• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Sent Cash to Iran as Americans Were Freed

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Obama is working overtime to cement his legacy as the worst president in history.

WASHINGTON—The Obama administration secretly organized an airlift of $400 million worth of cash to Iran that coincided with the January release of four Americans detained in Tehran, according to U.S. and European officials and congressional staff briefed on the operation afterward.

U.S. Sent Cash to Iran as Americans Were Freed - WSJ

Obama is working overtime to cement his legacy as the worst president in history.

So much for "We don't negotiate". But after Bergdahl is this a shock to anyone?

So much for "We don't negotiate". But after Bergdahl is this a shock to anyone?

At least the Bergdahl deal could be called a prisoner swap. This is illegal.

Unbelievable! And there will be Americans who justify it, who look they other way. Another check on my conspiracy theory that Obama has a plan to destroy this country. Can't wait to read the justifications for his continuous lies.

Unbelievable! And there will be Americans who justify it, who look they other way. Another check on my conspiracy theory that Obama has a plan to destroy this country. Can't wait to read the justifications for his continuous lies.

"But...but...Reagan did it!", in 3...2...1...

Did you tell the whole story? No. And it's hard to see the whole story when one is not a subscriber to the WSJ, and so one can only see the first few lines. So I dug around, and here's the rest of the story:

Source: WSJ

By JAY SOLOMON and CAROL E. LEE
Aug. 2, 2016 7:51 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON—The Obama administration secretly organized an airlift of $400 million worth of cash to Iran that coincided with the January release of four Americans detained in Tehran, according to U.S. and European officials and congressional staff briefed on the operation afterward.

Wooden pallets stacked with euros, Swiss francs and other currencies were flown into Iran on an unmarked cargo plane, according to these officials. The U.S. procured the money from the central banks of the Netherlands and Switzerland, they said.

The money represented the first installment of a $1.7 billion settlement the Obama administration reached with Iran to resolve a decades-old dispute over a failed arms deal signed just before the 1979 fall of Iran’s last monarch, Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.

The settlement, which resolved claims before an international tribunal in The Hague, also coincided with the formal implementation that same weekend of the landmark nuclear agreement reached between Tehran, the U.S. and other global powers the summer before.

Now, compare that to the fact that Iran less than two months ago finalized a deal to purchase ONE HUNDRED Boeing airliners for about $25 billion dollars (which, of course, would provide thousands of jobs here stateside). Compared to that, the $1.7B referred to above is small potatoes indeed.

In other words, correlation does NOT equal causation - the fact that the money transfer took place at about the same time as the sailors were returned to us does NOT mean that one was the reason for the other...as the WSJ article itself made clear.

Did you tell the whole story? No. And it's hard to see the whole story when one is not a subscriber to the WSJ, and so one can only see the first few lines. So I dug around, and here's the rest of the story:

Wooden pallets stacked with euros, Swiss francs and other currencies were flown into Iran on an unmarked cargo plane, according to these officials. The U.S. procured the money from the central banks of the Netherlands and Switzerland, they said.

The money represented the first installment of a $1.7 billion settlement the Obama administration reached with Iran to resolve a decades-old dispute over a failed arms deal signed just before the 1979 fall of Iran’s last monarch, Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.

The settlement, which resolved claims before an international tribunal in The Hague, also coincided with the formal implementation that same weekend of the landmark nuclear agreement reached between Tehran, the U.S. and other global powers the summer before.

Now, compare that to the fact that Iran less than two months ago finalized a deal to purchase ONE HUNDRED Boeing airliners for about $25 billion dollars (which, of course, would provide thousands of jobs here stateside). Compared to that, the $1.7B referred to above is small potatoes indeed.

In other words, correlation does NOT equal causation - the fact that the money transfer took place at about the same time as the sailors were returned to us does NOT mean that one was the reason for the other...as the WSJ article itself made clear.

What Iran purchased fom Boeing is irrelevant. More shady deals and more excuses. Same old.

Why the secrecy? Why the non-U.S. currency?

The clencher: the Iranian negotiators asked for the cash in exchange for the hostages. You left that part out, guy.

What Iran purchased fom Boeing is irrelevant. More shady deals and more excuses. Same old.

We're not a nation of thieves. The US owed Iran for the arms they purchased in 1979, but never delivered. Who would trust someone that doesn't pay it's debts?

