• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Sent Cash to Iran as Americans Were Freed

That article failed to show where Obama broke the law. All it was was partisan horse twaddle which is right up you alley. He didn't give funds to Iran, He returned funds to Iran through a settlement with Iran during a tribunal set up in the Hague which was established through treaty. I gotta give it to you though, you found a source that know lees about money laundering than you so. Well done.

That means you didn't read it.

That article failed to show where Obama broke the law. All it was was partisan horse twaddle which is right up you alley. He didn't give funds to Iran, He returned funds to Iran through a settlement with Iran during a tribunal set up in the Hague which was established through treaty. I gotta give it to you though, you found a source that know lees about money laundering than you so. Well done.

They keep trying..but they can't show anything unlawful. Just because someone blathers it, doesn't make it true.

That means you didn't read it.

I read it and it's all BS. Anybody with an above room temperature IQ can see that. Cite the exact law he broke. You can't do it.

They keep trying..but they can't show anything unlawful. Just because someone blathers it, doesn't make it true.

I read it and it's all BS. Anybody with an above room temperature IQ can see that. Cite the exact law he broke. You can't do it.

Please see #523.

Please see #523.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. However, since the article started with the premise that it was a ransom paints it in a dishonest light. Also, the US didn't gain from the US financial system, they were refunded (with interest) their own funds.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. However, since the article started with the premise that it was a ransom paints it in a dishonest light. Also, the US didn't gain from the US financial system, they were refunded (with interest) their own funds.

Read the link and get back to me.

One of the hostages has reported that the captives were detained an extra several hours at the airport and told they would not be allowed to leave until the arrival of another plane — inferentially, the unmarked cargo plane ferrying the cash.

Read more at: Iran Ransom Payment: President Obama Broke the Law by Sending Cash to Iran | National Review

At a press conference Thursday, Obama remarkably explained, “The reason that we had to give them cash is precisely because we are so strict in maintaining sanctions and we do not have a banking relationship with Iran.” Really Mr. President? The whole point of sanctions is to prohibit and punish certain behavior. If you — especially you, Mr. President — do the precise thing that the sanctions prohibit, that is a strange way of being “so strict in maintaining” them.

Read more at: Iran Ransom Payment: President Obama Broke the Law by Sending Cash to Iran | National Review

Yeah, yeah. So the payment that was agreed to several months before the incident ever happened is automatically a ransom payment.

Got it.

Sucks to be you. What else would you call it when one party pays for a product from another party and doesn't receive the product?

It was a trust fund, sport. It was not a payment. It was Iranian funds however it was no differenc then other Iranian assets that were frozen when they started taking US hostages. if they do not want assetson US territory frozen, they should cease taking US hostages. And just days after the moron in chief paid them ransom, they went out and took another four or so American's hostage. They suddenly find it very profitable.

If they are calling it ransom then it is propaganda for their radicals consumption. Why are you so concerned about Iran's radical factions who are miffed about them giving up their nuclear program and want a victory against the "Great Satan"? Are you also worried that they are upset and want to help them ease their pain? Personally I don't give a crap about them losing face. They are scum and all that support them are too.

Since when did they give up their nuclear program. Do you truly believe they are following that asinine and illegal agreement they signed?

It was a trust fund, sport. It was not a payment. It was Iranian funds however it was no differenc then other Iranian assets that were frozen when they started taking US hostages. if they do not want assetson US territory frozen, they should cease taking US hostages. And just days after the moron in chief paid them ransom, they went out and took another four or so American's hostage. They suddenly find it very profitable.

Thanks for not actually answering the question, and it wasn't a ransom.

Iran is implying and promoting that it WAS a ransom payment. So is the Trump Campaign. Who do you suppose disclosed it and sent out the pictures of the pallet of cash? The Iranian Government is putting out that false propaganda to undermine the United States of America foreign policy that was years in the making.

So the Trump campaign gets on the SAME bandwagon to undermine the foreign policy of the United States of America.

Iran, the GOP, and Donald Trump are on the SAME SIDE of this issue. Pumping out false propaganda.

That bothers me. It should bother a lot of people. Didn't 50 people that KNOW about US Foreign Policy and had access to the intelligence about Iraq SAY the same thing?

Since when did they give up their nuclear program. Do you truly believe they are following that asinine and illegal agreement they signed?

Have your READ the Deal? No. What was "illegal" about it? Do you have any facts or just regurgitated internet posts.

Sure, it wasn't an ideal agreement. Sure, the US didn't get everything they wanted.

But US Foreign Policy, Diplomatic Efforts, the support of our Allies and the economic sanctions brought Iran to the table to talk.

The alternative was to give Israel a wink and a nod and let them blow their nuclear facilities to kingdom come and start a war that would require engagement by the US Military.

The Story is not over. Sure, they will TRY to continue their nuclear program. Sure, they will be caught. Sanctions re imposed. More negotiations. A revised agreement and so on and so on.

That WORKS for two reasons. A war will be avoided and the Iranian government will not develop nuclear weapons. They day after they do, Israel will intervene with US support.

Iran knows that. If not, they will be reminded.

No it wasn't. Anyone who can think for themselves knows this. I see where you're having problems.

Then explain the timing. Why did crooked Obama administration suddenly decide on that particular date to alledgedly pay off a debt going back to the Reagan Administration. Are they so stupid as to not work out the optics of picking the day the hostages were released?

No it wasn't. Anyone who can think for themselves knows this. I see where you're having problems.

The only evidence we have that it was not a ransom is the word of the administration.

I think the coincidence is that there was a judgement that needed to be paid back to Iran, not who is to say this money was part of it or not?

I will take the hostages word for the fact that the plane was not allowed to leave Iranian soil until the cash was in hand.

If the two were not connected, as has been discussed here, than one would have had nothing to do with the other, but they were clearly connected.

This is an interesting development.

Iran Took More US Hostages In Weeks Following $400 Million Payment

US held $400M payment to Iran until detainees were released, report says | Fox News

The report, which cited U.S. officials and others briefed on the operation, said an Iranian cargo plane was allowed to pick up the money in Geneva, Switzerland once a Swiss Air Force plane carrying the three detainees left Tehran last January.

The Jounal also reported earlier this month that Justice Department officials objected to the timing of the money transfer, saying it would look like a ransom payment. Those concerns reportedly were dismissed by the State Department.

More details

Guess its confirmed now. State dept admits cash was used to leverage hostage release.

Back
Top Bottom