• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. tops 5 million confirmed virus cases, to Europe’s alarm

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From FOX 5 (San Diego)

Perhaps nowhere outside the U.S. is America’s bungled virus response viewed with more consternation than in Italy, which was ground zero of Europe's epidemic. Italians were unprepared when the outbreak exploded in February, and the country still has one of the world’s highest official death tolls at over 35,000.

But after a strict nationwide, 10-week lockdown, vigilant tracing of new clusters and general acceptance of mask mandates and social distancing, Italy has become a model of virus containment. “Don’t they care about their health?” a mask-clad Patrizia Antonini asked about people in the United States as she walked with friends along the banks of Lake Bracciano, north of Rome. “They need to take our precautions. ... They need a real lockdown."

Much of the incredulity in Europe stems from the fact that America had the benefit of time, European experience and medical know-how to treat the virus that the continent itself didn’t have when the first COVID-19 patients started filling intensive care units.

More than four months into a sustained outbreak, the U.S. reached the 5 million mark, according to the running count kept by Johns Hopkins University. Health officials believe the actual number is perhaps 10 times higher, or closer to 50 million, given testing limitations and the fact that as many as 40% of all those who are infected have no symptoms.

“We Italians always saw America as a model," said Massimo Franco, a columnist with daily Corriere della Sera. “But with this virus we've discovered a country that is very fragile, with bad infrastructure and a public health system that is nonexistent."

COMMENT:-

Europeans are worried about the effects of COVID-19 on Americans. Mr. Trump (in paraphrase) says "Send the non-economically productive little buggers off into crowded conditions without adequate safeguards. Who cares if a couple of kids die - what's REALLY important is getting profits back up to where I and the top 10% of the American socioeconomic pyramid want them to be.".

PS - <SARC>[If I had seen this anyplace other than FOX News, I'd be 100% certain that it was nothing but a bunch of lies spread by the Clinton/Obama conspiracy to overturn the results of the 2016 election. Now I'm only 96.7% certain, but I'll wait until Mr. Trump tells me what **T*H*E** **T*R*U*T*H** is</SARC>[.

From FOX 5 (San Diego)

Perhaps nowhere outside the U.S. is America’s bungled virus response viewed with more consternation than in Italy, which was ground zero of Europe's epidemic. Italians were unprepared when the outbreak exploded in February, and the country still has one of the world’s highest official death tolls at over 35,000.

But after a strict nationwide, 10-week lockdown, vigilant tracing of new clusters and general acceptance of mask mandates and social distancing, Italy has become a model of virus containment. “Don’t they care about their health?” a mask-clad Patrizia Antonini asked about people in the United States as she walked with friends along the banks of Lake Bracciano, north of Rome. “They need to take our precautions. ... They need a real lockdown."

Much of the incredulity in Europe stems from the fact that America had the benefit of time, European experience and medical know-how to treat the virus that the continent itself didn’t have when the first COVID-19 patients started filling intensive care units.

More than four months into a sustained outbreak, the U.S. reached the 5 million mark, according to the running count kept by Johns Hopkins University. Health officials believe the actual number is perhaps 10 times higher, or closer to 50 million, given testing limitations and the fact that as many as 40% of all those who are infected have no symptoms.

“We Italians always saw America as a model," said Massimo Franco, a columnist with daily Corriere della Sera. “But with this virus we've discovered a country that is very fragile, with bad infrastructure and a public health system that is nonexistent."

COMMENT:-

Europeans are worried about the effects of COVID-19 on Americans. Mr. Trump (in paraphrase) says "Send the non-economically productive little buggers off into crowded conditions without adequate safeguards. Who cares if a couple of kids die - what's REALLY important is getting profits back up to where I and the top 10% of the American socioeconomic pyramid want them to be.".

PS - <SARC>[If I had seen this anyplace other than FOX News, I'd be 100% certain that it was nothing but a bunch of lies spread by the Clinton/Obama conspiracy to overturn the results of the 2016 election. Now I'm only 96.7% certain, but I'll wait until Mr. Trump tells me what **T*H*E** **T*R*U*T*H** is</SARC>[.

Five million out of well over three hundred million? That doesn't sound so bad to me?

Europe should take a chill pill.

Re: U.S. tops 5 million confirmed virus cases, to Europe’s alarm

Five million out of well over three hundred million? That doesn't sound so bad to me?

For some reason, both the MSM and members of this Forum keep screaming about the "number of cases."

My understanding was that all it means is the number of people who have tested positive.

According to this CDC website as of today (08/09/20) there were 4,974,959 cases and 161,284 deaths. Cases in the U.S. | CDC

On a different page as of today (08/09/20) there were 65,756,307 tests completed, with 5,888,400 positive test result. 9% of the total. Testing in the U.S. | CDC

Strangely, the CDC is not reporting recoveries. (At least I could not find it searching the website.)

But this old site which only has data up to 08/07/20(?) reports 2,663,408 already recovered, while reporting 164,376 deaths. U.S. County Coronavirus (COVID-19) Interactive Map and Tracker

There is clearly some disconnect between positive tests, cases, recovery, and death figures.

Last edited:

This post proves you have zero empathy and don't give a **** how many get sick and die as long as you can somehow try and blame the libs.

For some reason, both the MSM and members of this Forum keep screaming about the "number of cases."

My understanding was that all it means is the number of people who have tested positive.

According to this CDC website as of today (08/09/20) there were 4,974,959 cases and 161,284 deaths. Cases in the U.S. | CDC

On a different page as of today (08/09/20) there were 65,756,307 tests completed, with 5,888,400 positive test result. 9% of the total. Testing in the U.S. | CDC

Strangely, the CDC is not reporting recoveries. (At least I could not find it searching the website.)

But this old site which only has data up to 08/07/20(?) reports 2,663,408 already recovered, while reporting 164,376 deaths. U.S. County Coronavirus (COVID-19) Interactive Map and Tracker

There is clearly some disconnect between positive tests, cases, recovery, and death figures.

under 10% for tests is what the WHO reccomends that is good anyway

This post proves you have zero empathy and don't give a **** how many get sick and die as long as you can somehow try and blame the libs.

Has nothing to do with empathy. It has to do with perspective and hyperbole. And I said nothing about any libs.

Take a chill pill.

Today’s update of the COVID-19 data is available at Daily Statistical Summary of COVID-19. That thread DOES list "recoveries" and that number is updated daily.

To save you some time, here are four of the graphics from today's entries.

20-08-10 A1 - G8 + CHINA COVID.jpg

20-08-10 A3 - Deaths by Clearance.jpg

20-08-10 A4 - G8+China NORMALIZED.jpg

20-08-10 B1 - COVID vs Other Causes.JPG

plus one (that shows the relative successes/failures in relation to "ability to pay" [using PPP GDP per capita as an indicator]) that doesn't normally get posted

20-08-10 Z1 - GDP Adjusted Death Chance.JPG

The last table shows what percentage a randomly selected person in the listed areas has of dying from COVID-19 compared to a randomly selected person in the US does.

Back
Top Bottom