• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill ....BECAUSE THEY CARE SO MUCH!!

thinkforyoursel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Republicans do this because they love the veterans so much

(Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republicans blocked legislation on Thursday that would have expanded federal healthcare and education programs for veterans, saying the $24 billion bill would bust the budget.

Even though the legislation cleared a procedural vote on Tuesday by a 99-0 vote, the measure quickly got bogged down in partisan fighting.

Supporters said the measure would have brought the most significant changes in decades to U.S. veterans' programs. For example, it called for 27 new medical facilities to help a healthcare system that is strained by veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Republicans mouths are constantly frothing with hypocrisy !!:mrgreen:

Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill ....BECAUSE THEY CARE SO MUCH

VA spends $38k per veteran, more than twice the civilian cost, yet the VA is killing veterans and is unable to meet industry standards. More good money after bad is not the answer. Medical Savings Accounts is the solution. Spend less, but let veteran's act as consumers, thereby gaining market efficiencies.

Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill ....BECAUSE THEY CARE SO MUCH

VA spends $38k per veteran, more than twice the civilian cost, yet the VA is killing veterans and is unable to meet industry standards. More good money after bad is not the answer. Medical Savings Accounts is the solution. Spend less, but let veteran's act as consumers, thereby gaining market efficiencies.
You saw the under-lined segment....you had a system strained from ....BUSH and the REPUBLICAN wars .......what better time to cut the budget! :roll:

Article is from February....

From a May 23rd article:

Lawmakers and the White House have fought over almost every line in the federal budget in recent years, but have kept the budget knife far from the VA. When House lawmakers wanted to take up a noncontroversial spending bill to kick off budget talks in April, they voted on a $70 billion measure that would, among other things, provide discretionary funding for the VA for the next fiscal year, which starts in October. The bill passed 416 to 1. The Senate Appropriations Committee passed a similar measure by voice vote on Thursday.

VA's Budget, and Rolls, Have Boomed - WSJ.com

112_sr_ky_mcconnell_mitch.jpg

This douche bag

AMEN! The biggest respect we can show for our military is to NOT send them off to die unnecessarily in wars that should never been started!

People who get shot at cost more to care for?

your "market efficiency" is going to come from providing them with less healthcare.

Last edited:

AMEN! The biggest respect we can show for our military is to NOT send them off to die unnecessarily in wars that should never been started!
I've always found it appalling how the right wing systematically use and abuse the military ...and then claim they care!

When the Iraq war was underway ...they failed to protect the troops from the road-side bombs ....and here we see a group doubling down on cutting their benefits when they return.

Typical liberal...more money / government solves problems. FAIL.

Good for the Republicans.

(Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republicans blocked legislation on Thursday that would have expanded federal healthcare and education programs for veterans, saying the $24 billion bill would bust the budget.

Even though the legislation cleared a procedural vote on Tuesday by a 99-0 vote, the measure quickly got bogged down in partisan fighting.

Supporters said the measure would have brought the most significant changes in decades to U.S. veterans' programs. For example, it called for 27 new medical facilities to help a healthcare system that is strained by veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

I've always found it appalling how the right wing systematically use and abuse the military ...and then claim they care!

When the Iraq war was underway ...they failed to protect the troops from the road-side bombs ....and here we see a group doubling down on cutting their benefits when they return.

How did legislators sitting in a room in Washington prevent bomb detection thousands of miles away, exactly?

Last edited:

I don't know the complete reasoning . . . but I seriously doubt we need 27 new hospitals that cost billions of dollars to serve our veterans. Just pay for their care in the private sector . . . give them free hospitalization. It'd be much less expensive than building brick-and-mortar buildings.

The left only knows one answer to everything: throw money at it. Sickening.

Where did you get the 38K?

I don't know the complete reasoning . . . but I seriously doubt we need 27 new hospitals that cost billions of dollars to serve our veterans. Just pay for their care in the private sector . . . give them free hospitalization. It'd be much less expensive than building brick-and-mortar buildings.

Here's what's nauseating with this ginned up reasoning for why cutting the vets funding sssoooo very necessary You people ...will in turn scream bloody murder when it comes to cutting any funding for the corporate military complex!

When it comes to cutting funds for Black-water, or Halliburton...you people are steamed and ready to fight to protect that funding.

But for the fighting army ....you have all the arguments why they are ..living the good life ....with no arm, legs etc.!!

Here's what's nauseating with this ginned reasoning for the vets. You people ...will in turn scream bloody murder when it comes to cutting any funding for the corporate military complex!

When it comes to cutting funds for Black-water, or Halliburton...you people are steamed and ready to fight to protect that funding.

But for the fighting army ....you have all the arguments why they are ..living the good life ....with no arm, legs etc.!!

Take some deep breaths, my friend.

Take some deep breaths, my friend.
Bingo!! No real argument left===> Hypocrisy exposed! :mrgreen:

Bingo!! No real argument left===> Hypocrisy exposed! :mrgreen:

It's kind of hard to argue against a nearly incomprehensible post that in NO WAY address Maggie's actual point.

I would also point out that the use of "hypocrisy" is a bit ironic when a post discrediting your outdated nonsense from the OP was summarily ignored.

Dishonest debate is NOT debate.

I sorta agree with all but the last sentence, the 'right' has been throwing money at the problems as well- the WAY it is thrown is the big difference. I agree non service related coverage can be farmed out to the private sector... I HUGELY disagree it will be 'much less expensive' in the long run. The private sector is 'FOR PROFIT', it hates medicare and medicaid due to low pays. (some 'noble' doctors refuse to see medicare/medicaid) Pouring the vets into private sector will cause a need for building- someone is paying for that.