Greetings, apdst. :2wave:

Four hundred million dollars? For releasing four Americans detained in Iran? Who are they, and WTH were they doing in Iran? I'm sorry, but I don't believe it! Iran got their money that our banks were holding returned to them when they signed the Iranian Agreement last year - are we committed to sending them hundreds of millions of dollars every year from now on? Is this story even true? Why are we are supposed to accept all ME refugees without asking for funds to take care of them? In case no one noticed, we are nearly $20 trillion in debt, with millions on government aid just to survive!

I remember reading about an American man detained in Mexico last year - he made the wrong turn and supposedly got lost when exiting Mexico, and asked for help, but we left him there! Was that story true?

Why the secrecy? Why the non-U.S. currency?

The clencher: the Iranian negotiators asked for the cash in exchange for the hostages. You left that part out, guy.

I haven't seen that part - it wasn't part of the what I could see in the article you referenced (because I am not subscribed to the WSJ), and it wasn't part of the article that quoted more of the WSJ than what I saw with your reference.

In other words, do NOT accuse me of "leaving out" pertinent data - because (as you can see for yourself) your accusation was false. I posted what I saw, and I'm not going to go subscribe to the WSJ just to dig more into what you claim.

I'm skeptical that we spent $400,000,000 for four hostages. I'm going to wait before rushing to a conclusion on this. On a slightly related note, since I'm sure it'll come up in this thread, I actually am willing to pay ransoms for American captives who are in mortal peril.

Moreover, it wasn't U.S. dollars, so...:shrug:

(Of course, playing Devil's Advocate, there's nothing saying that all that foreign money wasn't converted from U.S. currency beforehand. ;) )

We're not a nation of thieves. The US owed Iran for the arms they purchased in 1979, but never delivered. Who would trust someone that doesn't pay it's debts?

Who would trust after the red line fiasco?

How about CNN?

U.S. to pay Iran $1.7 billion in legal settlement - CNNPolitics.com

Washington (CNN)As the Obama administration welcomed the implementation of a major nuclear deal with Iran on Saturday, it also prepared to close the book on another long-standing issue between the two countries: a decades old legal claim.

The U.S. State Department announced the government had agreed to pay Iran $1.7 billion to settle a case related to the sale of military equipment prior to the Iranian revolution, according to a statement issued on Sunday.
Iran had set up a $400 million trust fund for such purchases, which was frozen along with diplomatic relations in 1979. In settling the claim, which had been tied up at the Hague Tribunal since 1981, the U.S. is returning the money in the fund along with "a roughly $1.3 billion compromise on the interest," the statement said.

And you notice we haven't heard anything more from the Ayatollah.

Is it because the new cycle is tied up with our presidential election or is Iran just keeping quite all of a sudden?

A little hush money never hurts. :mrgreen:...:ssst:

If you are really interested then right now go to drudge report:
DRUDGE REPORT 2016®

It's there on top. It's a "perishable" link. I think they make a deal with WSJ for a wider audience.

I haven't seen that part - it wasn't part of the what I could see in the article you referenced (because I am not subscribed to the WSJ), and it wasn't part of the article that quoted more of the WSJ than what I saw with your reference.

In other words, do NOT accuse me of "leaving out" pertinent data - because (as you can see for yourself) your accusation was false. I posted what I saw, and I'm not going to go subscribe to the WSJ just to dig more into what you claim.

Of course you didn't see that part.

Who would trust after the red line fiasco?

Did Obama have authority from congress to go to war over the red line?

Anyway...the US owed Iran the money...and would lose credibility if it didn't pay it's debts.

Did Obama have authority from congress to go to war over the red line?

Anyway...the US owed Iran the money...and would lose credibility if it didn't pay it's debts.

Lol !

We need to remain credible to the Iranian Shahs. To the largest State sponsor of terror ?

To the Nation thats vowed again and again to wipe Israel from the map ?

Of course you didn't see that part.

Show me how I could have without first subscribing to the WSJ. Here's a screenshot of what I see when I click on your reference:

Untitled.jpg

Okay? See the part that says "To read the whole story, subscribe or log in"? SHOW ME HOW I LIED. Show me where I could possibly have seen what you are certain that I saw.

Soooo Obama gave the Largest State sponsor of terror 400 Million dollars.

Where did he get that money? Must have been donated.....

By all the Progressives and Libs and maybe even the Clinton Foundation.

Back
Top Bottom