• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. shifts approach to deporting illegal immigrants

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The Obama administration is changing the federal immigration enforcement strategy in ways that reduce the threat of deportation for millions of illegal immigrants, even as states such as Arizona, Colorado, Virginia, Ohio and Texas are pushing to accelerate deportations.
The changes focus enforcement on immigrants who have committed serious crimes, an effort to unclog immigration courts and detention centers. A record backlog of deportation cases has forced immigrants to wait an average 459 days for their hearings, according to an Aug. 12 report by Syracuse University's Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC), which analyzes government data.
Among the recent changes:

• Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Director John Morton ordered agency officials on Aug. 20 to begin dismissing deportation cases against people who haven't committed serious crimes and have credible immigration applications pending.

• A proposed directive from Morton posted on ICE's website for public comment last month would generally prohibit police from using misdemeanor traffic stops to send people to ICE. Traffic stops have led to increased deportations in recent years, according to Jessica Vaughan, director of policy studies at the Center for Immigration Studies, a think tank whose research supports tighter enforcement.

The directive said exceptions would be made in certain cases, such as when immigrants have serious criminal records.
U.S. shifts approach to deporting illegal immigrants - USATODAY.com

Now while actual deports are up, releases are up too. The fact ICE lets even one illegal go is a disgrace.

U.S. shifts approach to deporting illegal immigrants - USATODAY.com

Now while actual deports are up, releases are up too. The fact ICE lets even one illegal go is a disgrace.

We're doing THAT when we should be doing THIS:

Wal-Mart Pays Record Immigration Fine
Author: Robert Banta
Organization: Banta Immigration Law
Newsletter: Employment and Labor Update - April 2005
Wal-Mart's recent $11 million civil fine for alleged immigration violations is the largest ever paid by Corporate America. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials also announced that subcontractors providing the floor cleaning crews in question to Wal-Mart plead guilty to criminal immigration charges and will pay a total of $4 million in fines.

Seems to me GW tried to get it right.

We're doing THAT when we should be doing THIS:

Seems to me GW tried to get it right.

LOL 11 million in fines.. from Walmart? HAHAHAHAHHA.. it should have been 25% of its turnover, then they might have learned their lesson... 11 million is like a few hours of profit for them pft. So no, GW got it wrong, yet again.

LOL 11 million in fines.. from Walmart? HAHAHAHAHHA.. it should have been 25% of its turnover, then they might have learned their lesson... 11 million is like a few hours of profit for them pft. So no, GW got it wrong, yet again.

To WalMart it is a drop in the bucket. However, it was the largest fine in history ever levied against a company for hiring/contracting with illegal immigrants. Along with the fine came attorneys' fees and bad publicity. My post was my opinion of the approach the Obama White House is taking on immigration. That you used it as an opportunity to Bush Bash embarrasses you. Link for the largest fine levied during Obama's tenure, please?

Oh, wait. That'd be here, the total levied on 24 companies:

Highest Ever Immigration Fine Levied on Texas Companies!
Many companies in Texas were found to be hiring undocumented migrants and have been fined a sum of more than $600000 from the last October. Here, it might have been that these firms were not able to keep up with the rules and regulations pertaining to immigration. Off these, some of them led to criminal prosecutions as per the Federal Records.
http://blog.abhinav.com/highest-ever-immigration-fine-levied-on-texas-companies/

Take your bragging rights and go home.

Last edited:
To WalMart it is a drop in the bucket. However, it was the largest fine in history ever levied against a company for hiring/contracting with illegal immigrants. Along with the fine came attorneys' fees and bad publicity. My post was my opinion of the approach the Obama White House is taking on immigration. That you used it as an opportunity to Bush Bash embarrasses you. Link for the largest fine levied during Obama's tenure, please?

Oh, wait. That'd be here, the total levied on 24 companies:

Highest Ever Immigration Fine Levied on Texas Companies!

Take your bragging rights and go home.

I never said Obama did any better, I just pointed out the idiotic nature of saying GW did something good when it was in no way enough and no different that what is happening now in many ways. 11 million is peanuts.. they earned as much in the time we have been debating this for god sake. It should have been 1.1 billion then we could talk about a fitting fine.

My opinion has always been to hit the people who want to hire illegals with huge fines and consequences so that the cost of doing so is too high and hence they would stop it. Walmart probably made a ton of money with what they did.

I never said Obama did any better, I just pointed out the idiotic nature of saying GW did something good when it was in no way enough and no different that what is happening now in many ways. 11 million is peanuts.. they earned as much in the time we have been debating this for god sake. It should have been 1.1 billion then we could talk about a fitting fine.

