• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Set to Lift Ban on Openly Transgender Troops

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Transgender Military Ban to Be Lifted

USA Today, citing an unnamed Department of Defense official, reports the ban will end on July 1 and that Pentagon officials are gathering to finalize the details in the coming days. Individual branches of the armed services would have a year to implement new policies. A study commissioned by the Department of Defense and conducted by the RAND Corporation found that there “would be few hurdles to allowing transgender people to serve openly,” the New York Times recently reported.

Well one thing's for sure, dress codes will have to be rewritten!

If I recall, the military paid for Chelsea Manning's gender change treatment and therapy and no one seemed to bat an eye.

If I recall, the military paid for Chelsea Manning's gender change treatment and therapy and no one seemed to bat an eye.

In the military or by the general public? Do you even remember the thread about it on DP? There was a considerable amount of resistance to the idea of taxpayers paying for such treatment.

Frankly no one should be forced to pay a doctor so they will mutilate their patient. I absolutely oppose doctors castrating men with healthy testicles and I also disagree strongly with having to pay for it. PERIOD.

Transgender Military Ban to Be Lifted

Well one thing's for sure, dress codes will have to be rewritten!

****ing disaster this is.

Look, I'm trans, I'm a Vet. You have no business transitioning while active duty.

Why?

Hmm, let's see, hormones. Just start there. Are you going to deploy someone who might need special medication? We don't do that for many other conditions, why the exception here? You require special oversight, are you going to provide that to deployed troops? Or are you going to say "Not going to deploy you, you're transitioning!" That's a non-starter. Very much against this, sorry my fellow Trans warriors, you wanna transition, GET OUT first.

Manning's in jail, not deploy-able, not active.

Manning's in jail, not deploy-able, not active.

She's still considered a soldier in the military.. even while in jail.. She broke the glass ceiling and became the first transgender to demand the military recognize her identity as female.....and they did.

In the military or by the general public? Do you even remember the thread about it on DP? There was a considerable amount of resistance to the idea of taxpayers paying for such treatment.

Frankly no one should be forced to pay a doctor so they will mutilate their patient. I absolutely oppose doctors castrating men with healthy testicles and I also disagree strongly with having to pay for it. PERIOD.

It is your right to believe that...but you don't have the right to tell others what they can or can't do to their own bodies. If their insurance covers transgender treatment and therapy then what business is it of yours and by what right do you have to say they can't have it?

It is your right to believe that...but you don't have the right to tell others what they can or can't do to their own bodies. If their insurance covers transgender treatment and therapy then what business is it of yours and by what right do you have to say they can't have it?

Where did I tell anyone what to do with their bodies? Do you understand that taxpayers paid for his treatment? Do you understand that making me pay for something does in fact give me a right to have a say?

You really can not just tell me I have to pay for something and then tell me to shut up about it. That's not how this works and I'm not going to shut up.

I do not want to pay to have fellow men castrated. That's my position. Is it wrong? No, it's frankly not wrong, but that's besides the point since I do in fact have a say in how my taxes are spent.

Last edited:
People can do whatever they want in their personal life, but this decision is such a complete morale crusher that I'm disgusted.

Are we going to allow face tattoos too? Nudists? Facial piercings?

If not, how can you tell one minute fringe group that they can serve, and another that they can't?

If this is true - it will not end well. Too many cans of too many different types of worms will be opened and unforeseen disaster after disaster will ensue.

This has to be a mistake. Military requirements and transgender do not mix - civilian life, sure, no problem... military readiness, mission effectiveness, deployment capable, no way.

Renae said it well above. It's difficult enough to maintain morale and discipline when males and females are in close combat situations, much less gay and lesbian given the sexual tendencies, prejudices, irrational actions, and bad decisions and choices of young men and women without the stresses of deployment and combat... but to add transgender medical support requirements, medication support requirements, mental health support requirements, and the potential for all three plus others that I don't even know about - and then there's the uniform, grooming, and facilities changes that would require adaptations. What PT standards are they going to be held to? Male or female? I can think of dozens of problems that would make the, and I hate using this term... lifestyle... incompatible with military life and the real mission of the military.

Look, if a transgender had already gone through full medical change, and was medically and hormonally stable, then maybe, if all the other items such as facility requirements and so on could be easily adapted, and potentially assignable to a non-deployable job. But, if they aren't deployable, then why be in the military?

The Department of Defense and all of the uniformed services under the DoD have civilian support jobs by the thousands. If you can't deploy, then that's where you could serve without putting yourself or others at risk or take up a deployable slot that someone will have to cover for if you can't deploy when zero hour hits.

I just don't know. In the back of my mind, the entire time I've been typing this, I keep hearing my voice saying - The military is for killing people and blowing **** up, not for establishing social justice or making social statements or performing social experiments or setting social examples for the civilian world. You need crap blown to hell and lots of people killed? Then that's what they're for. Not much else - they aren't cops, or builders of civilizations, or peace keepers, and damn sure not an experimental society petri dish.

The US military can either be the strongest, meanest, scariest, technologically advanced fighting machine in the world - or it can be the frigging Peace Corps singing songs and holding hands and letting anyone and everyone in regardless of military readiness, mission effectiveness, and deployment capabilities.

