• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Supreme Court Spurns Bid for Religious Opt-Out From Vaccine Rule

Liberal7360

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I am glad the Supreme Court chose health and safety in this case.

It looks to me that the court is willing to strike down federal mandates but isn't willing to do the same with state mandates.

Maybe because the precedence was already set over 100 years ago with small pox.

I'm just sad that mandates are even needed. I don't support government mandates. It should be a personal choice but I am very surprised to see so many people make the bad choice. Especially those who work in health care.

If you don't want to be vaccinated fine. Just don't expect to be able to work in certain careers. You are violating other people's right to not get infected with the virus and possibly die.

I support the fourth amendment and choice.

People have the choice to not get vaccinated but other people have the right to choose to not be around unvaccinated people.

while i support religious rights and in this country my rights as a Christian are 100% protected

"exemptions" are tricky because the majority of times i have seen people try for them its based on bigotry and or hypocrisy and not their religion.

Sothis is why its hard to get them and defend them and it should be

I am glad the Supreme Court chose health and safety in this case.

It looks to me that the court is willing to strike down federal mandates but isn't willing to do the same with state mandates.

Maybe because the precedence was already set over 100 years ago with small pox.

I'm just sad that mandates are even needed. I don't support government mandates. It should be a personal choice but I am very surprised to see so many people make the bad choice. Especially those who work in health care.

If you don't want to be vaccinated fine. Just don't expect to be able to work in certain careers. You are violating other people's right to not get infected with the virus and possibly die.

I support the fourth amendment and choice.

People have the choice to not get vaccinated but other people have the right to choose to not be around unvaccinated people.

An interesting question is whether or not the US federal government can even CONSIDER a person's religion when crafting its laws.

After all,

IF "I am exempt from the laws requiring vaccination because I am a devout believer in the _[fill in the blank]_ religion which mandates differently.",​
THEN ""I am exempt from the laws prohibiting infant sacrifice because I am a devout believer in the _[fill in the blank]_ religion which mandates differently."​

is equally valid.

An interesting question is whether or not the US federal government can even CONSIDER a person's religion when crafting its laws.

After all,

IF "I am exempt from the laws requiring vaccination because I am a devout believer in the _[fill in the blank]_ religion which mandates differently.",​
THEN ""I am exempt from the laws prohibiting infant sacrifice because I am a devout believer in the _[fill in the blank]_ religion which mandates differently."​

is equally valid.
Not to mention my favorite: I am exempt from paying taxes because my religion teaches me that paying taxes is an abomination in the eyes of Almighty God, worthy of condemning all those who do to eternal damnation.

Will the USSC save me from eternal damnation? I don't think so.

After all,

is equally valid.
It is not. One is what you're doing regarding your own body, while the other is what you're doing to someone else's body.

It is not. One is what you're doing regarding your own body, while the other is what you're doing to someone else's body.
Sorry, but semantically (and legally), all forms of "I am exempt from the laws _[fill in the blank]_ because I am a devout believer in the _[fill in the blank]_ religion which mandates differently." are identical.

Many people chose not get vaccinated during a pandemic on this Earth and they paid the ultimate price.

That's just messed up.

Infectious disease inherently affects the bodies of others. Literally by definition.
Yet it's not guaranteed to, unlike the immediate effect a sacrifice would. Getting vaccinated improves your odds of significantly surviving covid. Being sacrificed guarantees no such thing.

Yet it's not guaranteed to, unlike the immediate effect a sacrifice would. Getting vaccinated improves your odds of significantly surviving covid. Being sacrificed guarantees no such thing.
A difference of degree, not of principle.

A difference of degree, not of principle.
The comparison was faulty in logic. I don't know what's so difficult about acknowledging that.

I also support health insurance companies' right to jack up the rates for unvaccinated people, just like they do for people who smoke.

I do too. I can't agree with you more.

After all,

is equally valid.
If they can't consider it, then there are no exemptions for religious beliefs.

Not to mention my favorite: I am exempt from paying taxes because my religion teaches me that paying taxes is an abomination in the eyes of Almighty God, worthy of condemning all those who do to eternal damnation.

Will the USSC save me from eternal damnation? I don't think so.
I would join that church!

If they can't consider it, then there are no exemptions for religious beliefs.
The problem is the USSC has already set precedence in the Hobby Lobby decision. If you have a deeply held religious belief, you do not have to obey laws that run contrary to that belief. you get an exemption.

A "guarantee" doesn't really have anything to do with the principle. If I build bombs in my house, I'm not "guaranteed" to blow up my house and threaten my neighbors if my house explodes, but does that mean if my religion calls for me to make bombs that I should be allowed to do so because blowing up my neighbors' houses is only a possibility?

If my religion doesn't recognize the power of the state to regulate private behavior, I answer only to whatever God I choose, should I be able to drive 100mph through a school zone, because I'm not guaranteed to run over a child or parents? If my religion requires me to be armed at all times to protect myself and my family, can I then disregard limits on where/when I can carry an AR-15 because doing so certainly doesn't "guarantee" that I'll use it to shoot a bunch of innocents? Etc...........

while i support religious rights and in this country my rights as a Christian are 100% protected

"exemptions" are tricky because the majority of times i have seen people try for them its based on bigotry and or hypocrisy and not their religion.

Really? Prayer in school ring a bell?

Sorry I have no idea what you are asking in relation to my post
You said "...in this country my rights as a Christian are 100% protected". You can pray in school, but you can't be led in prayer. Seems like your rights are not 100% protected.

Most if not all major religious leaders have touted the vaccine. If the leaders don't shun the vaccines, then the religious followers have no excuse IMO. Even the dang Pope got the vaccine and encouraged all Catholics to get them yet there are Catholics who are attempting to use the "fetal cell" excuse where there are none

You said "...in this country my rights as a Christian are 100% protected".
correct
You can pray in school
correct as long as im not disrupting others
, but you can't be led in prayer.
explain what you are talking about here and why you think its a right that we have and is not protected?
Seems like your rights are not 100% protected.
Yes they are, there is no right that i have that is not 100% protected

Last edited:
Most if not all major religious leaders have touted the vaccine. If the leaders don't shun the vaccines, then the religious followers have no excuse IMO. Even the dang Pope got the vaccine and encouraged all Catholics to get them yet there are Catholics who are attempting to use the "fetal cell" excuse where there are none
agreed 100%

but even if leaders did I still wouldnt support exemptions to be so easily given out based on that alone because again, typically the hypocrisy is easily exposed and its not a real request for exemption but a bigoted and or political one that has no religious merit

It's complete garbage, unless they are Jehovah witnesses or something like that where they don't believe in medicine. And all the supposed "religious exemption" people are all already vaccinated, so where does it say I'm against the covid vaccine mandate when even the red states have school vaccine requirements and have had it for a long time?

It's bullshit like every other thing republicans push.

Can a muslim claim honor killings should be legal because its their religious belief? No, so its garbage people can hide behind their religion to not follow the rules and laws.

But of course, this hack court will allow it, particularly the Christian Taliban queen

My observations have always been that they find something they don't want to do, and then work back from there to justify why they don't have to because of their religion, so far as some of the vaccine reticence. To me it shouldn't be a matter of it conflicting with religion or not. It's a matter of even a secular person being allowed to reject having forced medical treatments on them, misguided or not.

Back
Top Bottom