America.

BodiSatva said:
It is an excuse to hate and this hate that has nothing to do with America.
It was an excuse, but you have to understand they live in a very poor backwards society. They have been trained since childhood to act in the name and defense of Allah and continue throughout their lives to have their religious figures urging them on. What can you really expect from something like the cartoon scandal with such people? We won’t be able to change them.

You’re wrong about it not having anything to do with America. Our policies and actions do cause some of this, not all but some. Afghans are people too, some see their government has inept and puppets to the west. No person with any respect for their own country and culture would want to tolerate that.

There are mob riots everywhere and they occur for a reason. The people in them are just frustrated looking to take their anger out on someone whether that person is causing their grief or not. Fix the frustration and you fix the mob mentality rioting where people take there anger out on any precieved enemy.

:rofl

Comon thats kinda funny. A traffic accident so lets riot, kill people and loot stores. Someone needs to check the wiring.

The fact is the soldiers should have stopped and tried to talk calmly to the enraged crazy crowd so they could come to an aggrement. And after the crowd got done dismemvering there bodies THen maybe they would have just skipped on home for tea

Calm2Chaos said:
:The fact is the soldiers should have stopped and tried to talk calmly to the enraged crazy crowd so they could come to an aggrement. And after the crowd got done dismemvering there bodies THen maybe they would have just skipped on home for tea
No one suggested that, you can't talk to an angry mob. I simply suggest we use a bit more diplomacy in our nation building adventures so things like this don't happen so often. See talking to people and actually listing to their grievances can help to prevent out of control frustration that ends in riots some times.

Mr. LiberalNation

I agree. It was an excuse.

I understand. Life sucks. It is worse for the Invisible Children in Uganda though. http://www.invisiblechildren.com/home.php

I understand. It is tough to alter the percption of the brainwashed.

You are correct. This does have something to do with America, but not much. It has more to do with their culture...that in itself is another issue, of course.

There are mob riots everywhere and they occur for a reason. The people in them are just frustrated looking to take their anger out on someone whether that person is causing their grief or not. Fix the frustration and you fix the mob mentality rioting where people take there anger out on any precieved enemy.

Almost good enough to be a Goebbels quote. :shock:

LiberalNation said:
No one suggested that, you can't talk to an angry mob. I simply suggest we use a bit more diplomacy in our nation building adventures so things like this don't happen so often. See talking to people and actually listing to their grievances can help to prevent out of control frustration that ends in riots some times.

It was an "ACCIDENT". Meaning all the diplomacy in the world wasn't going to stop it. The fact that they react this way is the real issue. I think this opitimizes the mindset of destruction these people have.

ProudAmerican said:
I said all along, the only people that had forgotten about afghanistan were the MEDIA.

That's a good point. But by the media forgetting it helps other people kinda forget too. Obviously they never really forget, but you know what I mean.

Yea for mass media.

:roll:

Back
Top Bottom