JMHO - hell, I've seen dozens of people get Article 15's and busted in rank just for getting a sun burn and not being deployable, for Christ's sake.

Where did I tell anyone what to do with their bodies? Do you understand that taxpayers paid for his treatment? Do you understand that making me pay for something does in fact give me a right to have a say?

You really can not just tell me I have to pay for something and then tell me to shut up about it. That's not how this works and I'm not going to shut up.

I do not want to pay to have fellow men castrated. That's my position. Is it wrong? No, it's frankly not wrong, but that's besides the point since I do in fact have a say in how my taxes are spent.

Where? In your last post when you shouted....PERIOD.... as if that was the end of the debate.

Do you understand how insurance pools work? Do you understand that your money goes into a pool of money that other people have paid into...which means that it's not all your money? And when you get sick and make a claim that it is other peoples money that pays your medical bills because unless you are billionaire you could never afford to pay for it all by yourself without going bankrupt and losing your home and all your worldly possessions? So you, my dear Henrin,...are just as dependent on other peoples money to pay your medical bills as the people you're trying to de-marginalize and dehumanize. EXCLAMATION MARK. lol

Look, I'm trans, I'm a Vet. You have no business transitioning while active duty.

Why?

Hmm, let's see, hormones. Just start there. Are you going to deploy someone who might need special medication? We don't do that for many other conditions, why the exception here? You require special oversight, are you going to provide that to deployed troops? Or are you going to say "Not going to deploy you, you're transitioning!" That's a non-starter. Very much against this, sorry my fellow Trans warriors, you wanna transition, GET OUT first.

Btw...I agree with you here. Gender transitioning does need special medications and hormone therapy which isn't conducive to being battle ready.....or is it? I dunno, I wouldn't mind seeing the looks on the enemies faces when they're being attacked by a platoon of raging, hormonal transgenders. That would be a sight to see alright. lol

Last edited:
Non issue really. They have already been serving

theres already rules/systems in place for ALL people that can basically handle this

does said person fit said requirements whether they be intellectual/manual skills, physical strength, mental/physical health etc. if yes, proceed, if no do what we already do

there will be some adjusting for others and some regulations to look at but they are minor

:shrug:

Where? In your last post when you shouted....PERIOD.... as if that was the end of the debate.

Do you understand how insurance pools work? Do you understand that your money goes into a pool of money that other people have paid into...which means that it's not all your money? And when you get sick and make a claim that it is other peoples money that pays your medical bills because unless you are billionaire you could never afford to pay for it all by yourself without going bankrupt and losing your home and all your worldly possessions? So you, my dear Henrin,...are just as dependent on other peoples money to pay your medical bills as the people you're trying to de-marginalize and dehumanize. EXCLAMATION MARK. lol

Yawn. Again, the fact that the individual did in fact use taxpayer money to have his surgery does in fact make me have a say in the matter. I realize that bugs the crap out of you, but maybe that should clue you into one of the many reasons you don't want the government paying for peoples medical bills.

As for what insurance covers that really should be up to the marketplace, so I can decide on insurance plans that perhaps don't cover operations that involve castrating men.

Oh and btw, nothing I said dehumanizes anyone. If you think not supporting unethical medical treatment like castration is dehumanizing the patient then you're terribly confused on the matter.

Why?

Disagree completely. These two seem to be doing just fine being trans while on active duty.

Disagree completely. These two seem to be doing just fine being trans while on active duty.

Wow, that was amazing. I had no idea there were that many transgenders in the military serving our country. Thanks for posting that, YS.

Hey, Renae.......nevermind. I see now that transgenders are perfectly capable of deployment.

Thank you for posting that video. I served a while back. I understand things have changed in the military since my time in.

I feel bad for the way the young lady is being treated by the Army. She should be treated as the young man is by the Air Force.

However, all the above being true - the reason I wanted to thank you for the video, is to tell you that I retract what I posted earlier in this thread. I'm sure, even based on how the young lady is being treated, that it will take even more time for all the things I listed in my post as well as other factors to get worked out, but it sure seems that there are great examples of how it CAN work, and the young man for sure, is a perfect example of this.

It did my heart good to see them both, serving their nation happily, especially the young man putting his life on the line, outside the wire, for you, me and my family... and I thank them both for that. The young man especially.

Again, thanks for posting this video. It gave me a better perspective of what's happening currently in the service. I'm also proud of the young man's Chief telling him he is out of standard with his female blues and to go buy a new set of male blues. Very proud, as an Air Force vet - very proud.

Do they still force women to wear dresses?

Im not sure since I never served, but Im guessing that skirts will be an option in more ways than one now!

Why?

good reasoning!

Im not sure since I never served, but Im guessing that skirts will be an option in more ways than one now!

Just that each time I see US military in dress uniforms and such, the women are always in skirts.

People can do whatever they want in their personal life, but this decision is such a complete morale crusher that I'm disgusted.

Are we going to allow face tattoos too? Nudists? Facial piercings?

If not, how can you tell one minute fringe group that they can serve, and another that they can't?

First you'll have to tell me how this is comparable to nudists.

Ah, more fundi-mental change. Ain't it great? :roll:

Ah, more fundi-mental change. Ain't it great? :roll:

I suppose this time it's totally going to be the death of the US military. We mean it this time!!

Back
Top Bottom