I'd like to see a system that factors disability rating, income, distance to VA hospital for a co-pay system for 40% of lower vets. The strain on the VA system is the non service related sickness or injury- smoking, obesity, liver troubles.

Those issues in the aging vets will not be treated cheaply by the Private Sector.

I sorta agree with all but the last sentence, the 'right' has been throwing money at the problems as well- the WAY it is thrown is the big difference. I agree non service related coverage can be farmed out to the private sector... I HUGELY disagree it will be 'much less expensive' in the long run. The private sector is 'FOR PROFIT', it hates medicare and medicaid due to low pays. (some 'noble' doctors refuse to see medicare/medicaid) Pouring the vets into private sector will cause a need for building- someone is paying for that.

I'd like to see a system that factors disability rating, income, distance to VA hospital for a co-pay system for 40% of lower vets. The strain on the VA system is the non service related sickness or injury- smoking, obesity, liver troubles.

Those issues in the aging vets will not be treated cheaply by the Private Sector.

Those issues aren't treated cheaply by the VA either. What? You think there's money trees in the courtyards?

I like your rating system, but would add that the subsidy should be used to buy private healthcare insurance not co-pays from the government.

Where did you get the 38K?

VA budget is $169B divided 4.3M veterans served by the VA = $38k.

This is the correct calculation vs calculations that subtract administrative costs. Private hospitals don't receive free administration, their costs include everything. So should the VA's.

The VA spends (wastes) most of the funding on administrators. Do-nothing bureaucrats who draw huge salaries. The VA is way more worried about serving Washington than serving patients. This is the way of all government service providers. This is why the private sector should be offered to veterans. Medical Savings Accounts, so the vets can choose their own doctors and insurance. Only the private sector can fix the VA. The VA that's been broken for fifty-years. This isn't an Obama issue or a Bush issue. The VA has been killing veterans for fifty-years. Because, it's government-run.

Last edited:

How did legislators sitting in a room in Washington prevent bomb detection thousands of miles away, exactly?

Detection and protection. You remember the news reports of field maintenance units 'up armoring' vehicles with whatever metal they could find. The official program was delayed, at first because some thought by the time the new units got to the troops they need would be over. After all it was just a few 'dead-enders'. Then there was a bottleneck as the upgrade packages were not farmed out to as many companies as possible for quick deployment of significant numbers.

The same problem occurred in the vest production- the company was a 'mom and pop' sized manufacturer and the BushII administration resisted calls to farm out that work. news reports on this issue highlighted other competitors body armor being bought and sent to sons serving in Iraq by their concerned parents. The Dragon Skin vests comes to mind.

The cell phone jammers is a different story, no central focus as every branch of service and the SFs all had a different system with varying degrees of effectiveness- some were quite bad. Money was thrown- over 17B for 50,000 units. The 'best' tended to block army commo and mess with control of the remote robots sent to defuse the bomb. One big problem was too much delay in setting off the bomb before the vehicle got in the kill zone, another was way too weak in the man portable version for foot patrols.

VA budget is $169B divided 4.3M veterans served by the VA = $38k.

This is the correct calculation vs calculations that subtract administrative costs. Private hospitals don't receive free administration, their costs include everything. So should the VA's.

The VA spends (wastes) most of the funding on administrators. Do-nothing bureaucrats who draw huge salaries. The VA is way more worried about serving Washington than serving patients. This is the way of all government service providers. This is why the private sector should be offered to veterans. Medical Savings Accounts, so the vets can choose their own doctors and insurance. Only the private sector can fix the VA. The VA that's been broken for fifty-years. This isn't an Obama issue or a Bush issue. The VA has been killing veterans for fifty-years. Because, it's government-run.

Ahhhh I thought so- a CON game! Either you are very ignorant of what the VA does or being deliberately dishonest. The VA does FAR more than run a hospital system for vets. The entire VA benefit package is available online- I suggest you read some of it before making very ill-informed statements like 38K per patient. :doh

Those issues aren't treated cheaply by the VA either. What? You think there's money trees in the courtyards? I like your rating system, but would add that the subsidy should be used to buy private healthcare insurance not co-pays from the government.

Those issues are treated for profit in the private sector, that is double edged- pay enough for all hospitals and doctors to participate and people start screaming about throwing money away- don't pay enough and doctors start refusing to do the work.

If you go online you can see the VA does something close to this now- just internal. The Vet with non service connected health issues has private insurance, depending on his income, any disability- he may or may not pay a small co-pay for Va care, the rest is billed to his insurance company.

Such a program can do a lift and shift to apply the program to a private hospital where the vet pays a co-pay, amount dependent on vet income, any service connected injury and the like. The VA/private insurance then picks up the rest. Paying for part of a vet's private health insurance sure would be nice- however that adds a HUGE increase to the cost of caring for vets. (I R JUAN so paying some of my private insurance sure sounds good but I have watched the VA for longer than the Walter Reed scandal- I don't hold much hope for any real change- no matter the plan)

Mind over matter and all that...:2wave:

Those of us vets who have 50% or more service connected disability get 100% free medical care including transportation costs. That means if our liver, lungs, or obesity causes us problems... The VA pays for the treatment. As they should.

Ah, another one of those. Neither side controls the market on hypocrisy. Both sides are full of it, as are their blind followers.

As to the article, it says they claim it would have bused the budget. Is that the case? I thought those on the left cared about spending, right? We know that over the past 8 years the amount of spending has dramatically increased for the VA, and yet the 'results' are getting worse. At what point does the left give up on the 'throw money at it' solution which has proven itself to not be the answer in just about every situation?

Back
Top Bottom