My opinion has always been to hit the people who want to hire illegals with huge fines and consequences so that the cost of doing so is too high and hence they would stop it. Walmart probably made a ton of money with what they did.

You and I agree, then. The approach to stopping illegal immigration is to penalize the companies who hire them. Obama's approach seems to be a different one. I like GW's much better regardless.

While I was all set to post: "GDIT!!!!! Hate it when I'm wrong." I won't be doing that. Just because I left out the word "immigration" doesn't cost me points. ;-)

Ah, I see, I posted that before you added the immigration bit, match point to you.

So far I don't remember the last Person in the White House who was doing the right thing with ILLEGAL ALIENS going back to ReaganCarter and farther back.

I just want everyone to enforce the damn laws you they took and oath to enforce or be removed from any office for not obeying the laws.

II would go further and say that I want Mayors and City Councilpersons given 30 days to obey the laws and shut down Sanctuary Cities and enforce the laws or face 2 years in Federal Prison.

I am sick to death of all this PC BS and one of those is calling Illegal Aliens Immigrants.

We need to take our Country back before the Illegals out number us in places like California, damn it all.

You and I agree, then. The approach to stopping illegal immigration is to penalize the companies who hire them. Obama's approach seems to be a different one. I like GW's much better regardless.

No we are not in agreement on everything. Obama's approach is no different than it was under Bush and Republican controlled congress. Is that a problem, of course, but playing selective partisan politics like this is just as bad as the US immigration policies. The Republicans had 6 years of full control and did NOTHING, and now it all of a sudden is a huge problem? The core of the problem is not that illegals are coming to the US, that will never change. The core of the problem is that they are finding work in the US and the penalty for hiring an illegal is far far far far too low.

There are two very easy solutions to the problem.. put in a national ID program that is required to get bank accounts, housing, and jobs and so on, and of course huge mega fines for anyone that hires an illegal.. Then your illegal problem will go down to manageable level. And it will be a hell more affordable than a multi billion dollar wall that has to be kept in service.

The amounts of the fines are pathetic. Just goes to show that government supports business over border security.

Fining a company that makes $10B in pure profit annually $11 million is a joke. These companies have no real incentive to alter employment practices, and as usual tax money is being wasted going after individual illegals. If there is a leak in a barrel, do you sit there trying to gather the water that is running out of it, or do you plug the hole? The hole is the companies, not the border itself.

Business should be the primary focus. If illegals can't make money then there will be no reason for them to come.

I just want everyone to enforce the damn laws you they took and oath to enforce or be removed from any office for not obeying the laws.

Agreed.
I am sick to death of all this PC BS and one of those is calling Illegal Aliens Immigrants.

This I can't agree with you on.

The basic geographical definition of an immigrant is not hinged upon the legality or illegality of the migration, but simply "a person who comes to a country where they were not born in order to settle there" (wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn) - it is whether the person is a legal or illegal immigrant that depends on whether or not the laws were followed.

Last edited:

So, your view on this 100% internal US matter is that companies who hire illegals should be punished severly?

They are just trying to use their limited resources in the most effective way by targeting the most dangerous people. Law enforcement does it all the time and there's nothing wrong with it, as its impossible to enforce every law and catch every criminal. The same way a person will always be able "get away" with speeding on a highway an illegal immigrant will always be able to cross into the US, its not a problem that we can solve as it remove it completely its something that has to be managed and kept under control.

While you can argue, and I would agree, that border protection needs MORE funding, I can't disagree that they are focusing their efforts on the illegal immigrants who are criminals, other than the crime of being here illegally. For example if you had to pick one man to deport, would it be the guy who's just going to work on farm or the drug smuggler? I'd deal with the drug smuggler myself before the crop picker.

So, your view on this 100% internal US matter is that companies who hire illegals should be punished severly?

Illegal immigration is not an internal US thing, it happens all over the place. Some countries are better than others to deal with it, but the US is one of the worst. My own home country deals it with by requiring everyone to have a national ID, and without it you cant function at all in society. We also punish those that hire illegals by huge fines and even seizing businesses. Hence our illegal problem is minimal. At the end of the day, illegals come for a better life and that includes work, and if there is no work (for whatever reason) then illegals dont come. Now unless you are willing to throw away billions of dollars a year on a big ass fence across thousands of miles, manned by troops every hundred feet, then go ahead, but it wont solve your problem since the border aint the only place illegals come over. And blaming illegals solely and going after them wont solve the problem either.... the key is the companies and people who provide work for the illegals.. THAT is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom